cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

Texting in Europe

Miembro

OK, I am sure this topic has been covered but I did some searched and I still can't find what I am looking for.  I am going to london, paris, etc for a few weeks and I will need my phone.

When I leave the country I usually go get a local SIM card in my destination country.  Even though Verizon is CDMA (instead of GSM), the Galaxy S III is quad band and will take the card.  The phone calls work.  The data plans used to not work because Verizon blocked the ability to change your phone's APN (which directs the data).  This has since been corrected and I saw that I can change my APN so I will be able to get data services which my foreign SIM card (as long as that SIM plan has it, I sign up for it, etc).

Here is my issue:

I am trying to figure out a way to still get my text messages when overseas.  I will not be on the verizon network so they will not come thorugh that was (and I don't want to pay international fees).  There are a few apps like text+ that will allow messages to come via WIFi (which is what I want) but they assign you a new phone number or require both sending and receiving phones to have the same app/program.

I am looking for a simple program where I can receive and send my text messages over my new SIM card's data plan (or at least WiFi).  I don't want to use a different number.

When I travel I usually hard forward all of my calls to a domestic VoIP number like from CallCentric or some service like that.  I then forward the CallCentric number to my new foreign phone number.  The CallCentric forwarding makes each phone call pretty inexpensive -- It's a good solution for a few weeks.

The issue, of course, is that I can't forward text messages like I can the voice calls.  I would love the ability to use WiFi or someting to be able to check in on my text messages.  The new Verizon Messages app kinda of gets at what I am trying to do, however it does say that international rates will apply.  I also read that: "The Wi-Fi Sync solution with Verizon Messages 3.X is no longer supported." I don't know if this applies to me but I'd like to find out now before I go abroad.

Does anyone know of an app that I can get which will allow me to receive my text messages via a phone's (other then my own, because I will have a forgein SIM) data plan.  Again, I don't want to get a google voice number or a second phone number, I want my clients to be able to text me like they always do - on the same number.  And I will get them on my new SIM (same old phone, new SIM with data plan) when I am in Europe.

Does my question make sense?  Any ideas?

Labels (1)
Etiquetas (3)
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas
Highlighted

Re: Texting in Europe

Community Manager
Community Manager

Billypat,

Sounds like you have quite the trip coming up! I can certainly appreciate your concern. I did look thoroughly into the issue for you. With your number being synced to the Verizon Wireless network is where were running into the issue. I was unable to locate an application that was able to accomplish this feat. As I'm sure you're aware there are tons of application that would allow you to text but it would not be using your Verizon Wireless number. Enjoy your time in Europe.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport. 

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Billypat,

Sounds like you have quite the trip coming up! I can certainly appreciate your concern. I did look thoroughly into the issue for you. With your number being synced to the Verizon Wireless network is where were running into the issue. I was unable to locate an application that was able to accomplish this feat. As I'm sure you're aware there are tons of application that would allow you to text but it would not be using your Verizon Wireless number. Enjoy your time in Europe.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport. 

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Miembro

What you want is BlackBerry Messenger.

I travel to Asia and use BBM to instantly communicate with my wife via text, voice, or video.

It works where ever you can get a wireless signal. Video requires a pretty good wireless connection. Text seems to work with almost any condition. Pretty neat. Video twice a day and zero cost.

When BBM rolls out for Android you will want to get it and all your text buddies.

Else get the BB10 OS phones.

0 Me gusta
Covid19