Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
pyrocrig
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's a goofy question, I know "everyone" should be using model number SCH-I535, because it was Verizon specific, but perhaps some other phones were accidentally released or something to Verizon. Settings > About phone (at the bottom), in gray should be your Model Number. Your device name may be the same, if you never changed it.

Model number

SCH-I535

Baseband version

I535VRUCML1

Kernal Version

Hardware version

I535.10

Anyone have anything different?

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

Identical

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've done all of this. I even did a hard reset and reinstalled all my apps. The best I can hope for is "not so bad." If I wipe the cache the battery drain will be "not so bad" for a while.

Battery drain is always worse after a long recharge overnight. It will be at 100% when I take if off the charger and I can literally watch the charge drop to 99, 98... 90 in less than 5 minutes. 10% in 5 minutes? Ludicrous.

And by the way (this is for Verizon support): in safe mode the battery drain was identical. The only app I could use was the browser as everything else was disabled but still, as long as I was using the app, the battery drain was about 1-2% per minute.

0 Likes
ells1010
Enthusiast - Level 2

just here to echo alllllllll the complaints. my phone literally will die while charging, lose power while charging, and loses battery very quickly even if i'm not doing anything.

this is really inconvenient and it would be great if there was a solution forthcoming sometime soon......

oh, and i tried factory reset and changing the battery and it did not help. it's obviously an app issue.

0 Likes
pyrocrig
Enthusiast - Level 3

Continue to by mystified.

This AM I did the same thing I usually do, except I closed all apps. Opened Chrome browsed Tumblr (in browser, not app) for a bit at bfast, checked email lost 5%. No biggie. Left these 2 apps open only. Phone in pocket for drive in to work. Only lost 3% more, rather than the 23% from yesterday. Hmmmm.... The plot thickens.

Sorry many of you are having what seems like FAR greater issues than I am.

ells1010, have you tried just a microUSB cable plugged into your computer, or one of those AC/USB adapters? That is working well for me. Maybe the lack of proprietary voltage or some BS?

Is this everyone's battery this?:

Samsung, Near Field Communication, 3.8V, 7.98 Wh. EB-L1GLLZ 2100 mAh.

VZW: SAMINTBATS8

0 Likes
ells1010
Enthusiast - Level 2

i've tried everything. it seems like the phone is losing power faster than it is charging. because when i charged it while turned off, it went to 100 percent - and then when i turned it on it showed me 29 percent. ridiculous

JuneMcP
Enthusiast - Level 2

I really like my Galaxy S3 but the battery drain continues to get worse. When I purchased my phone, the battery was very good. Now I just replaced my battery, but there is no change in the drain. I also upgraded my phone recently, apparently a mistake. The battery issue has only intensified. There are now even more unnecessary and unwanted applications running on my phone.

Not everyone needs everyone else to know everything they are doing every minute and has to, or especially wants to, "Share" everything they do with everyone. And they keep turning themselves back on, along with a never ending, ever increasing list of others.  I am constantly turn off apps with the Task manager, Antivirus, and Malware apps. Only to have them restart.

Making the issue worse, it is impossible to tell which apps are necessary for my phone to function and which are frivolous. I have done the tedious task of looking up individual apps online to see, but even them, it is not always clear. I would love to get hold of a list of the apps on my phone (or most Verizon phones or Samsung phones or the updates) with indications as to what they do and the other apps that are associated with them. Surely someone must have this. Help please!

mavfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also experiencing this battery drain.  C'mon Verizon!!  Fix this issue.  I've heard of "planned obsolescence" to get users to sign up for Verizon Edge.   For Verizon's sake (ahem, class action) I hope this is not the case.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to have a reliable battery and I'm here to make the most out of yours! Please follow these tips http://vz.to/1j1jgs5 . If problem persists, please do the following:
1- Complete a full charge on the phone>Power off and unplug it from the wall charger.
2- Start the device in Safe Mode http://vz.to/1hyjqEj .
3- Power the device off again. Remove the battery and SIM card.
4- Wait a minute, re-insert battery and SIM. Power On.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mavfan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did not have these settings checked PRIOR TO THE UPDATE, and my battery life was normal.  I should not have to sacrifice performance due to what I am perceiving as a planned depreciation of my device by Verizon in order to get me to upgrade.