S5 Echo Issue and Failure to Replace
hsethallen

I have encountered the S5 Echo problem that EVERYONE seems to be having.  I purchased the phone on 06/17/14 to have a as a reliable business phone as I travel all over the USA for work and need a reliable cell phone at all times for work purposes.  As I was moving and traveling, I didn't use the new phone for the first week, then when I arrived at the new job site a week in, I find I have the echo issue.  After going to the Verizon store and waiting half an hour, the attendant there dismissed that anything was wrong by calling the number from his personal line and claiming he heard no echo. I then called from my hotel line once I was home and there WAS still an echo. Irritated already I get on Verizon and spend 20 minutes getting to a representative, who claims to have never heard anything about this issue and promptly gives me a number to call a tech line for replacement. Upon calling that line I am immediately prompted for a 5 digit code he did not give me.  SO I spend another 20 minutes on the line getting a representative.  We proceed to go through pulling the battery and SIM card, backing up all data, hard factory reset, AND the problem still continued as well as the call quality she was receiving from my phone was beyond poor.  She informed me that the phone would likely need to be replaced and that I was on day 14 of the 14 day window for the DOA replacement with a new phone.  She then transfers me to someone else to process my new phone being sent.  This person then proceeds to ask that about all of the tests that we went through to get to where we determined the phone needed replaced AND then goes on to tell me that I am on day 15 because the day I bought it counted as a day and that my phone couldn't be replaced but instead could go through  warranty and be replaced with a REDFURBISHED PHONE.   This is completely unacceptable as I've had issues with every refurbished phone I have ever used and the entire point of having this line was to have a completely reliable phone for business and travel.  I am on the edge plan for this line and do not intend on paying $XX.XX/month for a refurbished phone 15 days after buying a brand new one, with warranty, with insurance, as well as glass screen protector and case.  I am told the only way I could possibly get a new phone was through the store where I bought the phone (over 1500 miles away) and that they would have to make an exception specifically for me and that this was extremely unlikely.

Is there any way out of this? Will there be a software update to fix this echo? Is this a problem with the physical phone? Am I wrong in thinking it unacceptable to be paying monthly for a refub 15 days of initial purchase in with all my precautions?

0 Likes
Re: S5 Echo Issue and Failure to Replace
hsethallen

@VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you trying so many steps to resolve your echo troubles, hsethallen. Although echo issues are not happening on each of the thousands of S5 devices out there, this rare occurance does sometimes lead to a replacement being needed. Certified Like-New Replacements http://vz.to/uyYF0o go through extremely rigorous testing to ensure the device is just as good if not better than a new device. If you would prefer to keep your new device, there is the option of going directly through the manufacturer. Although we highly recommend the replacement program through us to ensure you are not without a device, Samsung can be reached at 888-987-4357 for possible warranty alternatives.

JenniferH_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
daddyox3

I have the same problem with a relatively new phone (Galaxy S5). Unfortunately I've kept it a few months because it was just my wife complaining and I didnt' realize for everyone else I was on bluetooth. What makes the echo go away is to take off the battery cover, but that's not realistic. Its pretty easy to find this issue very commonly on the internet, so its not "rare". Phone works fine on bluetooth or speaker. No case. Its a pattern here. For someone who has 5 phones with Verizon, this is very frustrating. This should be a recall for defective phones.

0 Likes
dirtpusher

This is apparently a very common issue that is not likely to be resolved by getting another S5 phone. The echo goes away if you are 15 feet or more distant from the phone. Awful problem, looking for solution.

0 Likes
bigdog5

To fix the S5 echo, Turn off the TalkBack app by google. It's causing Echo issues.  Speakerphone issues.

0 Likes