Time zone confusion
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is not specific to the Galaxy S6, but it happens to be the phone I am using right now and it's happened twice today - and also to my daughter in law with a Verizon phone (but the Note 4).  The time jumps back an hour. 

Investigation revealed that the Auto Time Zone was resetting itself to Alaska Time - both u of us could turn off the Auto time zone, manually set it to Pacific Time, and all was well.  Reset to Auto Time zone, and ait jumped to Alaska Time again.  Leave it off, manually set to Pacific, it's all good.

Earlier today when it happened, I didn't change settings, but did reboot the phone and it came up the correct time.  But a couple of hours later, it was off by an hour again.  That's when we discovered the time zone was showing as Alaska.  Just an FYI, I'm not even close to a border, time one or otherwise, I'm in Northern CA between San Francisco and Sacramento with excellent 4G Coverage.

I've seen several questions recently about time zones being "off", by one or more hours.  What causes it and how do we make it stop?  It's confusing when you glance at the phone and have to double check with other clocks when it doesn't seem right!

Tags (1)
Re: Time zone confusion
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Add me to that list. It occurred for the first time this morning. Only the Moto X I'm using jumped ahead one hour from Central Daylight Time to Eastern Daylight Time. For the moment I have turned off the automatic time zone selection. Funny thing is, I'm actually closer to the Mountain Time Zone boundary then the Eastern Time Zone boundary.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sunspots?  It's odd how it seems random.  Satellite signals bouncing through the atmosphere in odd ways?  I've set mine back to Auto Time zone and for the last 24 hours or so it's stayed on Pacific Time.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ann154, we want to make sure that your device is always showing the correct time. We don't want you to be late or super early for any important meetings or appointments. I'd love to have a chance to look closer into the area that your currently in to see if we are getting reports about time changes. Can you please provde me with the zip code that your in? Is the phone showing the correct time at this moment? Please keep us posted. I'm looking forward to looking into this issue for you.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

So far it has been a one time glitch as since that time I have been connected to several different cellular towers across two Time Zones. I also believe it would be more pertinent to address the OP's original message instead of one of the member replies as they have seen the issue more often and done more data recording then me.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Fulcrum
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our Moto X in the 94523 area code was thinking we were in Alaska this evening.  Turned off "Get time zone from network" & set it to PDT & that fixed the calendar and displayed time.  Switching auto time zone back on still reverts the phone to Alaskan time zone as of this posting.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fulcrum, you are not far from me as I'm in the 94534 zip code - since resetting back to auto time zone after leaving it on manual for a day or so, it has stayed on Pacific time, as far as I am aware.  But it was showing the same behavior as yours when it originally happened -- auto would cause it to jump to Alaska time.  Weird, random, seems to happen on several phone models.  I wonder if it's specific to Verizon or if this happens on other carriers too?

Suecoho
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue.  I'm on the Oregon coast (97439 zip code), and this morning my husband woke me at 6 a.m. to ask if I forgot to set my alarm.  It normally goes off at 5:45 a.m. so I am not late for work.  I checked my phone, it said it was 5:00 a.m.  I then looked at all the clocks in the room and saw they all said 6:00, as did his phone.

I went into my phone and found that the time zone, which was set to Automatic date and time, and Automatic time zone, had changed to Alaska. I checked the map (google) and it showed me at my house in Oregon.

I shut off wireless, shut down the phone, removed the battery, turned everything off and back on (the automatic settings) and it went back to Pacific time, however this afternoon it has changed to Mountain Standard Time.  Mountain Standard Time appears to be the same as Pacific Standard Time (?) as it's now showing 1:16 p.m. (that's what my computer says too).  I thought that Mountain Time was 1 hour later than Pacific Time???

This is so annoying.  I assume that if I turn off the Automatic Time Zone and set it to Pacific my alarm will go off at 5:45 a.m. so I won't be late for work, but it would sure be nice if the options on the phone worked correctly!

Suecoho
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you know if this issue has been resolved?  I am having troubles with my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 doing the same thing...(I posted a reply to SuzyQ today).

Thanks!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Suecoho,

Let’s get your clock to clicking on time. I am image what a unpleasant surprise it would have been if you would have woken up late. Thank you for providing all the steps you have taken in efforts to get your clocks working correctly. What type of phones do you have? Did you try removing the Sim card as well?

Keep us posted.

YareliM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes