S5 mysteriously resetting to factory condition.
PHIRIL26
Enthusiast - Level 2

Twice in the past week my S5 has mysteriously reset itself to its factory settings, wiping out all of my apps and my SD card.  What would cause that to happen?

0 Likes
Re: S5 mysteriously resetting to factory condition.
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

That is very odd. Have you gotten an update lately? If you did have you cleared the cache partition in recovery mode  ?

Volume up-power-home

volume down to clear cache partition press power button

volume down to yes press power button

This will not reset any of the phone settings

0 Likes
PHIRIL26
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank You for your reply

1.) The notification to install the latest S5 update just popped up on my phone this morning, and I installed it a few hours ago. (Andriod Version 6.0.1)

2.) I just now wiped my cache as per your guidance, so too soon to tell if that will help.

3.) I bought this phone new in the box seven months ago from a VERIZON store.  Yesterday I took the phone to my local VERIZON Store to ask about the problem. They said that the S5 can not handle the newer versions of Andriod, that I needed to buy out this phone ($381) and that I needed to buy a S6 or higher.  I told them NO.

So my question is - Is it true that Samsung is having us upload Android updates for the S5 that are too large for the S5 to handle???  

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

The S5 can not handle nougat the processor is not fast enough that is what I had read awhile back

but they are always updating marshmallow well at least for a while

0 Likes
PHIRIL26
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok. Thank You.

That is good to know.

Hopefully installing the latest update and clearing the cache will fix the problem. I think I'll wait a week or so before I reinstall my apps or save anything on my SD card.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Please keep us posted on how your phone is doing

Thanks

0 Likes