Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rstark,

I understand how frustrating it can be to lose battery life so quickly; I've been there and definitely want to help you get the most out of yours. Manufacturers have always outlined phones need to be charged with the manufacturer's chargers or authorized. Utilizing others may not charge it or cause problems; I apologize for the inconvenience. Please read this information to ensure everything's being done correctly http://vz.to/1eV8Ftz . Then extend battery life with these, http://vz.to/1d7oKxy .

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Tmoore916
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forget about the battery drain.. The wi-fi issues are borderline criminal as i dont have unlimited data, as well as the music output on the phones headphones jack is total junk now!!!!!!1 You guys at android and verizon know it too but you just HADDDDDDDD to push the update so your stupid dick tracy galaxy gear watch that you pushed for christmas sales would work... PROBLEM IS IF THIS PHONE ISNT FIXED SOON I WILL SWITCH

elaff
Enthusiast - Level 2

No.

Just no.

This Discussions isn't about how to use/care for a battery properly. It's about the Android 4.3 update and how it has compromised the batteries of our Samsung Galaxy SIII devices.

Thumbs down to you, Verizon Wireless Customer Support.

Tmoore916
Enthusiast - Level 2

Address the updat and push a FIX dont sit here and try to act like i should be clearing the cache on my phone and install battery saver apps... SHAME ON YOU Verizon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You expect me to hold up my end of the deal and pay my monthly bill on time NOW HOLD UP YOUR END OR ISSUE ME AN IPHONE

elaff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: I did try this on Monday and things seem much closer to normal in terms of my Galaxy SIII's battery life.  If you haven't already, give this a shot.

A. Put the phone into Safe Mode:

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key.
  3. When 'Samsung Galaxy S III' appears on the screen, release the Power key. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  4. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  5. 'Safe mode' will display in the bottom left corner of the screen. Release the Volume down key when you see 'Safe Mode.'

B. Let the phone charge to 100%
C. Let the phone sit for a bit- note whether or not the battery is still decreasing rapidly (if not, it's most likely app related)

D. Run Wipe Cache Partition:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
    • Volume Up key
    • Home key
    • Power key
  3. When the phone vibrates, let go of the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
  4. When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
  5. Press the Volume Down key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
  6. Press the Power key to select and wipe the cache.
  7. With 'reboot system now' highlighted, press the Power key to restart the device.

E. I then downloaded Changelog Droid app to see if I updated any apps after the Android 4.3 update, uninstalled those apps, and then reinstalled. (Note: The app recognizes changes you made, even before you download it)

Hopefully this helps!

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can help you with the wifi issue even if Verizon cannot. Do this:

Go to Settings and select “Wifi”

Tap menu and select “Advanced”

Scroll down to Auto network switch and uncheck it.

That should prevent the switching between wifi and mobile data.

0 Likes
HotBacon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Add me to the list.  I noticed the update on 14Jan14, and made it through one day w/o too many issues (that I noticed).  Today my battery went from 100% to 26% in a few hours of the phone being idle.  My wife's phone did the same thing.  She also told me that her's is unable to charge as well (has been plugged in for several hours and battery % is dropping).  I have not plugged mine in yet to see if mine has the same issue.

pyrocrig
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tmoore916 - Whoa. I haven't had issues with the Wi-Fi. What's it doing to you? I've been considering "down grading" my account, but your post gives me pause. What's happening there?

What is funny is this is 4.3. Android is already at 4.4. And it took them FOREVER to release this update. I figured it would be slammin' and PERFECT! ... DOH!  Might be a good time to consider Sprint and Nexus 5. Co-worker has it and LOVES it. No bloatware. Simple. Battery lasts all day with pretty excessive use.

pyrocrig
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh yeah, and this AM the battery got even worse in my pocket on the way into work. 98% on my drive into work. Left the phone in my pocket during my drive in. Noticed it was pretty hot when I arrived. Which happens when the graphics processor is very active, or the phone is working hard. Not sure what it was trying to do on standby in my pocket... but when I got to work 24 minutes later, I had 84%. 14% drop on standby in my pocket!? I am running DS Battery Saver to try and manage the Wi-Fi, screen, etc. Maybe it's not compatible or something.

The fact that I have to download such and app seems.... ridiculous really. My wife has the iPhone and has NEVER had any of these issues ... ever.

0 Likes
AJC_S3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agree with all the others posting here - VERIZON / SAMSUNG - PLEASE FIX THIS!

My S3 is now getting about 1 1/2 - 2 hours even if it's just sitting in my pocket. 

I installed Wakelock Detector and it's telling me that Google Services and Android System are causing most of the CPU Wakelocks.  My Battery is showing 63% Android System and 11% Google Services.  Before the upgrade, most of the consumption was Screen.

So there is obviously something wrong with this update!

0 Likes