Trouble sending group texts to iPhones with wifi turned on
ba6yd1n0

So the rest of my family all have iPhones, I've never had one, and I can receive their group texts with no issues. But when I try to reply with my samsung galaxy s4 mini the message with eventually fail. If I retry sending it after turning off the wifi it works. I originally thought it was the poor reception at my house but it happens at work as well. I can send individual texts to those iPhone users with no issues. And I do have it set to auto switch between wifi and and mobile networks. This is extremely inconvenient, i should always be able to send texts no matter the phone on the other end.

0 Likes
Re: Trouble sending group texts to iPhones with wifi turned on
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm really sorry for this inconvenience with your group messages ba6yd1n0! Group Messages go through as MMS, (Multi Media Messages), which can only be transferred through our Mobile Network. They cannot be processed over WiFi. This is why you're getting this error. Regular messages, (texts/SMS), can be sent/received via WiFi, as you mentioned.

I hope this helps clarify what's going on.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ba6yd1n0

but i have it set to automatically switch and use mobile data to send messages. So why do I have to turn off the wifi to force it to use mobile data to send messages when it should be doing this on its own?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ba6yd1n0

We definitely want to make sure your messages can go through correctly for you! Do the iPhones all have Group Messaging turned on? They can check in Settings, Messages, Group Messaging. Does this happen when you're connected to any WiFi network, or just at home?

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes