S4 Won't Charge After Recent N6 Update?
andrewhost
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wife's battery was getting low and not charging when plugged in and then she started getting screen popups saying this:

"Power Sharing

You must download the app in order to control the amount of power shared. If you connect your device to another device with the Samsung Power Sharing Cable EP-SG900 without the app, the entire battery amount will be tranferred to the other deivice. Connect to Samsung Apps and download the application."

We tried downloading the Samsung Power Sharing App to see if it would fix the problem but then started getting the following:

"Unable to share battery power while it is below 20%"

Phone won't charge.

I tried taking the battery out and charging it separately from the phone.  It has a full charge now and when placed back in the phone the phone shows a full charge but begins to drain the battery even when plugged in.  Battery will no longer charge while in this phone.  I've seen the same problem while the phone is plugged in and turned off.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Re: S4 Won't Charge After Recent N6 Update?
andrewhost
Enthusiast - Level 2

Turned out that the micro usb charger port went bad.  I suspect the port just went bad right after the N6 upgrade purely by coincidence.

I bought a brand new one on Ebay titled "New USB Port Dock Charging Charger Flex Cable for Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon i545" for only $6.66 delivered.  Yes, that's right, less than $7 dollars delivered in 3 days.  I watched this Youtube video I found and 20 minutes later my phone is fixed.  We are charging again!!

It Is Fairly Easy to Solve Galaxy S4 Charging Port Problem - YouTube

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: S4 Won't Charge After Recent N6 Update?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's give your wife back the power to power her phone, andrewhost! Have you tested multiple chargers? Try starting the device in Safe Mode and connect charger to see if the charging resumes: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/77504

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
andrewhost
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried Safe Mode but it made no difference.  Wife took the phone to the Verizon Wireless Store and they tried using there charges to no avail.  They said the phone looks like it is in condition.  They offered no remedy other than that we could buy a new phone through them.

0 Likes
andrewhost
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried full phone factory reset but it didn't help.  My best guess now is that the recent N6 update was just a coincidence and that the problem is with the physical charging port.  I've ordered the replace part and I intend to install it myself.  I'll post the result in a few days.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

If you'd had the phone less than a year and you have insurance,  it's best to go through customer service and the Tech Dept. ask if you can speak with a Tear 2 Tech have the tech trouble shoot the issue with you so they then determine there's an issue and can send you a replacement..

You try and take the phone apart and fix it your self you could possibly void the warranty & when you do that Verizon nor the manufacture will assist you and you'll be in worst shape than you already are.. 

Here is the Number to Customer Service  1-800-922-0204  or *611  Via  Mobile  use Option 4 ask to talk to a Representative

andrewhost
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks but I bought the phone used on Ebay in December of 2013 and I don't pay for any type of insurance.  I would venture to guess the phone is over 1 year old and I'm not aware of any warranty that would currently cover the phone.  Is it possible it would still be covered under some warranty?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

On that I don't know if insurance can be acquired,  on the date of manufacture it might show it in about phone that's in your settings at the very bottom it may show the Date in like Status or Hardware Information.. you might check there and if you can get insurance on it see if can help in possibly getting you a new device..

All you can do is Try b

0 Likes
andrewhost
Enthusiast - Level 2

Turned out that the micro usb charger port went bad.  I suspect the port just went bad right after the N6 upgrade purely by coincidence.

I bought a brand new one on Ebay titled "New USB Port Dock Charging Charger Flex Cable for Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon i545" for only $6.66 delivered.  Yes, that's right, less than $7 dollars delivered in 3 days.  I watched this Youtube video I found and 20 minutes later my phone is fixed.  We are charging again!!

It Is Fairly Easy to Solve Galaxy S4 Charging Port Problem - YouTube

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Good Job Glad it's working / charging again..

0 Likes