Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
Samsung Galaxy S8 Update
SHELLYSUN31
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a major problem with the new software update. Before my phone was working great. I could recieve text messages phone calls and all other notifications. I had my phone replaced 4 times and something is wrong with software update! Im stuck with a phone that doesnt work. Im wondering what are my options are because im very angry! Why would you allow a software update if its causing so many problems. Mind you THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A MONTH AND MY PHONE STILL DONT WORK!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 Update
Cfig77
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I urge all of you to no longer do factory resets, and to call Verizon, Google, and Samsung and demand answers. I feel fortunate that I finially got a hold of someone that was educated and took the time to educate me on the process. So to reiterate all 3 companies play a role in creating the Software. I'm sure Verizon's is very minimal if any but they are the ones who send it out and who we pay. So when they tell you they can't call Google and Samsung will too, know that this is a lie. I called Google and Samsung at the same time so if I can do it then all 3 companies can .Google's phone number is 1-855-336-3987. Ask for a supervisor in Android software. (The guy I spoke with wasn't a supervisor, he was just an exception) And 4/5 times Google will say they don't create Software for Samsung phones which is a lie. They will try to transfer you to Samsung, I didn't tell them what kind of phone I had, I just said Android, that way they didn't know who to pass me off to.  I don't have Samsung's number but it's easy to find, it's probably in your S8 manual. And 4/5 times they will say they aren't responsible for Software, that Google is. It wasn't until I had both companies on the phone that they finislly started being honest. I guess I should of called Verizon and included them too. I told both companies to educate their employees on what it is that their companies do and to stop lying to their customers. Accept ownership of the problems they created and include us in the process. And in the future when the next update has bugs put out a public announcement immediately to tell us not to install it until further notice. I hope this helps everyone! And Verizon.... Oh yes, I'm talking to you! STOP lying to your customers, do your research and find the problem and the correct solution, not just telling us to factory reset our phones. That isn't the fix and it takes me at least 6 hours to redownload everything on my phone, so it's a BIG freaking deal to do!!! Verizon... You need to put out a public announcement staing what is going on, especially for the people who haven't installed the update yet, you need to give us weekly updates through emails or texts, and you need to publicly apologize to EVERY S8 owner who is your customer, you are part of this problem too, and if you say you aren't then you need to figure out your role in all of this because you are to blame as well. And for all of our inconveniences, you should credit every S8 owner $100 for the trouble all 3 companies have caused us. And before you say it's Google, well we pay you!!! So you can credit us and then send a bill to Google and Samsung!!! Do what's right! You owe it to us!!!!

View solution in original post

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Unfortunately you are not alone with this problem as you can tell by all the threads on here about this update. If you can get it to work like it is supposed to Verizon has a program that may help if any of the files got damaged during the update which can happen with the OTA.

Repair Assistant - Software Upgrade Assistant (Samsung) | Verizon Wireless

Hope this helps

SHELLYSUN31
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. About your recent reply. I have done a repair program on my device and It did not help the issues that I have. I'm very unhappy with this device. I have done many things to try to fix the problem but nothing works.I don't know what other options i have. Very frustrated not getting issues fix. Tired of the run around game. This has been going on way to long and nobody should have to be put through this. It is very unfair and I feel I should be accommodated for all my time and trouble.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I totally agree with you. It is such a shame that this type of thing still happens with updates that are supposed to make the phone better. Like someone suggested in another post that there should be a way to restore the phone to its original  software that the phone came with. I am sure someone somewhere is working on this. I just hope it doesn't take as long as it does to just get a security update to the phone.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello SHELLYSUN31. Having something happen during your software upgrade can be troubleing. These steps will fix many of the more common causes for this issue: http://spr.ly/6580DZ23p .

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a working phone is a must, SHELLYSUN31. Our community has offered a great tip with the software repair assistant, as that does fix the vast majority of issues. As you've run it without any results, let's dig further into what's happening. When you say your phone does not work, please describe exactly what happens (i.e. no notifications of any incoming calls, texts, etc., unable to make or receive calls, etc.).

LynnD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SHELLYSUN31
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. My phone is not recieving text messages when someone sends one. It takes 2 days to get a text message. When i get phone calls i dont know im getting them because my phone dont ring or give me notice. The only way i know someone called or sent a text message  is by going into the phone to call someone and it shows missed call or text message.. I get some email notifications but very slim. I have called  Verizon a number of times and nothing seems to work. We have done every problem solving issue there is. I just dont understand how a software update could cause so many issues when the phone was working great before the software update.

Cfig77
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey Matthew G from Verizon, instead of giving us fixes and troubleshooting that does nothing to fix the problems how about Verizon contacts Google and gets some answers to what's going on and an actual date/timeframe to when they are going to have a Software update to fix the problems with the last software update. It is irresponsible for you and Google to not give your customers some answers. We didn't pay a bunch of money to have our phones messed up. You need to swallow your pride and put out a public announcement. We deserve answers and you are not even trying to provide them.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SHELLYSUN31

It's important to us that you have a properly working phone. You mentioned that you recently updated the software on your phone. Do you have third party applications downloaded to your device? If so, have you updated the software for those applications on your device, as well? 

Try deleting all unwanted text messages, applications, and media on your phone. We want to make sure that this isn't a memory capacity issue. Next, power your device off/on and let us know if thess issues still persist. 
0 Likes
Cfig77
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey Verizon, hopefully you have come to the conclusion by now that everybody on here has major issues with their Galaxy S8's ever since the Software update Google put out. Also hopefully you actually read all of the posts and see that we have all troubleshooted our phones and updated the apps. It has been over 3 weeks since we have notified you with the issues and still you resort to telling us the basics like we are a bunch of idiots. How about you do your job, contact Google and tell them they need to put out another Software update to fix the issues and it needs to be done in the next few days. This is totally unacceptable. And to answer your question we probably all have 3rd party apps. This issue I am having is I'm not receiving notifications when I receive a new text. There are no badge icon alerts like there use to be. This is on the Samsung email app and yes it's been updated. It's time to stop telling us troubleshooting techniques that don't work! Do your research and put in the time to come up with some answers instead of using us as test subjects.  We want answers! WHEN IS GOOGLE GOING TO PUT OUT THE SOFTWARE UPDATE??? This is the only thing that will fix the phone!!!