Samsung S7 Meltdown and Spectre updates
jehall6
Enthusiast - Level 1

With the latest announcement of the Spectre/Meltdown vulnerability it is assumed it impacts the Samsung Galaxy S7. If so, when will the newest updates be pushed? After looking at the last patch date on my Verizon Samsung S7 it shows Android Security Patch Level December 1, 2017 running Android 7.0. I ran a check for updates, but receive "your samsung device is up to date. No update is necessary at this time". Please provide update as to when January patches will be provided?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung S7 Meltdown and Spectre updates
deloused
Master - Level 3

Since you have the Samsung Galaxy S7 model you aren’t currently vulnerable nor have you ever been to the Spectre or Meltdown security flaws as your processor chip is the ARM Cortex A53.

The only Android devices that have security flaws vulnerable to Spectre are phones with Arm Cortex       R7, R8, A8, A9, A15, A17, A57, A57, A72, A73 and A75 Cortex processors. Meltdown can only exploit vulnerabilities in Android devices with the Snapdragon Cortex A75.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/meltdown-spectre%3Famp

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The last update was 12/13/17; as they are released, update descriptions can be found here:

Samsung Galaxy S7 Software Update | Verizon Wireless

jehall6
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep found that link on my own, but that update does not mitigate spectre/meltdown vulnerabilities as it put your phone at Android Security Patch Level "December 1, 2017" not Patch Level January 5, 2018 as required to mitigate the issue, which Google released on January 5th. Until the patch is pushed by the carrier is could have a major impact on companies that allow BYOD, as management must make a determination as to whether to allow the device without the patch to continue operating in the envirornment or suspend access until the carriers push the update and the user can confirm the update is applied. So again we can the update be expected as my phone (S7) still shows an Android Security Patch Level of December 1, 2017.

Thank you,

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jehall6,

Keeping your device running securely is crucial. We wouldn't want you to have any concerns about this. The update released on December 13th is the most recent one available. We're always working to keep things up to date but until an update is approved we don't have a release date and if it was already approved it would be on the way to you already. As soon as an update is ready though the link tikibar1 posted will be updated with the newest information.

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dublinlarry
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, today Verizon pushed the Samsung S7 January 1st, 2018 Android security patch. I DO NOT beleive this resolves Meltdown since I read that Google only released that in a January 5th update. Will we get that in a couple of days, or are we just vulnerable until verizon pushes the Feb update?

deloused
Master - Level 3

Since you have the Samsung Galaxy S7 model you aren’t currently vulnerable nor have you ever been to the Spectre or Meltdown security flaws as your processor chip is the ARM Cortex A53.

The only Android devices that have security flaws vulnerable to Spectre are phones with Arm Cortex       R7, R8, A8, A9, A15, A17, A57, A57, A72, A73 and A75 Cortex processors. Meltdown can only exploit vulnerabilities in Android devices with the Snapdragon Cortex A75.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/meltdown-spectre%3Famp

0 Likes