Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 4.3 update issues and more
joe473
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have 2 S3's on my account both with almost all of the issues and no easy method to contact Verizon for support.  The fact that Verizon continues to point the finger at Samsung is disturbing. Our contract for service and purchase of the device is with Verizon not Samsung. .  Verizon clearly modified the Android update and added to it.  I was also not able to refuse the update and wait for the stability to be determined or continue with my old software.  In my opinion by "breaking" the originally advertised features and limiting/denying service in this case Verizon has breached it's contract with users and should waive cancellation fees if other carriers are not experiencing the same issues as Verizon customers are. the issues I am seeing as unresolved on both S3's on my account are:

1. Extreme battery usage
  2. battery discharging while on charger if phone is on!!!
  3. Wi-Fi stability issues on network stable for all other devices
  4. noticeably higher data usage (My account is double where it should be for the month with no change in habits._
  5. Loss of blue tooth connectivity for ford Edge and Ford Escape
  6. Dropped calls
  7. Completely missed calls
  8. Calls answered with no voice
  9. Extremely slow keyboard response
  10. Phone freezing and requiring a reset
  11. Phone resetting spontaneously
  12. Additional Verizon background software with no user notification or acknowledgement
  13. Also last night received a notification message I was Roaming globally and should call for a plan while inside the Boarders of New Jersey. 

Again in my opinion Verizon has changed the service and terms of service with no user acknowledgement and has breached the contract with users unless the deficiencies are corrected in a timely manner.  Data usage and roaming control appear flawed and may have direct changes/impact on user billing I am sure other users such as myself would be satisfied with a method to restore the device to the previous software version and reliable service.  I would forego the additional features on a user approved basis.

If someone has an email for Verizon to accept the complaints let me know.  I saw no options on the site to email Verizon directly on this issue to facilitate an official response and advanced support.  Verizon has all of our emails,  Please step up, acknowledge the issues and possible fixes in the interest of customer service.  If I wanted this lack of support from my provider I would go with a much cheaper access methods now available in the US.

I_Want_Choice
Enthusiast - Level 1

My wife's phone downloaded the update and she installed it and has had multiple problems all of which have been listed in previous posts.  I got on this trying to find a way to stop if from happening to my phone.  From what I'm reading so far, there is no escape?!  Feels like I've become part of the BORG collective "Resistance is futile"  "You will be assimilated". 

If someone from Verizon is actually reading this, please tell us how to stop the update permanently.  There should be a simple process for rejecting software updates.  All the money we pay for the phones and the service, shouldn't WE get to decide what is and isn't done to our phones?!

derekforce
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, since Verizon decided to close the other thread where we were complaining, I guess I'll post to this one.
Same problems here on SG3.  A couple of emails to Samsung were useless, receiving nothing but canned responses.
Speaking to Verizon is just as useless.  All the 'fixes' they offer are also canned responses, or Factory Reset, which i've only seen has helped a few people.  Most have the same problem.

Not to mention the fact that I cannot find anyone at Verizon or Samsung to even acknowledge that there is any sort of problem with the update.  Everyone is playing dumb.

Your move Verizon.  My move will be to find another carrier and another phone.

lear71
Enthusiast - Level 1

Had the same issues after the update.  Main issue was WiFi instability that caused the phone to keep dropping off of WiFi  (saying the network was too slow) and then continuing to search and signing back on.  That cycle would continue and rapidly drain the battery.  Also had issues w/ the phone freezing and requiring hard resets.

Spoke w/ Verizon and the two recommendations were a factory reset on my phone (an S3) and if that did not work they would send me a replacement phone.  Had nothing to lose w/ the reset.  Did that after backing everything up to google and the cloud.  Was very painless as everything automatically reloaded on the phone after the reset.  So far the phone is working great w/ no further issues. 

emf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>Duplicate post removed to comply with the .  See <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

gels1111 wrote:

Update happened while I was using data (not during wifi). Had to use mobile data to use the map. Even though I stopped the update, it would later update on its own and use my mobile data. Now, map does not work well. GPS takes at least 5 to 10 minutes to "find" me even though there is no clouds in the sky. Then, GPS would say that I'm somewhere I'm not. There is now Map app only and no longer Navigation app. I loved the Navigation app and relied on it heavily to get to places. The new Map app doesn't function well (takes several minutes to find me on the map and then it doesn't indicate the path the way Navigation app did). There's now a button on the new Map app that says "start".  Not sure what it's suppose to start because when I click on it, it takes me to some other map functions, instead of starting to show the path I'm taking. The message system also doesn't work properly. I've received a text message and read it, but it still shows that I have one unread message. Serious battery drain. Phone lasts for a few hours instead of more than a day on a full charge. Phone call problem, too, my voice not being able to carry through the system to the receiver. Tried the mic and found that it has no problem recording sounds/voices. Most of the updates were not important anyway - including fancier images for the camera and calculator icons. Am curious whether these fancier icons take up more space then the previous icons. I want my old system back!

The Navigation app (blue arrow icon) is now a part of the Maps app and functions exactly the same as it did before.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

emf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>Duplicate post removed to comply with the .  See <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Newsman2010
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the WiFi and battery issues as well. I got an S3 about 6 months ago and my phone downloaded the update and I allowed it to go through. Now, despite having excellent signal strength on WiFi, I can't maintain a connection. I get the error that the internet connection is slow (it really isn't) and it won't stay on WiFi. Prior to upgrading to Jellybean, my WiFi was working perfectly, now it won't connect or stay connected! C'mon, Verizon... get this fixed! We pay YOU for the phone and the service, not Samsung or Google. YOU are the responsible party. Get this fixed so we can use our phones!!!

mdbullet
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had my SIII for almost a year. at the end of last month I started losing a lot of battery power and I have a problem with the phone locking up to the point I have to take the battery out so I can reboot it. took it to the Verizon store and the sales person said " oh that's normal" and that I should pull the battery out atleast once a month. I just shook my head and walked out the door. no use talking to a IDIOT. I called Verizon and talked to CS and they sent me to tech support and that did nothing. This is getting real bad. It seems that Verizon does not want to keep a 10 customer happy. All they want is the MONEY.   I hope they do something to take care of your phone.

MetDetDJ
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you can afford to upgrade now with the new Verizon promotion do so to a

S4 (which is what I am doing). Yes, Verizon screwed this up MAJOR yet I had

to think about it a bit more calmly.

On a scale of 1 to 10 Verizon earns a solid 9 from me. My calls never drop,

I have coverage everywhere and seldom do I have problems of any kind. I had

a modem from T-Mobile that rarely brought in a signal so I'm leery of

switching to them even if they are cheaper. AT&T, Sprint and MetroPCS?! Not

a chance - Sprint doesn't have a 4G network in the tri-county Metro Detroit

area (and cannot say when they will) and has the worse network of the major

providers. AlwaysTellingTales isn't getting more of my money with their

poor customer service. MetroPCS has awful network coverage.

So while I am not happy with Verizon with this disastrous 4.3 update I'm

overall a satisfied customer. Onto a new S4 for me.