Samsung S7 continually rebooting
shakan11

I installed a new update earlier this week and my phone straight away started rebooting in a continual loop without ever getting to the home screen. I let it go until the battery ran out then when I charged it and restarted it, the phone seemed to be ok.

Then this morning, the same issue started happening again. There was no system update this time, but in the middle of writing a message, my phone shut off and rebooted. Again, never making it to the home screen. I've done all the things recommended, turning on the safe mode, clearing cache out, I let the battery run out again in hopes the same thing would happen as earlier on in the week. However no such luck today.

I've even done a factory reset on the recovery mode and it still won't work.

I noticed there's an error in the recovery screen saying 'dm-verity verification failed' which I'm not entirely sure what that means?

Can you please help? Or is my phone a lemon, do I need it replaced?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung S7 continually rebooting
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DjSomers-

We are happy to find some resolution to your device concern. Since it has been three days with the phone not restarting, I would suggest continuing to test the phone. If issue continues, we would need you to remove applications to rule out it is an app that is causing the phone to reboot. I realize it will take some time but this would be the best option if a factory reset can not be completed. A factory reset would ultimately be the last option if all these steps do not work as we wan to rule out it is not the phone itself.

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We love updates because they are suppose to enhance your phone shakan11. I'm sorry your phon is rebooting constantly but we are here to help. Thanks for performing those trouble-shooting steps. We will need to review your account and run a diagnostic for additional steps. I will send you a private message to gather some information. You can also reach us via phone, chat, or social media.

KinquanaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DJSomers
Enthusiast - Level 3

My S7 also reboots on its own, out of the blue. It had done it while I was using Facebook Instant Messaging, Google Now, MapMyWalk app and my music on Google Play Music. Sometimes it reboots once then starts working again. Other times it will reboot back-to-back. I can tell it's going to reboot because everything locks up and nothing works. Factory reset is not an option as I have too much info on my phone that I cannot lose.

Please help! I am tired of this happening when I am in the middle of doing something on my phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DJSomers,

Let's make sure your phone stays fully booted. You mentioned you knew when this was going to happen. We want to make sure all of your applications are up to date. Please make sure by going to Google Play Store and make sure there are new application updates. Once this is done you will want to power the device off and back on. This will help the process. Keep us posted on your progress.

RobinD_VZW

0 Likes
DJSomers
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, Robin, for your response. To clarify, I do NOT know when the phone is going to re-boot, other than it just completely stops responding a couple of seconds before it starts re-booting. Nothing can be done to stop it.

In Settings, I have ”Apps were auto-updated” enabled so they should be updated. If I go to Google Play as you suggest, do I have to search for each app to see if there is an update? I have lots of apps and that would take a long time. With the Setting as I have it, wouldn’t my apps auto-update? Is there a way to update all of my apps at one time?

Thanks again.

Donna

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DJSomers,

Help is here for you! I appreciate the details of the re-booting troubles. When did this problem start to happen? Do you recall downloading any new apps around this same time?

AliciaS_VZW

0 Likes
DJSomers
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, AliciaS. I had downloaded the 7 Minute workout app around the time the problem occurred, 6-8 weeks ago, so I uninstalled it. I had also downloaded MapMyWalk. That app has several million downloads so I don't think it's the problem. My phone hasn't rebooted on its own for about 3 days now, although it did reboot a few times after I uninstalled the 7 Minute app. I hope the issue has resolved itself.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DjSomers-

We are happy to find some resolution to your device concern. Since it has been three days with the phone not restarting, I would suggest continuing to test the phone. If issue continues, we would need you to remove applications to rule out it is an app that is causing the phone to reboot. I realize it will take some time but this would be the best option if a factory reset can not be completed. A factory reset would ultimately be the last option if all these steps do not work as we wan to rule out it is not the phone itself.

CarmenT_VZW

0 Likes
DJSomers
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you. So far, my phone still hasn't rebooted on its own, so it's been about 5 days now. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know your phone is important to you and we want to make sure all of your information is saved, DJSomers. Do you know if you have a back up of all your information stored? First lets try a soft reset on your device. Here are the instructions on how to complete this process.

With the device powered off, press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) until the Samsung logo appears then release.
2. With the Samsung Galaxy S7 logo displayed on the screen, press and hold the Volume Down button (located on the left edge).
3. Continue to hold the Volume Down button until Safe mode appears in the lower left of the screen then release.
Note This may take up to 45 seconds.

JasperM_VZW

0 Likes