S7Edge Oreo update causing issues
dchung_1

I Updated my Samsung S7Edge 32GB SM-G935V Rev0.7 on June 22 to update to G935VVRU4CRE5....Since then I have issues and problems.

• Battery drains faster when screen is off and unused (during hours I sleep)
  • No longer will Fast charge on wireless charger, or by usb plug
  • Phone gets hot when screen is off, and apps not running
  • Email Icon no longer notes number of unread messages
  • Can't see status bar text because the white text is too washed out.
  • Status bar hangs when using "Blackr" app and needs/reqs. to swipe up to hide
  • Blasted with new/ useless notifications in status bar, and can't disable them

When I sleep, the battery now drains 30% of the device, compared to 4-6% running nougat;

The fast charging feature does not work anymore. I made sure the setting was set on and toggle the setting back and fourth a few times for good measure. I tried on my Verizon Qi Wireless charger, I tried using my anker USB plug to HSS USB port on my computer (which worked under nougat), I tried using my original samsung cable and fast charge wall charger. None of this worked. when my device is at 25% it now reads 6h34m to charge, under nougat it was 2h14m. I tried toogling off the fast charger and replugging in by usb and notice that the time estimate does not change.

I don't know what is causing the excess battery burn rate when in standby mode. The phone notes 0% battery usage on all the apps listed (under settings & device maintenance)

It concerns me that the phone gets hot at random when not used. I fear it will torch-up like a samsung note.

To rectify these issues I have tried restarting the device, Restarted into safe-mode, Cleared the Cache partition (using the recovery menu....Up volume+home button, then power), I have gone threw my setting menu and optimized device, and optimized battery check (both noted as ok) None of these helped.

I wish there was an option to NOT update your device, Delaying once every 24hr is not reasonable.

Verizon your techs, Samsung, and Google android software team needs to fix this.....My phone last 3 hours before it needs a charge, takes 6 hours to recharge, and I fear it will catch on fire.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
Re: S7Edge Oreo update causing issues
amyejoyce

I have had the same problem.  Verizon has replaced my phone twice saying it is not an issue with the upgrade.

0 Likes
mbrooke1215
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too am having some of the same issues that dchung is unfortunately having.

Verizon, you need to own up to the problems with this last update, Oreo, Spring/Summer 2018. You KNOW there are issues and yet you continue to let your faithful, paying customers go around and round in circles doing all the tons of things that you know will help 0-2% because we are fighting a losing battle, it is impossible, until you issue a fix.

Your customers are not stupid, they know when there is a problem and when you are ignoring it. Not nice.

My phone is a brand new Galaxy S7, I upgraded begrudgingly in June because my S5 camera of 5 years was broken and I could not take it any longer, so I figured for weeks whether or not I wanted to go with Samsung/Verizon again, or with a competitor, and Verizon won out and why?  Because of the history, personal and otherwise, of good customer service. Now I am seriously wondering about that decision because I see this issue over and over again, and Verizon is avoiding it like the plague, and its not right.

I had no problems with this new phone. Just as soon as I had my content moved and used it a few days, here comes the first update. Its never long with these folks, one of the things I wanted to get away from with this provider/brand, but went with anyway to stay with familiarity and good customer service.

Now, my phone is at 100% at 8am, and down to 45% by noon. It shuts off and reboots while just sitting on the counter, and takes 2 and a half hours to charge back to 100% from 45.  I am not looking forward to doing a factory reset, but I will. But NOT before I tell Verizon: Shame on you guys. Own up to the problem and at least let your loyal customer know that you are aware and share this experience with them. You helped us get here now help us get out, its the professional and respectable thing to do.  Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the details dchung_1. We understand how frustrating issues after software updates can be, specially life battery issues, and we do a lot of testing along with the manufacturers to avoid them. The last thing we want is for our customers to have phone issues. These updates are meant to give you a better experience with your phone.

We appreciate you taking the time to do all the troubleshooting you mentioned. The only thing left to do is to backup your phone and do a Factory Data Reset. This helps as it will completely re-install the software on your device and clear any error that might have occurred during your update. Please let us know how your Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge works after the Factory Data Reset. 

UbaldoJ_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

amyejoyce,

We're sorry to hear that you experienced the same issues twice on your device. We want to make sure your device is fixed. Are you still experiencing the issue? 

Katrina_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mbrooke1215, we are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Galaxy S7 after the Oreo update. This is definitely not the experience that we want you to have, and we will be glad to help address any concerns you have in mind about getting this issue corrected. Please keep in mind that these software updated are not released by Verizon, but instead are released by the Manufactures of your devices which in this case is Samsung. We do however, know that different users have been having issues after this updated, and for this reason our technicians, are in contact with Samsung's technicians to help create a new software update that will correct the problem that these devices are having after the update. Please be aware for any new software updates that will be releasing with your Galaxy S7, and when you see that it is available pleas download the new software that will help get this problem corrected. Was this information helpful?

David_VZW

0 Likes