Restore the native text message app?
mstone6365

I'm not sure how, but I have lost the native text messaging app for my S4.  I cannot find it on the phone or in Play...curious if anyone knows how I can get it back...using Chomp now and don't like it...miss the notification that I have a message.  Help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Restore the native text message app?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe you've turned it off?  You shouldn't be able to delete it.  Try going to Settings > More > Application Manager.  At the top, scroll over to the Turned Off tab.  Scroll down and see if the Messaging app is there.  If so, press it and you should then see several choices, including Turn On.  Press that; it should then be in your App drawer again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not in the App drawer?  Maybe it's just hidden?  When you click Apps, then click the Menu button (bottom left of phone), then click Show Hidden Applications.  Do you now see the Messaging app?  If so, press it so that there's a check mark to the upper right of it and press Done at the top right of the screen.  It will then be in your list of apps where you can long-press it and move it to a home screen.

0 Likes
mstone6365

thanks...but no luck...the hidden apps button is grayed out so I assume that means there are no hidden apps on the phone. 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe you've turned it off?  You shouldn't be able to delete it.  Try going to Settings > More > Application Manager.  At the top, scroll over to the Turned Off tab.  Scroll down and see if the Messaging app is there.  If so, press it and you should then see several choices, including Turn On.  Press that; it should then be in your App drawer again.

0 Likes
mstone6365

thank you...that was it...not sure how I turned it off but I did.  I appreciate the help!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome. 

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

mstone6365 wrote:....not sure how I turned it off but I did.

You may not have turned it off - you mentioned using the Chomp texting app.  When you installed and activated that it may have turned off the stock texting app to avoid conflicts.

I assume you've uninstalled or deactivated the Chomp app in order to use the stock app....