Transferring from old to new Galaxy 5S
wdunwoody
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having more trouble than necessary transferring everything from an old Galaxy S5 to a brand new Galaxy S5. In general, my preferences do not seem to transfer correctly or completely. Specifically, my Message+ text messages, pictures/images associated with incoming or outgoing messages, contacts, pictures associated with contacts; have not transferred completely or correctly. I have been able to copy and/or backup the pictures in the Gallery.

What has happened is that only some messages transfer correctly. For one contact, I only have messages from a year or more ago and the last month on the new phone. Anything in between is missing. However, I also now have an "untitled" contact that has messages that belong to other contacts. Haven't looked long enough to determine whether all the missing messages from other contacts ended up there or not. Everything still exists correctly on the old phone.

I tried using the Coolmuster Android Assistant to backup and restore. It "appears" that it would not transfer the Message+ messages because Message+ is a Verizon app and not default Android messaging...   I then tried Samsung Smart Switch, again with mixed results.

I tried installing a microSDHC memory card to backup files from the old phone. The phone recognized the card and allowed me to format and mount it. But when I go to backup the conversations and choose "download", there is no "choice" shown to download to the memory card.

This is getting frustrating...

What I had done is that I removed the Verizon SIM card from the old phone and installed it into the new phone. The new phone initialized and downloaded updates; and I can make and receive calls and texts. I then tried using the methods stated above to backup from the old phone and restore to the new phone...  with the mixed results I have described. I have no "cloud" storage services.

What did I do wrong here? I can always put the Verizon SIM back into the old phone, factory reset the new phone and start all over. But shouldn't there be one single, simple method that would essentially completely "clone" the new phone from the old one?

Suggestions appreciated!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Transferring from old to new Galaxy 5S
mama23dogs
Legend

Did you use Samsung smart switch?  Works every time. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wdunwoody, 

Congratulations on your new phone. We want to make this switching process as seamless as possible. Our apologies that this has not been the case for you. Let's get this fixed for you. Our recommendation is to start the process over again. We would recommend resetting the new phone and transferring the information again. There are several third-party applications that you can use, but we do not have any confirmation on what they will transfer.

We can recommend using Samsung https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/ Smart Switch to transfer the information, as I have used this myself. We also have our own Verizon Cloud https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-use-verizon-cloud/#viewmedia application to assist with the transfer.

JenelleR_VZW

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

"a new s5", i still have my s5 that i use on wi-fi.

smart switch will xfer messages, contacts, both lock screen + home screen pics & both ned to be on wi-fi.

large quantities of pics & music would not xfer & needed to use usb cable to drag/drop from both pc & usb sticks.

if you don't have pics & music

0 Likes
Re: Transferring from old to new Galaxy S5
wdunwoody
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the info! Everyone seems to agree that SmartSwitch is the way to go, but still no luck! Last night I again backed up ther old phone, factory reset the new phone and then restored to the new phone...  but the messages again did not transfer completely... Open Message+ on the old phone and there are 49 "conversations" shown. Open Message+ on the new, restored phone and there are only 6 conversations shown; and each "conversation" is incomplete compared to what is on the "old" phone. 5 of the conversations only have the last 10 days of messages. The 6th has messages starting from 6 months ago all the way back to the beginning, but nothing from the most recent 6 months! There is something else going on here, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what! Any further suggestions?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@wdunwoody wrote:

Thank you for the info! Everyone seems to agree that SmartSwitch is the way to go, but still no luck! Last night I again backed up ther old phone, factory reset the new phone and then restored to the new phone...  but the messages again did not transfer completely... Open Message+ on the old phone and there are 49 "conversations" shown. Open Message+ on the new, restored phone and there are only 6 conversations shown; and each "conversation" is incomplete compared to what is on the "old" phone. 5 of the conversations only have the last 10 days of messages. The 6th has messages starting from 6 months ago all the way back to the beginning, but nothing from the most recent 6 months! There is something else going on here, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what! Any further suggestions?

Your messages are backed up with message+.  Once active with your SIM card, and you open messages, the messages will sync to the phone.  This can take several minutes, just be patient   

0 Likes
wdunwoody
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your suggestion. This whole data and file storage on a cell phone is brand new to me! I can find where most all internal files are on a Windows computer, but I am stumped when it comes to a Galaxy S5.

Having said that, my understanding of what you are saying is that the new phone will sync with the Verizon servers. However, it is also my understanding that those servers only keep the last 90 days of message data. I've had my original S5 for over a year and a half... and all of those messages and attached photos are still there on the old S5. That is why I am trying to backup and restore everything from the actual phone itself.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@wdunwoody wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion. This whole data and file storage on a cell phone is brand new to me! I can find where most all internal files are on a Windows computer, but I am stumped when it comes to a Galaxy S5.

Having said that, my understanding of what you are saying is that the new phone will sync with the Verizon servers. However, it is also my understanding that those servers only keep the last 90 days of message data. I've had my original S5 for over a year and a half... and all of those messages and attached photos are still there on the old S5. That is why I am trying to backup and restore everything from the actual phone itself.

Ah, I see what you mean.  Mine did sync much older messages, but that doesn’t mean it works for everyone.  

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried using a third-party text backup and restore app from the Play Store like

SMS Backup and Restore

Install the app on the old phone and run a backup, with the backed up file set to store to your Google Drive account.  Then install the app to your new phone and restore your messages from that backed up file.

0 Likes
wdunwoody
Enthusiast - Level 2

SMS Backup & Restore has been suggested by several people. It will definitely be one of the next things I try! Thanks!

0 Likes