Samsung S5: Storage - Miscellaneous files - amounts inaccurate
sajwedding
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've researched the Verizon Community and searched the net, but can't find any answer to my questions.  The last few system updates have indicated they need 500MBs, and my device doesn't have enough storage for it.  I eventually cleared off a few things to get me above that limit, but I still have questions. 

1)  Do these 500 MB "system updates" remain on my phone, or are they just a temporary install file? 

2)  My more pressing question:  Settings -> Storage -> Miscellaneous files is 5.56 GB.  I click on that category to bring up the list of files I can delete, sort by size, and the total is no where near 5.56 GB.  The top 6 are 82+11+5+3+3+1 = 105 MB.  The remaining 29 are in KBs.  Where the heck is my remaining 5 GBs?  I've tried to browse my files via a File Manager, as well as through Explorer when connecting my phone to my laptop via USB, but I'm not sure where "Miscellaneous Files" is stored at from a folder path/tree perspective.

Any help/explanation would be appreciated. 

P.S.  My next largest category is Cached Data at 3.5 GB, but I know I can clear most of that out individually via Settings -> Applications -> Application Manager -> "All" tab -> Sort by size -> Finally, click on the apps that I want to "Clear Cache" and "Manage storage". 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung S5:  Storage - Miscellaneous files - amounts inaccurate
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sajwedding, seeing that number rise with that area in storage can be alarming. Tidbits was right on the money with his response regarding Miscellaneous File. Certain applications will preload/cache in to Cloudagent. Everyone's use is a bit different so some apps unique to your phone may also contribute to that number as well.

Were you able to notice a difference regarding the storage used under Miscellaneous Files through the steps Tidbits provided?

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Samsung S5: Storage - Miscellaneous files - amounts inaccurate
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to have enough storage for top performance of your device Jason. System update would normally remain on your phone for proper system file access. The numbers outlined in your post certainly do not reflect the total amount of storage used by Miscellaneous files. You indicated that you noticed this storage issues prior to, and after system software updates. It is highly recommended to do a factory reset http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-99541/ after system software updates to resolve any type of system conflicts from previous to new software update. Please do a factory reset and see if the storage issues gets resolved.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

sajwedding
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, if I'm following correctly...

1)  The 500 MB "system update" stays on my phone and is not a temporary install file?  There have been 2 of those in the past few months, once of which was an update to the thumbprint scanner that I never use (since it was always glitchy).  So, you're telling me Verizon is eating up 0.5 GBs for a non-safety "upgrade" that I won't use?  If these updates continue every few months, my internal storage will be filled in a year (even if I delete all apps, pictures, etc.).  That doesn't seem correct (or is a horrible business practice if true). 

2)  I did a factory reset after the last OS upgrade (in an attempt to fix all the bugs).  The storage problem remained.  The factory reset is quite time-consuming, and requires a lot of effort to get everything set back up again.  Is there any other viable solution other than wiping my phone (which most likely won't fix my problem)?  From reviewing other community conversations, it appears this is Verizon's go-to response, without actually trying to fix/review the actual bug.  I'm a software developer & database analyst and I understand the initial "reboot" response to clear everything out, except doing a factory reset is very time consuming for the end-user (would be like asking someone to reinstall their OS on their PC).  I did a soft-reboot (removing the battery), but still nothing. 

Are there any other solutions?  I did notice that Settings -> Storage -> Miscellaneous files is 5.56 GB, and hiding above the list of files I can delete is "System Memory", which is 5.46 GB.  What is that?  Is that where the Android OS is stored?  Is that where the "system updates" are also stored?  If so, can anyone indicate how to browse the path/tree to those files from a File Manager or via Explorer on my laptop when my phone is connected via USB? 

Any more thorough help would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

buy an sd card & your problems will go away.

0 Likes
sajwedding
Enthusiast - Level 1

bearone21 - I've considered that, but I really don't need that much storage.  I figured if I bought a 16 GB phone, and Android OS takes 1-2 GBs, and Verizon's pre-installed apps and features take another 1-2 GBs, that I'd have at least 12 GB or so of that for my own items (apps, pics, etc.).  Right now, I'm only using about 5 GBs for those personal items, and have barely 500 MB of free space.  So, I'm trying to find out what else is on my phone eating up so much storage.  My theory is it's Verizon "add-ons" and other garbage, which I'd like to clean out if possible. 

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

your choice but i would think that the way you're doing without a card would get old every time, needing to eliminate something for an update.

cards are cheap, a grade 10, top quality 16g is about $10-12.

0 Likes
sajwedding
Enthusiast - Level 1

bearone21 - It will get old, which is why I was hoping to eliminate some of the other 10 GBs of "unknown" stuff, specifically the 5 GB of "miscellaneous files" that I can't seem to locate.  I didn't know the cards were that cheap, so thanks for that info.  I may have to go that route after a while if no one has any more info on my questions.  Although, even if I move over my 1+ GB of pics and some of the 3 GB of Apps (I don't think all apps can be moved to SD card), that will only get me enough space for maybe 6 or 7 more updates (assuming they're all 500 MB).  At the rate of 1 update every 2 months, I'm looking at full storage capacity in a year with no personal information stored on the phone itself... well before my 2 year contract with Verizon is up.  (Which I'm sure is part of the intent of filling up my phone with bloatware that I can't get rid of.) 

0 Likes
Jallis
Contributor - Level 1

My S5 also says there are 5.54gb of misc. files. But if you add them there are a little over a gig.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

the last update was 82 meg....apps, email, text/pic messages, contacts/info that are kept, take up space.

to me, you're chasing a snowball worrying that stuff doesn't add up.....there may be bloatware you're not able to see/count.

get a 16g card & you're life will be easier.

0 Likes
sajwedding
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jallis - Okay, thanks.  I didn't think it was just me, but I'm guessing most people aren't really looking at that stuff. 

bearone21 - If the last system update was 83 MB, why did it tell me it needed 500 MB to download and install?  I know that apps, pics/vids - but both of those have their own groups in Storage.  Other things like texts, emails, etc. take up space, but those text-based items aren't eating up 5+ GB of storage.  I think the cause may be bloatware, and that's what I was hoping someone from Verizon (or community) would be able to direct me to delete.  I wish I knew where "Miscellaneous files" were stored in the folder tree/path so I could review myself.  I'm guessing this is why many people "root" their phone - to take back ownership of all the extra junk that they don't need on there.  I just hesitate to do that for safety/warranty concerns. 

I'm still considering getting an SD card at some point in the future if it keeps becoming an issue.  I was just hoping someone would have an answer as to how I can browse the folders to find whatever is in "Miscellaneous Files", or tell me there is some bug that isn't actually freeing up the space when files are marked as "deleted". 

0 Likes