What sim cards will work in my Unlocked Galaxy S5?
Rondo470
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm traveling to Italy for a few months.  Me and my partner have a Galaxy s5 and Note 3.  We would like to use an Italian Sim card for phone and data when we arrive in Italy.  I undersatnd the phone is unlocked, but what difficulties may we incurr?  I really dont want any surprises when I get there. Is it that simple as Verizon says.. just remove the current sim card and replace with international sim card and it works?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S5 - is it Unlocked or not for an Italian SiM card?
deloused
Master - Level 3

It is as easy as you mention, as your phone is unlocked (just be sure to power the phone off and on after changing sims).

You'll also want to make sure you buy a sim that fits your phone from a carrier that has compatible frequencies to work with your device for calls, messaging and data.

Vodafone, Wind, and Tim SIM cards are compatible wth your device. Tre SIM cards are not compatible.

Depending on the carrier network settings it's possible that the phone's native personal hotspot may not function properly with a foreign sim.

View solution in original post

deloused
Master - Level 3

It is as easy as you mention, as your phone is unlocked (just be sure to power the phone off and on after changing sims).

You'll also want to make sure you buy a sim that fits your phone from a carrier that has compatible frequencies to work with your device for calls, messaging and data.

Vodafone, Wind, and Tim SIM cards are compatible wth your device. Tre SIM cards are not compatible.

Depending on the carrier network settings it's possible that the phone's native personal hotspot may not function properly with a foreign sim.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rondo470, Going to Italy a few months sounds outstanding! Wow. You are going to have a wonderful time. I don’t blame you wanting to make sure all goes well. I know having mobile services will be essential for your trip. What you have heard is correct. You can place a global SIM Card into the devices and they will function on your trip to Italy. I wanted to ask, how are you planning to use the devices? Were you looking to use more voice or data features? Also, I wanted to give you more information on our Global Travel plans for your trip. http://vz.to/1LYqeMU
VeronicaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S5 -  is it Unlocked or not for an Italian SiM card?
Rondo470
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry, but I don't trust Verizon and feel like once I arrive in Italy, I'll be forced to use Verizon's very expensive travel data and phone packages.

Is there a way I can test this out now, before I get to Italy?  Maybe buy an Italian TiM sim card and put it in the phone ?  Do you think that is a good idea? deloused

0 Likes
Rondo470
Enthusiast - Level 2

You data plans and phone calls are too expensive.  If they were reasonable, then I wouldn't have to search for a local carrier network to use.

So, what you are telling me, is that I can place a foreign sim card in from Italy and my phone will no longer be on Verizon network, no charges from Verizon?

Verizon Wireless Customer Support

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

I definitely don't blame you for being skeptical and double checking to make sure you don't don't receive any surprise charges! I can assure you, the only way a carrier could charge you usage for using their service would be to have their SIM installed, and connected to a cellular  network.

For example, if you arrived in Italy but kept your Verizon sim in the phone, had your cellular network connection setting off, even if your phone was on, you could still access all settings, camera, and connect to wifi around you to access the Internet or apps that connect thru wifi and Verizon wouldn't be able to charge you for any usage as the sim wouldn't connect to any cellular network. (You wouldn't have any signal strength bars showing, as there would be a no service indicator for cellist instead). It would operate similarly if you popped out the SIM card before arriving or before you power the phone on in Italy except you'd have a 'no sim' indicator showing instead of no service indicator.

You can test it out, even before your trip in the US by removing the sim, connecting to wifi, or even inserting a compatible sim from another domestic carrier like T-mobile or AT&T if you know someone that will let you test it out real quick to see what it looks like.

It's a 'Subscriber Identity Module' card that stores and transmits your Verizon phone number as well as security protocol to connect to available cellular networks, so with the network setting off or the card not installed the phone wouldn't be able to connect to any cellular network to be charged anything billing wise. If you were to put a friend's T-Mobile domestic sim in here or a TIM foreign sim while traveling and make a call, the phone number being transmitted would be your friends (here) or a local number from the city in Italy where you purchased the SIM/plan and would be billed based on the plan that is associated with the phone number. Also, only Verizon sims can connect to the Verizon network so you'd be safe.

Worst case scenario- if you travel to Italy and turn your phone on with the Verizon sim still installed before turning off your cellular network connection, this is the only way Verizon could charge you for international services.

It wouldn't be a surprise though, as as soon as your Verizon sim connected to an Italian cellular network without an international plan on your Verizon account you'd receive a free text message from Verizon saying- 'Welcome to Italy! Calls are $1.79/min texts are $0.50 to send & $0.05 to receive and data is $2.05/mb'. The message would also include the dialing pattern instructions to be able to make calls out. I wouldn't suggest trying this one out tho, as especially if your number and phone  hasn't connected to a network in a while a bunch of text messages and emails could come in, and apps could sync and update causing unwanted charges to add up quickly. Verizon tends to roam on Vodafone in Italy, and while they have the best coverage and speed overall (especially in the populated areas) you can choose a SIM card and service from any compatible sim carrier that works specifically where you'll be traveling, and also based on the plan pricing they offer.

Rondo470
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks.. I'll try the sim card here in the USA first and see if it works..

And i'll pass on testing the Verizon network abroad.  I once has At&t and had added a 800 mb global travel package for my trip to Mexico and the second we landed in Mexico , I got an alert that I used up all my 800 mb of data.  hahahahaha... I argued for months... they insisted I had a ghost program on my cell phone downloading data.  whatever,,, I just dropped them, and they lost me and my family as customers..  that's why im leary of international data plans.  anyway.. thanks...