Why Am I Having Trouble Configuring My S8+ Mobile Hotspot?
MDASKY1

Does anyone else have a problem getting the show advanced options screen to come up when trying to configure a S8+ mobile hotspot? I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and when I am on the Configure Mobile Hotspot dialog screen, I cannot check the show advanced options dialog.  A quick dialog comes up that says Settings has stopped and restarting app.  I just checked for updates, there are none.  Is there a fix to thus problem?  Has anyone else experienced it?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Why Am I Having Trouble Configuring My S8+ Mobile Hotspot?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MDASKY1,

We want to ensure you enjoy this new phone. Let's get this Hotspot working. Can you connect to the Hotspot at all? Does it give a different option while connected?

JenelleR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

@JenelleR_VZW: I have the same issue. It started when I switched from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz via "Show advanced options" (i.e., I was able to access advanced options once). I discovered that I had a device that did not support 5 GHz wifi, so I attempted to revert to 2.4 GHz. Unfortunately, the Settings app crashes whenever I attempt to "Show advanced options". It does not matter whether or not the mobile hotspot is enabled.

TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

jeneller_vzw​: Has anyone looked any further into this? This issue still exists even after today's S8+ OS update to G955USQU1AQG4 (from NRD90M.G955USQU1AQEF).  I cannot connect the nav system of my motorhome to the phone for traffic updates as the head unit only supports 2.4 GHz wifi, and I cannot revert back from 5 GHz.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TheS1R Have you checked the nav system of the motorhome to see if they have a compatible software update?

Delores_VZW

Verizon_Customer_Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the  Correct Answer  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

jeneller_vzwvzw_customer_support This is still an issue even after multiple OS updates on the Galaxy S8+. The issue is NOT with the connecting head unit (which, in my case, ONLY supports 2.4 GHz wifi), but rather the fact that the S8+ can switch from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz for its mobile hotspot via Advanced Settings, BUT IT CAN NEVER REVERT BACK TO 2.4 GHz.

TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

jeneller_vzw vzw_customer_support I believe that i FINALLY discovered a work-around (as opposed to a solution) using the following steps:

1. Open device "Settings​".
  2. Select "Mobile Hotspot and Tethering".
  3. Select "Mobile Hotspot" (but do not turn it on) in order to open Mobile Hotspot Settings.
  4. Turn on "Wi-Fi sharing".    <== This is the critical step in the work-around.
  5. Select the "Turn on Wi-Fi Sharing" radio button, followed by "OK", to confirm.
  6. Select "Configure Mobile Hotspot" from the pull-down menu (three-dots in upper right corner).
  7. Select the "Show advanced options" radio button.
  8. De-select the "Use 5 GHz band when available" radio button, followed by "Save".
  9. Turn off "Wi-Fi sharing".    <== This undoes steps 4 and 5 above.

The issue still exists, but the work-around allows a user to temporarily access the advanced options in order to change the broadcast channel back to 2.4 GHz.

I was on the phone with a VZW Tech Coach earlier today, and the rep wanted me to "blindly" reset ALL device settings -- I refused. I suggested that she take a Galaxy S8+, enable 5 GHz Mobile Hotspot, and attempt to revert to 2.4 GHz -- the issue is clearly repeatable. She stated that they don't have devices to use for troubleshooting -- she went on to say if I didn't like her "solution", I could call back and maybe reach another tech with a different one. Sorry, I am not going to be the guinea pig for a service that I pay for! Later, I was chatting with a SAMSUNG Care Pro, who wanted me to reset the device to factory original settings -- again, I refused. I am not going to create hours of work for myself to possibly (no guarantees) resolve an annoying problem.

TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

jeneller_vzw vzw_customer_support A little more info that may help SAMSUNG or Verizon address this issue. I do not have the same issue on my SAMSUNG Galaxy S6. One difference that I discovered between the two devices is that the S6 does not have the WiFi sharing option within the Mobile Hotspot configuration, which could be a major clue when troubleshooting.

nastybynature
Enthusiast - Level 1

jeneller_vzw vzw_customer_support So this issue has created a problem for me connecting to both of our Amazon TAP devices. Wife and I are both on VZW S8's and it does the same thing on both phones. Basically it will not see the WI-Fi hotspot unless I turn on Wi-Fi sharing and am connected to a Wi-Fi router which pretty much makes it useless as a hotspot for these devices. Buddy at work has an AT&T S8 and he is able to check the "show advanced options dialog" without it freezing and restarting the app. Of course my Amazon TAP has no issue seeing or connecting to his S8 hotspot since the glitch is not there. VZW will never address this on a real level of resolve I am guessing... Sad since we pay about $300 for 3 S8's on unlimited data plan. 😞 How much you want to bet no one from VZW even replies to this in a way that is not canned response of call in and work with tech support and will actually lead to an actual resolution. If I go to a VZW store, the demo phones they have on the floor have the same issue with the "show advanced options dialog" doing what the OP has stated. Yet they cannot find the issue and fix it on their own after all these posts?

Mike005
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been struggling with this issue for months now, with both the S8+ and Note 8. I even sent back a Note 8 hoping it was a hardware issue. I followed every troubleshooting step Verizon support suggested. Still, 8 months later and no solution.