Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

I tried safe mode and did not have the same results. I still had a higher than normal drain.

0 Likes
Defiantcustom
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did the update the other day on my two S3's, the next day they both drained the battery overnight by 90%. I did a factory reset, and the phones were normal for one day. Now the batteries are draining again, and mine has been charging for 9 hours today, and I'm only up to 75%. Phone is completely stock, no facebook, wifi, gps, turned off.

rudeguyy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine has always been turned off and it still does it. I even tried turning it on for awhile and then shutting it back off hoping that would help but it didn't. It seems like it works best when I'm home but even that is spotty.

elaff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Should we possibly forward all of this info onto the Samsung Developers forum? After speaking with two rather incompetent Samsung Customer Service Reps, they said they are "no known issues reported" on their end and at the same time they are unable to view any websites aside from their own.

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

Absolutely! Everyone tells a different story....and many will not admit this is an issue even when they know it is. According to the last Verizon rep I spoke to, Samsung confirmed this was an issue on 1-7-14 with Verizon and were looking into a fix. The Verizon rep was well aware of this issue as she had taken many calls related to battery drain and phone getting hot. She also stated there was an active ticket being escalated regarding 4.3 issues. I have not had a chance to call since then so I'm not sure what's going on. The more noise we make the better chance of getting an answer. It shouldn't be that way....there is something called "customer service". I've yet to see it on this particular issue.

0 Likes
TMDE
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got the same response from the Samsung rep.  He said the version they sent out was good and the only way to fix the problem is to do a factory reset and re-install 4.3.  From previous posts this sounds like it may not work and causes me a lot of hassle unanticipated.

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

For me a Factory data reset did absolutely nothing. Except cause me hours of setting my phone back up after running bone stock to see if there was an issue....which there was.

0 Likes
elaff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just keep telling the Samsung customer service robots that I'm not doing a factory reset because it involves backing things up, which I don't have the time to do right now, and that it's clearly an Android 4.3 update issue. They don't seem to care about that at all.

lakingslayer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I sure hope SS/Verizon get this straitened out.  My wife took the update and has nothing but huge battery issues.  Every update until this one has never changed the batter drain that we could notice and we've had this device since it was released.  I hate it when the Verizon replies on here say go to the section on how to extend your battery life.  That does nothing for this issue.  I've refused the update so far but it's a royal (removed) to do so.  I've been with Airtouch/Verizon since 1995 and after they way they are treating their customers I'm ready to go back to a string and a can.  I'd call that progress.

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
rstark
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had my Galaxy 3s for over a year, and my battery used to last 8-9 hours and after the update last week, it now drains in about 2 hours, or 1 hour if using GPS and Navigation. But the worst problem is that NONE of my chargers now work except the official one ($34) from the Verizon store. I had several great portable chargers that didn't need to be plugged into the wall. None of them, including my car charger,  work any more. In fact, since when plugged into them, it keeps beeping to show that it's NOT charging (although it shows the lightening bolt, as if it is), it actually drains the phone faster. I went to the Verizon store and wasted hours with the guy doing a factory reset, have purchased a new LI-Ion battery, etc. The only way I get through the day now is to constantly find places I can plug in my phone, and to take the extra battery and use a universal battery charger I bought from Radio Shack that allows me to charge the extra battery that is not in the phone. It amazes me that for some phones like mine, they were able to make a change in the firmware that forces the micro usb to now demand a very exact charge.

I am beyond frustrated but at least the service rep I talked to at Samsung DID admit that many people have the same problem as me, and he asked that I make an official comment/complaint on the Samsung site. And everyone at Verizon has admitted that this problem exists as well. I am just praying that they fix this soon and that I can start using my portable chargers again.