S7 & S7 Edge Battery Drain
Revoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 3 Verizon Samsung S7 Edge (SM-G935V, my wife and I each daily use ours and I have a 3rd device for testing purposes) and 1 Verizon S7 (SM-G930V, my mom's) that are all suffering from severe battery drain and performance issues.  Let me start by stating that this trouble did not exist on the first iteration of Verizon's Oreo (Android 8.0) update, but has been broken, fixed, and then broken again during subsequent updates.  I have tried factory data resets, debloating the preinstalled software, and used the battery saver settings (lowered resolution down to HD, "Optimized" phone in device manager, changed "Performance Mode").

All 4 of these devices are in perfect working order with healthy batteries, never rooted or modded, never opened or tampered with, and have the latest and official Verizon (forced I might add) software update; Build # R16NW.G935VVRS8CRK2 (for the Edge phones).  None show abnormal battery utilization, or rogue apps (remember, all 4 of these devices have different apps running including my test S7E that has every app possible disabled, including system apps).

Also, the battery utilization never matches the usage, for instance, my phone was just fully charged, screen on time (SOT) is 13 minutes and I have 79% left on my battery.  Total usage per the battery monitor is 14% between the various systems which means the phone cannot account for 7% of usage.  Before this issue, I could go all day and still have 40%+ left on my battery, now I end up with less than 15% in 8 hours with almost no usage.

I have so much more to type, but no time right now.  Please Verizon, let me know what can be done to resolve this issue.  Thank you,

Matt

0 Likes
Re: S7 & S7 Edge Battery Drain
Revoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm now down to 2% with little usage, good signal strength and all but connectivity radios (wifi and carrier, no Bluetooth, not NFC, etc) off.

My test S7E is on airplane mode and drops just as quickly, so I've taken that I to consideration before complaining. I detect no rougue sensors and all of the "Advanced Features" are turned off including those that may utilize keep-alive, wakelock, or kernel-level timers.

Some might say it's time for an upgrade and these devices are getting on in years, but I can assure you these 4 phones are all victim to a bad update, prior to which their battery lives lasted +25% longer. Thank you,

Matt

0 Likes
vanetrisc_vzw
Verizon Employee

Matt, I'd be concerned with the battery difference and fluctuation. That could occur because there might be different applications and usage from each device.  I know it is frustrating to have it perform well then not perform as it should with the newest update. The updates are suppose to enhance your experience when using a device.  I'm here to help find out what's going on. Please tell me,  what zip code are you having trouble in? Does your device perform better in other areas?

VanetrisC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Revoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

VanetrisC,

Thank you for your response.  Although the issue remains regardless of device physicality, my zip code is 14618 for the sake of discussion/troubleshooting.  All 4 devices have varying uses and utilization, but 3 of the 4 are connected to wifi almost 100% of the time when used.  The one that is not eats battery at the same or greater pace.

Network connectivity has never been an issue as all devices have great reception to LTE and are in close proximity with full reception on wifi.  None have phone cases that affect temperature or reception to any perceiveable or measurable amount. This drain continues regardless of performance mode, radio status (LTE, wifi, NFC) and of course the issue is exacerbated with an increase of screen brightness (as expected).

Please bear in mind that my complaint isn't simply poor battery life, but rather a substantial increase in battery consumption since this software update and the past one (also the 4th one back). Not the previous two, but the third update ago corrected this same complaint since 4 updates ago was the first I and my family really noticed the drain. The original Android 8.0 upgrade was the best as it brought the new functionality and a balanced battery.

I know this is a lot of information, and I have much more than this to share, but I will await your response so I can supply you with relevant information to your assistance. Thank you again,

Matt

Revoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry to add more info, but I feel this is very relevant and key; with this increase battery consumption, we have noticed a proportionate increase in heat production and a serious decrease in application performance.  All apps are slower to open and feel "laggy", Google Maps seems to be the worst offender and now responds at about 1/10th the pace previously experienced.

Matt

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important that you are able to get good battery life out of your Galaxy S7 Edge, Revoe. Do know if any of the devices have a Battery Saver Mode or Performance Mode active? Have you tried running the devices in Safe Mode to see if they drain more slowly?

PeterP_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Revoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your reply Peter,

As previously stated, I have tried several performance modes, but I will not be using (long term) on my daily use device, battery saver mode that decreases screen brightness an additional 10%, lowers resolution from 1440p to 720p, limits CPU speed, and disallows background app updates/refresh.

Right now, I have my one test phone with all allowable apps (system included, and that don't crash the OS) disabled, in airplane mode (no radios on), with screen off.  From a full charge, booting up and placing in airplane mode consumed 2%. In the past 5 hours, it has consumed exactly what any device setup similarly should consume; 0%.  So we know there is not a short in the phone somewhere.

For testing purposes, I have tried various modes which do show some variation in battery usage, but the issue persists and is repeatable; 4 separate devices, 4 different uses and utilizations, all suffering from a greatly increased battery consumption. The only commonality is that they all received forced software updates just prior to the reported trouble.

You may not be able to assist me on an individual case basis (I am open to option and suggestions still), but this information can certainly be relayed to your development group so that the next update can resolve this issue. Since S7 and S7E are reaching end-of-life, "sunsetting" as some like to call it, I simply don't want to be stuck permanently with 4 hot, power-hungry, expensive glass bricks.  Let me know what I can try next to assist in your investigation. Thank you,

Matt

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you, Revoe. It looks like the only thing that was included in the last two software updates for the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge was the security update from Google and Samsung. The last Software update that included other enhancements was released in October. You mentioned that the October update did not negatively impact your devices, and in fact improved performance from the September update. Are you running any VR software on your devices, such as Oculus or Samsung Gear VR?

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
Revoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your response Peter,

I always read the release notes and changelog (what little detail there is in them), not that it matters because the updates are forced onto the phones.  I do understand that there are frequently other "optimizations" and subsystem updates that are pushed as a piggyback of sorts.

None of my devices are used for anything other than daily phone use, no games, normal video and social media consumption. The problem is that with no change in use, just a software push, all 4 phones drain 20+% more rapidly.  This includes my test S7E without anything installed besides Google Play and the other apps that could not be disabled (including system).

My test device also doesn't have a SIM installed and the radios disabled except wifi, which has all bars connectivity and line of sight to the router.  It always has sync disabled, but still drains super fast. The only way I have been able to stop the drain is by placing the device in airplane mode.

With airplane mode enabled, I have 90 hours standby clocked (no actual use) and still over 70% battery life left. This indicates that we're not dealing with rogue app consuming power, but more likely system issues with bad keep-alive timers, wake locks, or something that is failing to obtain requested data from its source, causing unresolvable system utilization.

Right now, my daily S7E shows 57% life yet, but battery monitor can only account for the 25% of the 43% missing.  Although differences from actual to perceived consumption are common, this discrepancy is mammoth and totally unacceptable from a developer standpoint. I'm sure when this varience has been resolved, you will discover the source of the drain and patch it.

I have spent several hours typing up very detailed information about every aspect of my trouble, but since I havent received any responses other than simple probes and basic questions regarding usage, I'm asking that this be escalated to the next level.  If there is someone I can speak with, I will happily do so.  Please let me know, and happy new year,

Matt

josepht_vzw
Verizon Employee

REVOE,

Your battery life is an important part of your device experience. It's paramount to us that you're able to enjoy your phone without having to worry about finding the time to charge it. We've sent you a DM regarding this. Please respond to that message at your earliest convenience.

JosephT_VZW

0 Likes