Samsung Gear s2 promotion was a scam
bowlhead
Enthusiast - Level 1

I called customer care to set up an upgrade to the s7 from my htc one m8. I was very specific that I wanted the promotional item gear s2 for the purchase and i was assured that I would be eligible, there would be a code on the receipt that would be in the box when I received my new one. I pre-purchased it on 3/11/16 and received the phone on 3/13/16, the release date. I applied for the promotional item as soon as I got the package. on 3/23/16 I received an email saying:

Congratulations! Your submission has been approved; however because the

purchase receipt you uploaded denotes an in-store and/or online business

purchase, you are only eligible to receive the Samsung Gear VR with 6-game

bundle.

It doesn't make sense because I was on the phone making the purchase. I was also told I would be eligible so at the very least it shows incompetence of my verizon rep.

I have since tried contacting both verizon and samsung about it. Both chat services are useless, Samsung's promo email support said they would respond within 24hrs and it has been more than 72, I've sent several. I spent a long time on the phone with verizon customer care because Samsungs promo customer service line said all lines were busy try again later, Verizon tried to contact them and they got the same message. The Verizon CSR told me she would look further into it about what I could do and I would be contacted, but I haven't heard from them yet. I have tried more time to get some kind of solution from both companies and also inquired if I could return the phone to which I was told that I could return the phone within 14 days, today being the 15th. so that isn't even an option. It's very frustrating to make a purchase from a company you've been with for 10 years under the impression you would be receiving a $299 watch with a $700 dollar purchase but to find out later that you're locked into receiving something worth $150 to someone, but not me. I was not interested in the VR headset in the least and I wouldn't have gotten the phone if that was the deal.

Re: Samsung Gear s2 promotion was a scam
geonh

I have the exact same problem except I was told by a Verizon company store manager that I could get the phone there and still be eligible for the S2. Went online and applied and got a congratulations letter which was followed 10 days later with a confirmation of my VR order which I have no use for!

0 Likes
Kathy0529
Enthusiast - Level 3

There are a few threads about this same thing as a bunch of us received this surprising email stating we did something wrong or were business customers and would be receiving the VR and not the watch as requested.

A few of us called and were told that it was an error and it was confirmed by the Prize Logic rep that the S2 would be sent.  I was told that there were still watches in stock so it was not an inventory issue.  My ship date is estimated for April 18th, so I guess I have to take the rep at her word that the watch will be shipped, but will have to wait till I have it in hand to know for sure.  The number to call is: 888.795.6442.  I believe she asked for my name and email address.  I did not need my order number or anything from the VZW.com order.

Good Luck!

0 Likes
mcdonaldb200

I did the same as Kathy, and received the identical response, it was an incorrect email that went out.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Make sure you get every customer now. Not just the ones who believe they should have gotten the watch only because that's the one they wanted.

colbycheese
Enthusiast - Level 2

Contact the Attorney General in your state with all your info. If more people do this they will be held accountable for their bait and switch. Flood your states Attorney General with complaints! it may help!

cjpd
Contributor - Level 1

I too have been scammed double!!!  We upgraded our phones early to qualify for the gear S2 watch offer which I was told that we would qualify for.  We purchased online and once the phones arrived quickly submitted for the watch.  We received emails stating our submission had been accepted for the gear S2 watch on each email yet we both received the VR.....OMG!  (I did save each confirmation email)   I never would have paid to upgrade our phones early for the VR.....really!!!!!  Shame on Verizon for not standing behind this as well!  I am getting the run around from Verizon, was told it was okay to drive to the nearest store which is 1 hour each way only to find out that this is not correct either.  The Verizon person on the phone call apparently lied to me to the point of telling me he called the store and assured me they had 2 watches in stock and that I should go today and noted they were in 2 different colors.  How can this be?  So, I called the local BestBuy to speak with a Samsung rep and he said for sure to call the www.samsungpromotions.com number at 888-795-6442. After being on hold for 55:12 min a representative answered to state they could not help me but would have a supervisor call me back within 24 hours but it may be up to 5 business days and also that they couldn't give me any idea if I would eventually receive the watch in exchange for the VR.  I asked this rep how many calls are they receiving today with the same complaints and they ballparked about 80%!  This is a very bad situation now!  I have been a loyal Verizon customer since 1998 but perhaps this is a sign of things getting worse?  I will write more if this situation is correctly resolved otherwise, don't believe what you read when Verizon offers material gifts unless you get it at the same time as the purchase.

PAPETER
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too got the email that I was getting a useless VR instead of the S2 watch.  I purchased the S7 Edge mainly because of the watch offer.  After trying to get it resolved, I had the most frustrating and negative customer experience I ever had from both Prize Logic (Samsung third party partner for their promotions) and from Samsung itself.  I got the same circular song and dance as those described above.  It was belittling. 

I started with Verizon and they told me it was an on-line purchase. Verizon told me I had to deal with Samsung directly.

Next, I contacted Prize Logic and they told me they could not change it.  I asked to speak to a supervisor and was also told it may take 5-10 days for them to get back to me.

I next called Samsung and the rep forwarded me to another number which was once again Prize Logic so I hung up.

Next I tried Samsung online Chat.  The Samsung chat rep created a ticket and gave me a phone number that he said was a higher level of service.

I called the 'higher level of service number' and I believe I was routed to the same old customer service number at Samsung that I called earlier.  I got some guy  that first told me they were out of stock and then told me that according to terms and conditions they did not need to do anything for me.  I was insistent with him and told him how dissatisfied I was.  The Samsung customer service rep hung up on me.  I could not believe it. 

Too much stress and time wasted for today.  I will try some more tomorrow but feel very sour on these companies and the way they are treating their customers.  Not a good long term strategy. 

Verizon should own this problem and fix it for their customers.  That is what great companies do!  Any response Verizon????

jpettis
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told that I didn't qualify for the Gear S2 watch due to I wasn't in the correct area/location to get the watch...so they are sending me the VR instead...which I am not happy about!! Which is totally B.S., they should have disclosed that information in the beginning ..

cjpd
Contributor - Level 1

This is such a bad situation and Verizon keeps saying it is not their problem yet they benefited greatly from our contract extensions and the extra fees associated with the S7 phone which is very expensive.  I have been an 18 year customer of Verizon and this is very poor!

0 Likes