Since update, car can't access text messages
x475aws

My car (2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited) used to display text messages received by the Galaxy S4, and could retrieve previous messages.  Doesn't work since the update.  Un-pairing and re-pairing didn't help.

0 Likes
Re: Since update, car can't access text messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

x475aws,

We want you to be able to experience the convenience of viewing your text messages through your via your car. Does anything come up in your car when you try to view your text messages (i.e. error message)?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
x475aws

First it says "Loading message list Please wait...", and then it says "Message list could not be loaded."

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

x475aws,

This is strange! Do any other Bluetooth devices work with your phone? Toyota may be able to help with this. Please check out their Troubleshooting site here: http://www.toyota.com/connect/#

SarahO_VZW

0 Likes
x475aws

Hi SarahO,

I'm afraid there's some confusion here.  The problem is with text messages, not voice.  The car was able to access text messages from the phone, until the phone was updated.  The car's software has not changed.  So the problem is with the phone, not the car.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Or the car software is no longer compatible with the OS. You should check with the dealer to verify it is up to date.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
x475aws

It seems that KitKat added Bluetooth MAP support to Android.  Presumably Samsung used their own MAP implementation before, and are now relying on Android's.  The problem is that they don't work the same way.  No matter which is more correct protocol-wise, Samsung should ensure backward compatibility for the sake of their customers.  Or at the very least, the info on the update should have warned of Bluetooth MAP changes, supplied details on updates for affected vehicles (if updates are even available yet), and given the option of deferring the update indefinitely.

0 Likes
lorisue7

I am having the same problem and also have the 2013 avalon hybrid. Did you ever get a fix for this?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lorisue7,

I am sorry to hear of the issues you are having connecting your Samsung Galaxy S4 to your Avalon. Are you able to connect other devices to your car bluetooth successfully? Have you had the opportunity to reach out to Toyota regarding the bluetooth connection?

LindseyT_VZW

0 Likes
lorisue7

I am able to connect it but prior to the update, whenever I received a text message, it would appear on my nav screen and by pushing a button the car would read the message to me. This is the feature that appears to have stopped working after the update. It is still connected via bluetooth and I am able to make and receive calls without a problem. Its not the car that is the problem, it appears to be the phone or Verizon wireless.

0 Likes