Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
bigdaddycorn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not sure if I should post in this thread or start a new one.  I will start here.  Apologies if I'm in the wrong place. 

My GS3 was fine until about a month ago.  The battery drain is so severe my battery will drain even when plugged in.  This is using my original charger.  I also tried my wife's charger (also a GS3) and different outlets.  Last night, I booted my phone in safe mode and ran a Youtube video.  I dropped about 3% for a ten minute video while connected to AC in safe mode.  I then powered off my phone and let it sit for 5 hours on the charger.  My battery was at 29% after five hours.  This seems to be an extreme drop. 

AsianAlan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I was having the same problem two days ago.  After it dropped below 10% I just couldn't use it, even when plugged in to the charger.  I turned it off, once it charged above maybe 10% or so it, started to behave a little better and would actually start charging again.  Still having terrible battery life though.

Had the phone unplugged for 3 hours, down to 40% battery now.

AsianAlan
Enthusiast - Level 2

-

lakingslayer wrote:

Can anyone tell us if there is a fix in the works from Samsung/Verizon?

sure, i can handle this question easy.  NO

As far as any of us on the forum know, Verizon doesn't even seem to officially acknowledge that there is a problem, though the problem has been acknowledged by many news outlets and I heard somewhere that even Samsung said there is a problem. But as far as any response from Verizon about the issue, let me summarize their response:

- do a factory reset

- turn off any functionality other than the phone

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that you need to uninstall all your apps and turn off the bloatware that is provided by verizon.

mavfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess we are just left with filing a complaint with the FTC, which is

what I just did.

lakingslayer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well the lack of appropriate action and accountability is making me do the same. I've been with Verizon/Airtouch since I helped develop the first CDMA phone which launched in 1995. I think I'm done with them and Samsung.

WinH8er
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an idea. I'm getting tired of this crap. I'm about to put my account on suspension/hold. Switch to a cheap monthly paid phone. If everyone did this with Verizon, know how much money they would lose a month with nobody making any payments for months? Pfftt.

hi535
Enthusiast - Level 3

i have the much of the same issues after this latest update.

lost all my add-ons with firefox too after the update. strange.

after a reboot i have to go back and redo turning off apps that i had turned off prior to a reboot! this bloatware is just too much.

we pay ALOT of money each month for this phone/service. if possible i'm at the point to attempt to root it and get back the sense this is {my} phone and not verizons'.

with verizon's lawsuit win regarding net-neutrality, hand writing is on the wall, i may just get a cheaper no-frills phone & servicer.

hi535
Enthusiast - Level 3

i have to ditto!!

PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

CALL FOR ACTION

I think enough is enough, the verizon support moderators have been told to do anything to keep us here and not admit to the truth by giving useless suggestions.  The problem is a bad update, remove it, revert (yes love Android 4.1.2 or 4.2 compared to this bad update, or move us to KitKat (tested please)):

a) Does anyone have contacts with the Media or is anyone in Media?  Can we have a journalist take down Verizon and Samsung? 

b) Everyone here please complain to the regulator FCC

c) Write to your state representative

d) Write to your state/federal consumer affairs bureau

e) Write to Verizon to give you credit and indicate clearly it is their bad update which is draining batteries and creating huge data leakages and not your usage of the phone

f) If there is a lawyer reading this and want to create a class action lawsuit against Verizon, AT&T etc, you can count us in.

hi535
Enthusiast - Level 3

why don't the apps i turn off stay off after a reboot??