Roaming on S4???
Trelander

I had a standard basic Razr, and had full 4g coverage at work (near mexico boarder in San Diego).

Now with my S4 I have at best 3g, and as of this morning its constantly roaming to Mexico instead of connecting to VZW here. Whats going on? This is supposed to be a more advanced phone, so why can't I connect to 4g in the same place I could 2 months ago with an older phone??

0 Likes
Re: Roaming on S4???
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Trelander,

This is an odd situation indeed. And we want to avoid you running into roaming charges at all costs. Now, let me assure you that there's nothing wrong with your new S4. It simply seems to be connecting to different towers. To help, one thing we would recommend is removing/reinserting the SIM when you're home for a resync with your home network. Next, to make sure you're not constantly roaming, you can disable data roaming by going to settings > more settings > mobile networks > global data roaming access > and denying access.

Evan_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DaveCicconi

I ran into the same situation.  On my previous mobile device, I could disable roaming, and I could re-enable it in those situations where I really wanted it.  I can't on my Verizon Galaxy S4.  This is not a limitation in the device itself, because it can be done on the same device if purchased from Sprint (see: http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Turn_roaming_on_or_off_Samsung_Galaxy_S4/48285-1167).  Rather, it is a limitation in the software that Verizon has Samsung install on the device.  It seems as though I upgraded my device and got a downgrade in this particular capability.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I had to use a different path on my S4.  Settings>Connections>More Networks>Mobile Networks>Global Data Roaming Access> Deny data roaming access.

0 Likes
DaveCicconi

I have had data roaming disabled.  I want to disable roaming for voice and SMS.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I don't believe there is a way to shut off "voice roaming" on the Verizion version of the S4.  Airplane mode is there but that is not the option you are looking for. 

0 Likes
DaveCicconi

I think you're right.  I want Verizon to implement the software feature that Sprint has.  There's a link in my original post.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I to would like to have this feature as I live and travel near the canadian border and there are three locations near where I live and when  I'm in those areas I will get a text message from someone saying "Welcome to Canada! Roaming data may be billed at 2.05 MB per your plan.  Turn off data or use Wifi to  avoid charges".  This while I'm still in the US.  I naturally turn off data but voice roaming is still active and if I get or make a call in those areas, Roaming charges are incurred. 

It would be nice to be able to turn off voice roaming without having to go into AIRPLANE MODE.

Maybe a someone from a Verizion Customer Support will answer the question of how do we turn off voice roaming of the Samsung Galaxy S4 without having to turn on Air Plane Mode??  Turning off Voice Roaming is available on the Sprint GS4 and more than likely the ATT and T Mobile versions.

Thanks

0 Likes