S9 won't recieve text messages sent while out of service range
fatpat51

Hello. I recently switched from an S7 to an S9 and have noticed an issue receiving texts in the last few weeks. There's a location where I spend a few hours each week that does not have service. Once I leave, as I'm driving down the road and come to an area with service again, I will get a text message notification and can see the first few words and who it's from on the ribbon at the top of the screen before it quickly goes away. Once I unlock the phone and open the messages app, the text is nowhere to be found and after weeks of this happening, none of the messages have shown up in the conversations. This has happened to texts from multiple senders, weeks apart. I've never had this issue before and it's incredibly frustrating. If I don't see it as soon as the notification comes through, I'll never know that person had sent me a text. As long as I have service, there has never been an issue with text messages.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: S9 won't recieve text messages sent while out of service range
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing such detailed information. As a valued customer, your service concerns are our concerns too and we're here to help. Congrats on recently switching to the S9!Texting is very important and it keeps you connected with others. We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems locating text message conversations sent to you from several senders. That's not the experience we want for you, so let's work together to get this resolved. May I ask which messaging app are you using? (e.g., Verizon Message +, app included with your Samsung phone, third party messaging app, etc.) Are the senders able to receive texts messages from you? - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
fatpat51

The app is simply called "messages" that I believe is default to the S9. Version 11.5.10.372

Everything operates normal except for those times when I immediately regain service after not having it for a few hours. The only time there was an issue with me sending a message was during one of these occurrences after I got service again, I saw a message come through on the notification ribbon and could tell what the person was asking, luckily. When I opened up the messages app, their text was not there but I typed out a response in the text field and hit send. When I hit send, the message disappeared from the typing field but did not populate on the conversation thread as a text normally would. I thought it did not go through but within a few seconds I received a response to my message and that response did show up in the conversation thread.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our goal is to help make sure you always receive your messages. When you are out of service range this is usually what will happen. Do you have roaming data/voice on to help connect to other towers?

0 Likes
fatpat51

Go back and read what I wrote. Go ahead, read it again. Of course I won't be able to receive text messages while I'm out of service range! 

The issue is that if someone sent me a text message during the time I didn't have service, after I get back into service range, I will get a notification that I have a text but when I open the app, it doesn't show up in the conversation thread.

***There's been a new development. Yesterday I discovered that some of these messages sent to me had actually come through, but they were dated July 24th, 2001. Therefore, I didn't see them in the conversation thread because they populated at the very top. After investigating farther, this has happened with some of the other messages as well all with random dates in 2001. How do I fix this so that the date and time corresponds to when I actually receive the messages?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Even when out of range your messages should come through in it's entirety as long as you are connected to our service within 72 hours of the message being sent. When I recently traveled, and had my phone in Airplane Mode, once I landed, a received about 20 messages, and all of the content was there. 

I would like to get some more insight to your S9 to see what is causing this issue. I will be sending you a Private Message so we can get account access. 

0 Likes