Re: Samsung galaxy s9+ security updates???
maxwellnj
Enthusiast - Level 3

It’s 10 days after the 5/1 security update was supposedly released, and I’m still on the 2/1 security update.  When I search for available updates in Settings, it tells me my phone has the most current version.

Why is the update not available a full ten days after it was released?

kathy65793
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand your need for having the latest security update on your device, maxwellnj. As stated previously, Verizon does send out updates in waves and we want to make sure your device receives that update. When you check for available updates, make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi. Dial #832 and disconnect the call once it is successful, then please power cycle the device, then attempt to search for updates. 

Pedro_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
maxwellnj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I performed the above steps but still no available updates. I understand that updates go out in waves, but isn't it reasonable to think that over 10 days after an update is released everyone would have gotten it? What's the point of releasing monthly updates if users don't get them? Apple releases iOS updates to hundreds of millions of devices and everyone can get them within that first day, but I can't access an update for a Galaxy device 11 days after it was released?

Maybe it's time to return this phone and try out a Pixel device or go back to the iPhone.

TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

Apparently, another NEW update is being pushed out as we speak to include SMR-JUN-2018 for both S9 and S9+. Yes, that is two updates in less than two weeks!

Current Software Update v1-5

Software Version: R16NW.G965USQS2ARF4

Android® Security Patch Level: 2018-06-01

Updated: 06/15/2018

Hopefully, it will be pushed to my S9+ within the next day or two...

maxwellnj
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's great! I'm still waiting on the update released on June 5th..... I'm still on the 2/1 security update, and when I check for updates it tells me I'm on the latest version and no updates are available.

C'mon Verizon........ Why does it take 12+ days to roll out an update, especially if it's no longer the latest update????

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having the latest update is important Maxwellnj. I am here to help so we can make sure that you get the new software. You can go to this http://spr.ly/6584DlrVG link and it will give you instruction to download the software. You can also use the Samsung Software Upgrade Assistant. http://spr.ly/6585DlrVH Does this help? 

Amber_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
maxwellnj
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tech support told me to get the phone replaced with a new S9+. I went to a VZW store yesterday, got the new S9+, activated it and set it up. Guess what????  The new phone is on the 2/1 security patch and when I search for an update it tells me I have the current version. Two separate phones, same issue.

Owning an S9+ is becoming a lot of work.... Perhaps Verizon should be paying me for my time!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

maxwellnj we are stunned to see you are having issues with your Samsung S9+ security patch update, especially after getting a replacement device. We want to help. Please follow these update procedures to ensure you get your phone up to date: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s9-plus-update/.

Gilberto_VZW

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

@Gilberto_VZW Actually, no surprise -- this appears to be a common occurrence across the S9/S9+ product line. VZW pushed out an update at initial device release which included SMR-FEB-2018. According to a VZW Corporate rep, Samsung had issues with applying updates to the S9/S9+ across the board (non-carrier specific) that forced them to withdraw and delay pending updates. There were no updates after that until VZW pushed out a second update including SMR-MAY-2018 on 5 June 2018. Several users (including myself) were able to download/install this update initially, but it seemed to "disappear" as most users did not receive notification of the update, not could they manually download it. On 15 June, VZW announced another update, which includes SMR-JUN-2018, but it was not available for download until yesterday. Hopefully, things will be smoother and more timely going forward...