Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
go_cb68
Enthusiast - Level 2

man! that sucks! ok, thank you for the info!

go_cb68
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for your info! : )

gorgy64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just this over all 'forced' update isn't good. It should have been an option, NOT forced.  With all of the different things that these phones do, with the aps, the GPS, the way to keep track of schedules, games for when boredom sets it, my alarm clock,  and so many many more endless other uses including using them to make/recieve calls.It's a personal exrension of myself no different than my wallet. MYy wallet holds the keys to my daily living! My phone has morphed into that as well. It's like someone took my wallet, and put my Master card in one pocket that it wasn't before, took out my Visa and flipped it around, decided that I don't need my fishing liscence anymore and took it completely out, decided to rewrite my business cards to read something else. This update is so wrong on so many levels. I travel for my job and have come to depend on my phone for so much more than calls. I'll stream my TV from home on it at night just to catch the local news to gvie me that feel that I'm not that far from home. Well, I fell asleep watching it while the phone was plugged in. Guess what? The rate of charge must have been slower than the rate of battery drain and my morning alarm never happened because the phone died and turned off sometime in the night. I missed a very imortant meeting which cost my company thousands of dollars. I've used this alarm flawlessly over the past year. I'm just beside myself.....

bluenewts
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thought I would post an update.  I spent all day backing up my phone yesterday and then did a factory reset and re-installed all my apps and data.  My battery life now is back to what it was before the update.  I'm still getting the unstable network message the first time I boot my phone and connect to my wireless network despite changing a couple recommended settings but at least the battery life is ok now.  If you are having battery problems, try the factory reset...it is a pain but appears to help.

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

It didn't help me.

gorgy64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Could just be a coincedence and is really related to signal stength. I noticed that when I have full bars of signal, the battery lasts longer while the phone was idle, but when I have about 3 of 5 bars, the battery drains very quickly.   I could be wrong, but it just seemed that way to me.

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

That is how it works on any phone. The stronger the signal the longer the battery lasts. However, since this update many users are having overall worse battery life no matter what.

0 Likes
aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

Did not help me, my wife or 3 of my friends (along with many users in this forum). Glad it did something for you.

0 Likes
jascotx
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just talked with a very congenial VZW Representative named Ali.  He reviewed my complaint that I filed against VZW with the FCC.  Although nice, Ali insisted that VZW has been unable to confirm device malfunctions caused by the Android 4.3 update.  He indicated that he would need to talk to his tech folks to see if they could indeed "confirm" that there was a problem, and that VZW was not receiving a very large volume of customer feedback.  So, I encourage any others out there who feel differently to give him a call and help provide more feedback to assist VZW's investigation on the matter. 

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi

I have reported to the FCC and got a call from Verizon today too.  I do encourage EVERYONE to contact FCC please.

Ali is correct it is not device specific, so they are being careful with their words.  The battery drain and some of these problems are not limited to Samsung, it also happens to LG and HTC owners with the 4.3 upgrade.

I think we simply have to insist that this was FORCED ON US, many of us would like to revert to the previous Android version where our phones operated correctly.

To be fair, this issue may be caused more by Google and Samsung, but I do believe the carriers (Verizon is not alone) have a fiduciary duty to user test thoroughly and update before they send it out to their subscriber base and start impacting plans, costs etc.  I also believe as a responsible carrier, Verizon should re-release the old Android update and give those who want to downgrade Android to do so.

I think if Verizon does this, it sends a clear signal to Google/Samsung etc that buggy and horrible software is not acceptable to the user base. 

Verizon should stand up even if AT&T, T-Mobile, Vodafone in EU etc don't stand up.  They should differentiate themselves and show they are truly a customer oriented and not just profit oriented (at the expense of customers) company.