Re: Verizon vs. unlocked Galaxy S10
wombat14

So, say I have all of that turned on and wifi calling still doesn't work. I've triple checked all of the settings, and all I have is a glorified brick. Any suggestions beyond those above?

0 Likes
Stryke

Just discovered tonight that video calling is a Verizon feature courtesy of this topic that came up in a Google search.  Here I thought that I was avoiding Verizon bloatware for my wife's new phone, just to find that her unlocked S10 can't do video calling.  

The best laid plans......

Looks like we will have to go back to the store tomorrow and see about swapping for a Verizon version...

0 Likes
cccerberus

I too bought a factory unlocked S10 direct from samsung, only to find that while visual voicemail works, video calling does not. There is no button for advanced calling features nor any evident way to enable HD Voice etc.

Not a deal breaker, but definitely disappointing

0 Likes
akp55

These features you speak of are actually pretty standard now days.  The only thing I'd give an exception for is video calling.  I .curr curre using an unlocked s10e.  It's great to have VoWiFi, ToWiFi, visual voicemail, and not having Verizon bloatware and not having to pay the VZW tax.  Pleased stop thinking cell networks are something special, it's just an evolution of the pstn.  HD Voice is a new std codec same as G.711a/u. Verizon and ATT bragged about placing those calls between thier networks.   Also look over seas where all this dirt works across mobile networks.   Stop letting us carriers fleece us

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Although they cannot be removed, in many cases, the unneeded apps can be disabled. They are still in the phone, but, inoperative.

CharlieOjs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Please let me add to this thread.... for whatever it is worth.

I purchased the S10+ Verizon version directly from Samsung last month and paid full price less my 9+ (Verizon version) trade. I purchased the Verizon variant because I wanted Wi-Fi calling, HD calling and visual voicemail without issues or work-arounds.

The phone has always been on my Verizon account; but when I travel internationally I like to put my Google Fi SIM in. That worked perfectly on the 9+ for a year. It was a simple process to swap the SIM in and out.

Enter the S10+. As it turns out, the Verizon version of the Galaxy S10+, purchased  directly from Samsung, comes LOCKED to Verizon. It simply is NOT true that none of Verizon’s phones are carrier locked. The Fi SIM refused to activate with a pop up error indicating that the phone was locked to Verizon and suggesting I call them. 

It took 7 calls to Verizon over two weeks before I finally found a technical person knowledgeable enough to help. He happened to be in Verizon international tech support in California. He knew exactly what the problem was, somehow marked the IMEI as “unlocked” on their server side and then had me power cycle the phone. Voilá!! The phone was instantly unlocked and Fi worked. He told me that the unlock is permanent and will survive factory resets, etc. Prior to calling Verizon, I was able to confirm with Samsung support that the phone was carrier locked..... after the fact of course. 

I am still shocked that Verizon and Samsung are able to get away with this. There is absolutely NO indication on the Samsung site now that indicates the phone is carrier locked. Besides, I was always under the impression that Verizon wasn’t even allowed to sell locked phones due to some FCC settlement. That is obviously not completely correct.

As a side note, the Verizon tech made a great suggestion and then reconfigured my iPhone 10 XS Max (second phone). He put my Verizon “SIM” on the eSIM rather than physical SIM. That left the physical SIM slot open for my Fi SIM. Now I have both carriers active on one phone...... I am able to use voice with Verizon and data with Fi. Completely configurable any way you want. Unfortunately the S10+ doesn’t support eSIM.

kevv2288
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an unlocked S10E on Verizon, advanced calling is enabled if you have VoLTE calls enabled. You're right there is no indication of HD Voice but I can tell it works. Call someone on VZW or AT&T with HD voice, the audio quality is so much better and sounds high quality. WiFi calling works too. No native video calling, but there is always Duo?

Jhunsbar

The reason unlocked versus locked on a trade in is 300dollars

0 Likes
Psycho_Guppy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Because it's $100+ cheaper than the Verizon phone, as well as the fact that there is no reason for all of the features to not work... Well, other than Verizon wanting to charge an extra $100+.

Curmudgeon416

How much of the internal storage doe the bloatware tie up on an S10.  That was the killer on my S5.

0 Likes