Re: When will S5 users get the 6.0 Marshmallow update?
rdhqcpro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I've seen the S5 on the list as being scheduled for an upgrade to Marshmallow by Samsung, but I stand by my previous statements. 

* That list indicates the intention of Samsung  to send carriers their Samsung (Vietnam?) tailored Marshmallow software to the carriers specific for each of their devices.  What then needs to happen is for Verizon to get their grubby little fingers on the software and throw their junk in there, and THEN push it out to their S5 clients.  Given that they have failed to push out ANY of the sorely needed subsequent Samsung S5 Lollipop updates to fix all the 5.0 bugs I have my doubts that our S5's will see 6.0. 

* There is also the statement made by a Samsung Representative who I spoke with personally at my local Verizon Store who recommended AGAINST installing 6.0 on an S5, if and when it arrives, as the S5 does not have the hardware resources to run Marshmallow as Google intended it to be run.  If they DO push out Marshmallow I'll bet you that we get 6.0.0 which just like our 5.0.0 is known to have many bugs.  The chance then of Verizon pushing out a later  version of Marshmallow with required bug fixes would be ZERO.

The best solution for the S5 is the latest Lollipop updates which have been sent to Verizon during the course of the last 9 months or so on multiple occasions with multiple updates of which Verizon chose NOT to release for our phones.

I would LOVE for Verizon to prove me wrong and either push out 5.1.1 for the S5 or push a relatively bug free version of Android 6 to the S5 which does not bog down these phones, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

AlCapone

Marshmallow is being rolled out to the S5 by Samsung worldwide beginning today, but so far, no word on Verizon's timing.

0 Likes
free2bamy2010

You don't want it. It has [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] my phone up.

0 Likes
Tritone777
Enthusiast - Level 3

How so?  Is it rooted? Care to elaborate?

0 Likes
DMZMAN
Contributor - Level 1

As of today, Q1 is officially over.  I'm sticking with KitKat until further notice !

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend
0 Likes
Lankylegs
Contributor - Level 1

Well its official. Big Red can't even beat sprint to the update. Guess they can't figure out how to make the bloatware work on it.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung has different teams working on updates. Different devices require different testing and certification approvals before releasing the update. The various devices get completed at different times.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Lankylegs
Contributor - Level 1

So what you are saying is the largest carrier in the US was stuck behind Sprint to get the update. Everybody knows the update was released to the carriers a month ago or more.  Cmon man. We can't even get the 5.1.1 update. Because Big Red don't care about this phone or the customers who were screwed with it. They think I will just upgrade when my contract is up. Nope going to another carrier. I pay for insurance on this junk and they just send another piece of junk. My friend has a fully updated s5 with AT&T that works wonderfully. What is the point of being on the best network if the carrier is going to brick a perfectly good phone. Can't blame it on Samsung if the updates work fine on other carriers. I know half of this will be deleted and that's fine. People aren't stupid as Big Red believes they are.

deloused
Master - Level 3

Hmmm, A) Crappiest software update timelines with Verizon or B) Crappiest network coverage and speeds with Sprint. Choose which works best for you.

0 Likes