Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello ExSpectator
Thanks for reaching out to us! Let's look into these audio issues. I want you to enjoy the great sounds with your headphones.

Have you tried a different pair of headphones. Were the results the same? It may be an app interfering. Please power the device in safe mode and retest. Here's how:  http://bit.ly/Wvg2zd

I look forward to working with you and getting this resolved.

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Johncosta62, lets see what we can do about those ringtones. When you say they changed, are you referring to the stock tones that came on the phone or ones that you've downloaded?

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JuneMcP
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am so sick of seeing this canned response:

"Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:                 

SC-Claim, this is a great observation. Did you know that some application software can affect the performance of your device? Try uninstalling a few applications and power your device off/on to soft reset. Monitor your battery life and keep us posted. 

LasinaH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport"

Yes we all know this. We would love to uninstall those battery depleting applications (bloatware) that the last 4.3 update installed - if you would just tell us the applications that were installed in the update and how to get them off of our phone. Or better yet, tell us how to remove this update.  Please actually address the issue at hand and stop with this patronizing canned response.

0 Likes
PassionNP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well said

I fully agree, so please Verizon reps, stop patronizing us with your canned responses, which DO NOT work.

I guess you have been told by higher ups to keep giving us these canned responses to what is an avalanche of upset customers.

It seems to me Verizon doesn't care and nor does Samsung.  Verizon should have the dignity of going up to Samsung and saying you are upsetting our customer and if it is Verizon installed bloatware then understand clearly they should remove it and re-engineer their own apps.

I am encouraging everyone to report Verizon and Samsung to FCC.  We are still paying our bills which are rising as a result of the great data leakages caused by your update, our data charges and battery drain (which incidentally is shortening the life our batteries and devices) are rising. 

COME ON VERIZON, OWN THE PROBLEM, CREDIT CUSTOMERS AND SUE SAMSUNG IF YOU HAVE TO.

That way you keep happier subscribers and tell Samsung if they want to sell a better product, then it has to be extensively user tested before being rolled out.

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

gorgy64
Enthusiast - Level 2

This whole update is for the birds. After spending a couple of hours just reading thru half of the 39 pages from another post, it gave me a head ache. And then even more so when I registered to be able to reply, and found out the they locked the thread. UGH. I don't know if my battery life has been shortened because in the past I usually plug in my phone at any chance whether it's at my desk, in the car or on my night stand for the night. What I can't figured out is why the change in some of the graphics? For instance, on the main screen, the bar with the icons at top used to be a nice bar with a crisp straight line defining the bar. Now it fades from the main screen color to the bar color. Did that really needed changing? I'm a creature of habit and when I've been looking at this screen for over a year and a half, and it's different now, it throws me off. When I pull the 'shade' down to turn on my Bluetooth, the button had been on the left for over a year and a half. Now it's been put on the right. Really? The look of my e-mail is now different. I'm experiencing the same flashing every time my alarm goes off, an e-mail comes in, a text comes in and who knows what else. I went and looked at the 'Flash Notification' and it was unchecked. As suggested in other forums, I checked it and unchecked it and cycled power to my phone. Only time will tell if it went away. My biggest complaint though is the way 'Navigation' works now. I used to just be able to hit the blue arrow and one of the immediate selections would be the microphone for 'Speak Destination' and I could just speak into it and the GPS would be working in seconds. Now, when I hit the blue arrow, it's asking for starting point, destination etc. I stumbled thru frustrating sequences to just trying to figured out where the nearest gas station might be until I gave up and went to my ATT work phone S2 in which the 'Navigation' works the way it always did. After this update, I also noticed that a $20.00 Ap that I had on the phone was no longer there!!!  Luckily, when I went the the Play Store, it recognized that I already purchased it and it let me redownload and install it without charging me again. And to ad pain the misery, the newly downloaded version of that Ap has many different characteristics of the version that was on my phone originally. Can't things just be left alone?   This update 'push' is nothing short of that. Similar to being 'pushed' around on the playground as kids. the term 'push' is accurate in this scenerio. We were pushed into this without choice. I had constantly hit the button to not update the phone, but I accidently hit the wrong button while trying to do something else with the phone and it got me! I'm seriously considering dropping Verizon at whatever the cost. The aggravation is not worth it to me. If they would come up with a way to put the phone back to the original version just as easy as they made it to update it, I think we'd have alot of happy campers out there, but I don't see that happening anytime.

gorgy64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, as far as 'Navigation' is concerned, I also noticed that it doesn't give you a list. For example, if I said "Chinese Restuarant" into the Ap, it used to give me a list starting with the closest store to where I was located and I could choose from that list. Now, when I did it, it just chose the closest automatically and mapped it out. What a waste. If there's setting to make it close to way it used to be, I don't know about it, nor have the patience to try to figure it out.

misterjim
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's an inline device, so it requires no voltage. Essentially, it's a filter that removes the hum. To the best of my knowledge, this is only a problem when an audio device is charging from the car's 12v circuit and playing through the car's audio system.

0 Likes
lakingslayer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wife took update.  Battery life is about half of what it used to be after.  No changes other than the OTA.  This should not be.  We have factory reset the device and even ran it with just the stock apps that come with the device.  It still has the same horrible battery life.  Any additional apps do not matter on her device.  We have shut down any data and wifi as well as BT and GPS when not in use and the battery drain is still horrible.  I sure hope Verizon and Samsung are working on a fix for this.  I'm sorry but all the replies from the Verizon staff here are not addressing this issue.  They are just trying to skate the issue instead of taking responsibility for it.  It's not our fault it's theirs.

Can anyone tell us if there is a fix in the works from Samsung/Verizon?

JuneMcP
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same ringtone issue. All of my ringtones were changed back to the default. So I have to go into each individual contact and change the ringtone back to the custom I had chosen.

bluenewts
Enthusiast - Level 1

Used to get 12 hours of moderate use out of my sgs3 and now after the update getting around 7 hours of use.  Horrible!