Update destroyed SD Card
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

I.AM.BEYOND.FURIOUS.

Ever since the 4.3 update, I've been limping along with my handicapped S3.  Using it, but it has NOT been the pleasure to use that it was before the update.

Now, another accidental update was pushed on me, I couldn't stop it, and it has destroyed my SD Card.

I can't tell you the dirty words that are flowing through my head right now over this.

Is there anything I can do, or is my card just dead?  And HOW DO I MAKE THEM PAY FOR WHAT THEY HAVE TAKEN FROM ME!  Not just data and photos, but my TRUST.

0 Likes
Re: Update destroyed SD Card
S3_Victim

New discussion started at Stop killing my phone with updates Verizon

>>Message edited as required by the

0 Likes
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon isn't going to get ME to spend more money on their expensive phones.  I'm not necessarily going to leave Verizon over it, because a lot of these issues are consistent across all carriers.  But this particular set of problems is more a Samsung issue.

I have heard other people say that as much as they tried to push off update installation, eventually they couldn't avoid it.  I wish I could get an answer to turning off updates; however that question no longer matters as I will no longer ever use a Samsung phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BirdOnTheBeach,

Oh goodness, I am sorry to hear your SD card stopped working after the OS update. I know how important my pictures, videos and other memories are to me so I can understand needing this to work as soon as possible. Let's get this resolved, have you tried inserting your SD card to another device to see if it is read? Do you get an error message? Were your pictures backed up to the Verizon Cloud? Please provide additional details so we can further assist you.

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BirdOnTheBeach, we want you to get the best deals and have the best wireless experience on your device. Software updates are sent to your device over the air directly from Samsung to resolve issues, implement new features, and fix bugs. Unfortunately, it can sometimes conflict with 3rd party application software on your device and caused issues. We apologize that once the software update is retrieved, we're unable to remove it from your phone.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSuppot

0 Likes
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

The issues that have occurred with this Samsung phone are not "occasional" or "sometimes".  A LOT of people have serious negative effects from them.

I don't have that many 3rd party apps on my phone for the "awesome" (as most CS reps will say) updates to conflict with.

Too many people have their functionality messed up by these updates.  Microsoft seems to be able to update my Windows OS without messing me up, without destroying my data, without deleting software they have no business deleting.

Why can't Samsung manage to do this?

They owe me an SD card, and anyone else whose cards got fried.  There are plenty of us out here.

0 Likes
S3_Victim

Funny enough I had an SD card killed last November, I don't remember if there was an update right before that.  Pretty new card and was just fried.

0 Likes
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

Good point.  "Correlation does not equal causation" as they say.

Unfortunately, for a LOT of people here, their cards WERE suspiciously fried right after an update.

I wish it were easier to get the card out of the phone.  I have an Urban Armor case, and it's not easy to get off.  Thinking now that a phone with external access to the slot would be better...I can remove the card easily to protect it, insert it when I need it.

Phhht.  First-world problems...

0 Likes
dmarcus591

I had the same problem after upgrading to kitkat. Fortunately a google search came up with a couple of steps that corrected the issue.  I'm not posting the solution because I don't know if its allowed.

The one issue that I haven't been able to fix is an intermittent issue with an inability to turn on the wifi.  A reboot fixes this for awhile, but as you know the reboot takes awhile.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how frustrating it is to not be able to use the SD card since the update, BirdOnTheBeach.
The Memory card (as with all accessories) has its own warranty outside of the phone warranty. If this is the SD card that came with the device and it is SanDisk, you would contact

contact SanDisk: 866-726-3475.
  • Hours of operation: 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. PT M - F
  • Email: support@sandisk.com

If the SD card does not show SanDisk you would contact Samsung at Samsung call center: 888-987-4357 to get a replacement device.
I apologize for any confusion or frustration that this has caused.
-Tamara

0 Likes