S4 wont' even update to NG6, but I think it may be a blessing in disguise.
jsbrown205

So ever since NG6 was pushed out to my phone, I have tried to run the OTA upgrade a couple times a day.  Every time it will download the update, and when run will attempt to install.  It consistently gets an error during install and makes no changes to my phone.

The frustration of having a phone that feels the need to constantly remind me that I have an update, that it subsequently fails to install is really annoying.  The fact that so many have had issues with the  update makes me think I don't even want it.

Is there anything I can try to get it to install or should I wait until the next one since NG6 is so broken?

0 Likes
Re: S4 wont' even update to NG6, but I think it may be a blessing in disguise.
Klue
Master - Level 1

If you feel that NG6 is so broken then why would you want to install it? I installed NG6 on my phone about a week ago and so far there has been no problems.  If you do not want to install the update you can just hit the back button when you are notified there is an update to install.  This will bye you some time, up to a couple of months, but eventually the update will self install itself at some time.  My advise to you if you want to install this update is back up all your files, remove your SD card and do a full factory reset prior to downloading the update.  Your chances of having a problem free update after the install are greatly increased.

anotherhaus
Enthusiast - Level 3

In my case, a full data reset/hard reset before (and after) updating has still left me with terrible battery life problems. It's interesting to hear someone who has taken NG6 and had no problems at all. I wonder what are the differences in our phones? I've had my S4 for maybe a year and a half, so I wonder if there are hardware issues relating to when the device was made?

0 Likes
jsbrown205

Really looking for feedback on the update to decide about it.  Didn't know if this install problemishes was happening to anybody else.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I keep my smart phones stock. I have one app that is news oriented only. I do not load performance enhancing apps on my phones like app killers, keyboards, battery managers, launchers, ram managers, and the like. By keeping my phones stock I have never had an update hiccup. I believe that is the key.  Since you are having problems getting the update to install, more than likely you are having a software conflict between what you might have previously loaded on your phone and the update. That is why I recommended that your do a full factory reset before your try to install the update again. There are a lot of people on this forum reporting problems with this latest update and I wonder how many cleaned up their phone prior to installing the update.

stef7
Master - Level 2

FWIW, Give it three or so charge/use cycles to get the modelling of battery charge remaining estimated more accurately. That's a typical post update issue everyone goes through regardless of make and model.

0 Likes