So many problems after Oreo update
rgimzo07
Enthusiast - Level 1

My S7 updated to Oreo last week.  At first I was like WOW COOL! Now I notice EXTREME battery drain when NOTHING is running. I've gone through all my apps and turned everything off or disabled that I don't use, and I've utilized the "optimize battery" feature multiple times. I watch my battery drop 1% every 5 minutes. I now lose signal in places where I have always had signal, like in a major city next to a VZW tower.  My car bluetooth is completely terrible now, calls connect but I can't be heard by my caller.  Fitbit bluetooth is now flaky and doesn't always connect. I don't necessarily need all the fancy extras in Oreo, but I DO need my basic phone functions to work reliably! I recommended my Dad update his S7 to Oreo and he has the same issues and is really, really, aggravated!  I understand this isn't just a VZW issue, but an Android issue as well.  Ya these flagship phones are 2 years old, but i'm sorry I can't afford a $600 phone every 6 months when the latest model comes out.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Re: So many problems after Oreo update
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

When I was having battery issues with my phone one of the first thing that Verizon and Samsung asked me was if I cleared the cache partition.Apparently after an update especially going from one platform to another there are a lot of files left on the phone that maybe draining the battery and clearing the partition helps.

Turn phone off

Then hold the power-volume up-home

The phone will go into recovery mode

Then use the volume down to highlight clear cache partition Press power

Then volume down to say yes and press power again

The phone will then reboot in recovery mode then press power to reboot the phone

This will clear out all the old files that are left behind after an update

It will not change any of your settings on the phone

This partition is like a hard drive on a computer and holds all the old files

that your phone doesn't need anymore and some of these files can cause

conflicts with the new files but it is safe to clear this out after you get an update

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rgimzo07, device software updates are supposed to enhance your device experience and not eliminate them. We are truly sorry to hear of the recent experience you and your father are having with your devices. Allow us the opportunity to further investigate the details of your concern. Can you please let us know if you had updated or downloaded any new applications during the time you noticed that your device battery started to drain http://vz.to/2BOQlab? Also, can you please confirm that you are still utilizing the original charger that came with your device?

Additionally, we want to make sure your Bluetooth connection runs smoothly. Can you please let us know if you are having the same experience after you have deleted/removed your Bluetooth connection from your car and Fitbit and reconnected https://vz.to/2KtiTr4?

Sylvia_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Creisbr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem. I’ve been awake for an hour and battery went from 100% to 82%. Horrible. I tried not to update for weeks and got tired of pop up. Used to last all day. Now battery is dead before I get out of work.

Please fix. Tho I know you won’t.

deloused
Master - Level 3

Well of course Verizon won't fix the issue if that's what you mean. That would be up to the device/battery manufacturer & software developer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Crlesbr, we always want to ensure that your device is working up to par. We're here to help address your concerns with the battery life. In order to provide proper assistance, we'd like to ask a few questions to make sure that we're on the same page. Can you please confirm the make/model of your device? When did you perform the software update?

Samantha_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Creisbr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Samantha, I have a Samsung Galaxy S7.  Update was installed June 20, 7:47AM EST.

Battery is terrible.

EugeneP11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I put off the Oreo update on my S7, until it forced itself on me. There are just so many people complaining about it.

First, it took forever for the actual update to finish installing - nearly an hour! Here are some of the issues since the update:

1. The battery won't charge. Left it on the Samsung charger overnight, and still at 30% when I unplugged it 7 hours later.

2. It won't charge at all when plugged into "non-Samsung" chargers, like the one in my car. It could be that it is just draining faster that it is charging. Either way, it sucks. Road trip anyone? Nope.

3. Where are my apps? Probably half of my apps disappeared. Gone. There is no Chrome icon anymore, although I can search the phone and find it.

4. My icon folders are also gone. I had my phone organized into work, financial, shopping, etc. Not anymore.

5. SLOW, and I mean SLOOOOOOWWWW. It takes forever to open the apps that are left. Even the camera now is at least a 15s lag on opening. Oh, look how cute my dog is, let me...oh, never mind. (Yes, I cleared the cache - didn't help).

6. Phone calls go to voice mail before the answer screen comes up. I know it is ringing, there is just a blank screen. I solved this by assigning home key to answer, but I that doesn't help me see who is calling. So much for screening unwanted calls. No, I don't need to lower my credit card interest.

7. The icons for the apps left on the phone are super tiny. Unreadable. Thanks for making me feel old overnight, Verizon.

So, thanks for nothing Samsung and Verizon. You got me rethinking my choices here. AT&T and an iPhone are looking better and better.

EugeneP11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Three more to add:

8. I no longer get a notification when messages show up. I used to see a number count on the message icon, telling me I had an unread message. My notification settings are exactly the same as before.

9. I no longer get a notification when I have a missed call. My notification settings are exactly the same as before.

10. I no longer get a notification when I have a voice mail. My notification settings are exactly the same as before.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

EugeneP11,

I certainly understand your frustration with a device that is not working properly. I would be upset myself if my phone had these issues. I assure you this is not what the software update from Samsung was supposed to do to your phone. Let's get a few more details. Do you have a backup of your personal information? Have you tried any troubleshooting yourself since this has happened?

Samsung does have a Software Repair assistant. You can reload http://spr.ly/6587DUFcd the software to repair any issues using this tool.

Jenelle_VZW

0 Likes