Unable to receive short code sms
STELOW93
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am unable to receive short code SMS from our emergency alert system. I have factory reset my phone, called the alert provider and had them send a targeted message directly to my phone and nothing came through. If I send "Help" to the short code number, ill get an automated response. I have received alerts from this provider before, I only became aware of not receiving the alerts when a tornado touched down less than a mile from our house.

Android 8.0.0

Samsung S8+ (SM-G955U)

0 Likes
Re: Unable to receive short code sms
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Stelow93, We know the importance of receiving short codes for emergency alerts; we're here to help. Are you able to receive any other short codes? Do you have emergency alerts turned on in the device settings (settings, privacy, and emergency, emergency alerts, tap three dots in the right corner, setting, alert reminder)?

Trinette_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
STELOW93
Enthusiast - Level 2

Emergency alerts are enabled, I receive sms from other short code numbers with no issues. others in my office have no problems receiving the text messages either.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the details and the steps that you have taken, STELOW93.  What is the short code that you are not receiving messages from?  Although you are able to receive from other short codes, please make sure that this is enabled: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-216116/. Just out of curiosity are the other users who are able to receive messages also Verizon Wireless customers or with other providers?

Adam_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
STELOW93
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have enabled premium messages already I have also read my phone again

today. Still no luck. The number is 24639. My wife's phone, also Verizon,

receives the messages just fine.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018, 13:25 vzw_customer_support <forums@verizonwireless.com>

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi STELOW93,

Thanks for the information. I've done a little research on this number, and I'm showing that this 5-digit number is from a marketing company. Have you ever received messages from this number? I ask because if you have ever replied "STOP" to the message, they would no longer come to you. In fact, you can use STOP, QUIT, CANCEL, or UNSUBSCRIBE. I don't show that this is an emergency alert at all. Is that how it comes up on your wife's phone? What does the message say when she gets one from 24639?

Christina_VZW

0 Likes
STELOW93
Enthusiast - Level 2

The number is a private mass notification system our organization uses to send alerts to everyone. Right now they are sending test messages to our phones, she gets them and I don’t. I’ve talked with the provider and they have removed my account from their system and we have re-established a new one and it still doesn’t work. We’re pretty sure now that the problem is with their system, as I can receive an automated reply when I text “Help” to the number, but when they send an alert, nothing comes through.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

STELOW93, the additional information to work toward a resolution is greatly appreciated. It was mentioned the problem appears to be with the third party system, but we would be happy to launch a full investigation and ensure the problem is not on our side, if needed. Please check your Private Messages on this forum for further assistance.    

David_VZW

0 Likes