Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 4.3 update issues and more
maliciousbuthot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, this post has seriously taking off. With over 17488 views I'm very impressed with this post still being up. I did posted it on my blog and facebook. Back to the topic at hand. Verizon support as answered and/or helped people that have commented here on my post, I'm shocked that no one from Verizon has mentioned anything to me as I am the one that posted this topic. I've been sitting here reading Verizon answer HotBacon and everyone else but why haven't I got a response? Clearly, there is a huge issue and the fact that Verizon doesn't even acknowledge the problem makes me question my loyalty to Verizon. 8 to 9 years with the same company is a huge commitment on my part. Heck, on anyone's part for that matter. Most people's relationships do not last that long. It saddens me greatly to know that the people I recommend and actually got to switch to Verizon will probably have to deal with these same issues

Very disappointing

maliciousbuthot
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is SAD !!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like I am being DUMPED by my longest committed relationship 😞

jbmcdroid
Contributor - Level 1

My relationship with Verizon goes back thirteen years (wow) to 2001. Like many of my human relationships, some times were wonderful, some rocky, and some adversarial. Through it all, compared with friends' carrier experiences, Verizon has provided the best coverage and service in my greater St. Louis, Missouri area on both sides of the Mississippi River.

Now, concerning the 4.3 update oninage my S3, it's been both a joy and a major disappointment. I was as anxious as the next S3er to experience the much touted last of the Jelly Bean Android operating system (4.4 KitKat being a transitional OS between Jelly Bean and Key Lime Pie 5.0) and admonished those posters who constantly berated Verizon for delaying update releases with lengthy (needless, as some commented) testing. But, with all of the bug-riddled early 4.3 releases in Europe and Asia followed by release halts and hapless restarts, I for one was grateful for Verizon taking a wait-and-see approach with their typical pre-release tests to the extent that I optimistically posted my "just be patient, Verizon will release the long-overdue OTA 4.3 update before the end of 2013" loyal Verizon customer statement.

So, when my S3 got the message that 4.3 was available for immediate download, I quickly backed up all of my files and drove across town to my physician's office building where their free patient Wi-Fi could be accessed clearly from the comfort of my car parked next to the building. The download went flawlessly for 15-30 minutes. While connected to free Wi-Fi, I additionally restored (from Google Play Store, not from backups) my essential apps that I used with 4.1.2 OS; the remaining apps would be restored later after I tested the new 4.3 OS.

Back home, I explored the new features of the latest S3 Jelly Bean operating system and, for the next couple of weeks, was completely thrilled with the higher performance compiled by AnTuTu and Vellamo benchmark apps. Verizon's delay and drudgingly long testing period seemed vindicated, for awhile at least.

Then, shortly after Christmas, I discovered that taking pictures with the stock 4.3 camera or with my alternate camera apps Camera Zoom FX and Snap Camera in both flash modes (auto & on) would immediately and completely lock up my S3-4.3 without completing the picture. The only way to reboot the 4.3 OS was to remove the battery, reinstalling the battery and backcover after 30 seconds, and restarting the OS either by long-pressing the power button or by entering the Android System Recovery Mode by simultaneously long-pressing the power button + the volume-up button + the home button (this latter method preferred by many developers).

The 4.3 camera bug? (absent in 4.1.2) persisted through repeated comprehensive tests using the stock 4.3 TouchWiz Launcher and my long-trusted Nova Launcher, in both regular mode and in System Safe Mode (recommended whenever viruses are suspected), and after multiple hard factory resets.

In the following weeks, the many-reported 4.3 update problems of unusually high battery drainage and 4G/LTE or Wi-Fi interrupted connections started on my S3-4.3 that I reported to Verizon, Samsung, Android Authority, and Drippler to no avail. Finally, Verizon's level-2 technical support agreed that these issues were well-documented and my only remedy was to replace my troubled S3-4.3 with a new S3 of identical make & model that would have a factory-installed 4.3 update (assuring me that its updated operating system was better than the OTA updates). Okay, I thought, now we're getting somewhere.

The very first thing that I looked for after my new factory-installed 4.3 replacement arrived in one day as promised, was going straight to the system settings to check the model number and OS number. When I saw the OS was 4.1.2 and the message to download the available 4.3 update, I felt betrayed and angry. I immediately called Verizon Technical Support and asked why what was promised only one day ago was completely ignored only to be 'lectured' by a young supervisor that no one can offer that promise with their FIFO (First In First Out) warehouse policy.

After an hour of heated discussion, I realized that this supervisor held all the cards and I reluctantly agreed to updating this replacement OTA with another Wi-Fi connection with the declaration that I would contact the regional Verizon Executive Officer should this replacement model (after its 4.3 update) be defective as the one being replaced. So far, I'm happy to report that the camera-flash problem is fixed (for now at least), but the battery and the interrupted connection problems persist. Being that the camera issue was of the highest concern for me, I can live with the other issues until a fix is made available.

After 13 years, I'm not yet ready to jump ship particularly as I have less confidence in the other carriers. I do, however, respect the opinions and actions of my fellow S3 users.

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

Well stated. The biggest issue I have is the fact that it's been over 6 weeks and not one company (Google, Verizon or Samsung) has come forward to address that 4.3 has issues. If I knew a fix was coming and had an ETA I be happier than I am now. But the first step is admitting there is a problem. Paying for high service plans and not having a device work as designed is a huge issue for me. My phone is used for business and personal. If I don't have access to a charger I'm in trouble after a few hours. Prior to this 4.3 update I could go all day without charging. Same story...just another day passing with no support for the paying end users.

N3tT3chMan
Enthusiast - Level 2

This worked for me

I woke up this morning and my battery dropped 5% in 20 minutes. After looking through things i found that there were 3 apps that were updated.  Samsung Print service, HP print service and Samsung hub.  I stopped all 3 of the applications in the application manager and my battery has been much better (so far) knock on wood. Not sure if this will help any of you all but its worth a shot.

mattyshore
Contributor - Level 1

I have basically spent the past week just closing out apps that were preloaded. Everything Google is killing the battery, The Android Operating system is killing near 50% of the battery alone. Before this stupid update, we could restrict the background data which helped out a lot because I would have it set to only two processes. Now even with data restrictions checked it seems to be nothing but a pretty button to push. Yea it screw up google play but Google play is always annoying me. I am just so sick and tired of paying for my phone to be a (removed)

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
MetDetDJ
Enthusiast - Level 3

In November 2013 Samsung admitted to major issues with the update for

another carrier and suspended the distribution of 4.3 at the time. Then a

month later the update was released for Verizon.

It is nearly laughable that the offshore Verizon tech support people will

lie to you that they are unaware of ANY issues with the update and that you

are the first person to call about it!

The S4 I have now from TMobile doesn't have the update and I'm not going to

download it at all. After being given the runaround by Verizon I had it

with them and switched to TMobile. So far I'm happy.

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

I've been saying the same thing for a long time. Yet nobody seems to recall that the 4.3 update was placed on hold due to major issues. How convenient. Now we are the BETA Testers reporting all the bugs that they were already aware of. How is that fair?? We're actually doing the troubleshooting for them. You know in the IT world, when we deploy updates we always have a rollback plan. In Windows it's called System Restore. Specifically put in place for when an update causes issues. Yet we are FORCED to live with a flawed 4.3 ROM on a phone.

boychik0830
Contributor - Level 1

how is nothing being done about the issues. the battery life on my s3 is crap thanks to Verizon who released a update with so many bugs on it. is it worth me trying a factory reset or will I still have some bugs. I do not want to reset unless I am 100% sure that doing a reset will fix all of the bugs. I would hate to do it and find out it does not work and I have to reload all of my apps and I loose my app data. something needs to be done here if the bugs cannot be fixed than they need to offer us a new phone not another s3  because it is there fault not our fault that our phones are not working.

jbmcdroid
Contributor - Level 1

Rob, how about we invite Verizon Customer Service & Technical Support to respond to the many issues in this discussion thread...(removed)

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes