Update ruined SD Card
BLUEX232
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone else have an update yesterday for S7 that destroyed their SD card? Phone says it's not inserted and when I try and back it up on the computer it completely freezes windows explorer...its ridiculous that an update would destroy an SD card. You should not have to take your phone apart and remove an SD card to safely do an update.

Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: Update ruined SD Card
bearone21
Legend

sd cards die & are cheap to replace.....didn't come with the phone, something you added.

many here advocate removing the card for updates, i never had a problem leaving the card in for all updates, including os updates.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, BLUEX232. We're very sorry you've had this experience. I checked our external and internal forums, as well as reports from Samsung, and I have not found any other cases of this. It's possible that the timing of the card failure is coincidental. Do you encrypt your memory cards within your device settings? When you're trying to connect your card to your computer, is this by connecting through the phone, or are you using a card reader drive?

Eric_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BLUEX232
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have never had an issue with leaving my SD card in with other updates either, which is why I did not take it out for this one. I will from now on though as I don't want to loose all my stuff again. It's just irritating that this happen.

BLUEX232
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was using my phone fine before the update and was using an app that has been moved to my SD card when the update popped up on my phone, so I know the card worked immediately before installing the update. When the update was complete the phone said the SD card was not inserted and all the apps moved to the SD card were greyed out. I am using a card reader to connect to my computer. I can see the files on the card but trying to remove/copy anything from the card locks up my computer. I have tried letting windows try and fix the card and it says it is not able to fix it.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

how old was the sd card??

BLUEX232
Enthusiast - Level 2

About a year.

bearone21
Legend

i stick with cards graded "10" & have multiple back-ups of the same data/pics/docs, not depending on just the one card.

BLUEX232
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have my photos/videos backed up by google automatically (however I normally still like to keep the files on my computer as well which I cannot do now, I take a lot of pics/vids so I empty it every couple of months as it is), it's still very time consuming to have to reinstall amost every app on your phone and have to purchase a new card because of an update.

0 Likes