Re: Samsung S5: Storage - Miscellaneous files - amounts inaccurate
bearone21
Legend

good luck!!!

0 Likes
MikeEast

As previous posters, I too am unable to find/recover/delete/alter/move 5.46GB under the "miscellaneous files" section of 'storage'.

I see implications from verizon that various actions will clear this, but nothing appears to work. How the heck does one get the "power button/volume up/home button" deal to work on a samsung s5? That is supremely frustrating. I have a 16gig SD card that I've moved everything possible to without changing any sizes shown in the 'miscellaneous files' display. Every choice I seen listed under various searches within and outside of here have not changed anything.

Is this just verizon not admitting to supreme bloatware and not wanting to admit it? The inability to update anything and seeing 5.46gigs wasted that I cannot find by any means is making me seriously think about another phone+another provider. If verizon is unable to tell me where/what all this is, I figure it's incompetence first (yes, verizon,  you were a customer of mine before I got laid off and yes, I can recognize incompetence).

I sure hope the poster who implied that 'getting an sd card' would fix everything was in sarcasm mode, I should have use a whole more storage than I do, and quite frankly I'd like to know 'why'.

Mike

0 Likes
Re: Samsung S5:  Storage - Miscellaneous files - amounts inaccurate
sajwedding
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mike - Thanks for the info.  This is exactly what I was getting at in my main question (#2).  I'm hoping someone in the community or a Verizon staff member may be able to shed some light for us.  I've only received the default "factory reset" response, which didn't solve anything a few months ago. 

Do you happen to know the answer to my #1?  That's not as critical, but I couldn't find anything on that, and I'm wondering if these "System Updates" are truly 500 MB that we lose each time, or is just a temporary install file that gets deleted after installation. 

Also, I too, had NO success with the "power button/volume up/home button" thing either. 

0 Likes
Dan_V

I Have an S4 and a 16GB SD card and have the exact same problem.  I show 6.45GB of storage used for miscellaneous files, yet what's actually visible in the file list is a small fraction of that.  If I could at least see the files I could get rid of them.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Fromy what I gathered the past few years if you use cloud storage then that's what that is. It's cache of your cloud storage. Generally what I have found its Dropbox, Google Drive or Google Photos on most of the devices I have seen in the office. Wouldn't surprise me if things like Google Music may use some of that.

0 Likes
sajwedding
Enthusiast - Level 1

Tidbits - I use very limited cloud storage... less than 100 MBs on Google Drive (I don't use any of the others you mentioned).  Also, this is the section under Storage labeled "Miscellaneous Files".  I have another section labeled "Cached Data", which was a few GBs, but I cleared it and it went away, while the "Miscellaneous Files" is still nearly 6 GB.  It sure would be nice if someone from Verizon could help us in locating exactly what is eating up the 6 GB on Miscl files on my phone.  My guess is either:  A) They know and don't want to own up to excessive bloatware or help us get rid of it, or B) They don't know and don't care to fix it. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I used 1.5 GB in total and my misc files was 6.6.  As soon as I turned it off and deleted the cache it freed up a lot of space.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You can search the internet and you'll find what I am talking about Smiley Happy Seriously for some silly reason the caches isn't populating correctly.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

cloudagent is more than likely the culprit which handles Samsung backup, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Google Drive, Google Photos, and the list continues.  It is a Samsung thing. Sometimes it'll show up and sometimes it won't, but 99% of the time if you don't see what is taking up space on the list it's that.  For example I have dropbox backup turned on again and it uploaded a few photos.  My misc files used to be 42MB.  After I turned it on you see 475MB,  What's on the top is the largest to smallest.  Cloudagent doesn't show up, but it's there.Screenshot_2015-09-22-17-56-41.png

Screenshot_2015-09-22-17-56-50.png

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sajwedding, seeing that number rise with that area in storage can be alarming. Tidbits was right on the money with his response regarding Miscellaneous File. Certain applications will preload/cache in to Cloudagent. Everyone's use is a bit different so some apps unique to your phone may also contribute to that number as well.

Were you able to notice a difference regarding the storage used under Miscellaneous Files through the steps Tidbits provided?

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes