Samsung S google translate does not work offline mode on Verizon
john5586
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Support Team, Please help me! This issue has been going on for a long time and no resolution. I’ve called Verizon, Samsung, Android, many times and get nowhere. 

I have several Samsung S devices with Verizon and none of them allow for Google or Microsoft translator apps to work in an "offline" mode. I have installed offline languages but when trying to use translator or text to speech with WiFi and Data turned off (offline mode) it does not work.

It only works when I have WiFi or Data is available, even though I have downloaded the languages offline. Seems this issue is common for Verizon carrier with Samsung devices. If use iPhone or Samsung S models with another carrier and download Google translator app or Microsoft translator app with the offline languages it works fine! Why would this be?

Yet when using Verizon with Samsung Android S5, S7, S8, S9, S9+ devices offline translator feature does not work on any of my devices. The “Conversation” or “Voice” speak to translate buttons inside these app are gray-out and cannot be selected. The error when trying: “No connection for speech input”. Why is Verizon restricting their customers to only use these features when data is available? There is many times I’m in the woods, mountains, hiking, and off the grid and should be able to use translator offline. This is very simple, it's like google maps offline. The only way to use google maps offline is download the offline maps and it will works off the grid. Yet translator does not work off the grid. Any help from Verizon, Android, and Samsung tech support team would be great.

I just tried brand new Verizon Samsung S9+ out of the box today and did not work. Tried factory reset, delete and install apps, and still CANNOT use translator offline. The only way it works is if there is WiFi or Data turned on.

How can I use any translator app (Samsung, Google, etc) offline?

Thank you for you help and looking forward to the solution.

Thanks,
John
[removed]

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung S google translate does not work offline mode on Verizon
bearone21
Legend

apples & droids...what works on an i-phone doesn't necessarily function the same on non i-phones.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung S google translate does not work offline mode on Verizon
john5586
Enthusiast - Level 1

I get your point, however offline translator works on other Samsung devices with other carriers. Somehow does not work on Samsung devices with Verizon carrier. But Apple offline translator apps work on Verizon carrier.  

What I'm trying to say is offline translator works on carriers cerriers but not on Verizon Samsung devices. 

Somehow Verizon blocks offline translator on Samsung devices unless data is on. Why is that? This has been an ongoing issue for years on my 4 different Samsung devices. I've gotton nowhere or a fix to it. I'm thinking of leaving Verizon as no-one is willing to assist me. 

Can someone tell me why I can't it to work? 

Thanks,
John 

0 Likes