Replying to text messages fail after one reply
xyrcncp
Enthusiast - Level 2

This started happening, as far as I know, this morning.  I receive text messages from people just fine, however, if I try to reply, after replying to just one person, all other replies fail sending (to that same person and any others).  Once I reboot, I'm able to send another single reply either to that same person or another person, but again, not a "second" reply text to anyone.  I'm thinking that somehow my SIM card has gone bad.  I say this because last night my phone suddenly gave me the "SIM has been removed" message.  However, after rebooting, the phone was just fine.  I'm posting here, just in case this is more than a SIM card issue.

This is happening to every contact in my phone.  I've tested it with different recipients and devices.  It happens sending to someone on Verizon with a Note 2, sending to someone on AT&T with an iPhone 4S, sending to someone on T-Mobile with a Note 3, etc...

I'm not on WiFi and I'm on full service 4GLTE.  I've rebooted, taken the battery out and rebooted again and same symptoms occur.  Everything else works fine, calls go through, both inbound and outbound, Internet works just fine.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III running 4.3.1

Re: Replying to text messages fail after one reply
outtherandback

I have the same exact issue since Tuesday morning.  It has been very sporadic.

I can make phone calls, surf the internet, receive email, etc. so I don't think its a SIM Card issue.

Same problem...

I can send one text message, but when I go to send another -- it fails.  I can't send a message to anyone on any device or network.  I can't even text myself.  It then worked for the last couple of hours but I am back to having that issue now. 

Need help as this is a HUGE pain.

0 Likes
xyrcncp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Glad I'm not the only one.  I've done searches about this possibly being a network issue but the results give no info.  What's worse is that I'm afraid we'll get no answers here, after seeing some of the results from my search. Smiley Sad

I've defaulted to my backup texting, Google Voice, but since it uses a different number it confuses people when they don't know the number that's texting them.

I know, part of me discards the possibility of it being a SIM card issue since phone calls and data go through just fine, texting is the only issue.

0 Likes
xyrcncp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's the kicker.  I've had people at my job, all of them using Verizon (Note 2, Galaxy S4s, Droids) send and reply to each other messages throughout the day, they have absolutely no issues.  Yet, I'm stuck with basically sending one reply at a time and only after a reboot.

So frustrating.

0 Likes
outtherandback

Yep... I have had the same problem at work as well.  I have asked a bunch of people around and no one has ever heard of this issue before.  This has stumped everyone.  I have tried changing several different settings -- network settings -- everything but nothing has fixed it. 

Have you called Verizon support?

0 Likes
xyrcncp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called after work today and they suggested I go to my local VZW store to get a new SIM.

So I went.  I explained the situation we're having and the guy also said he had never heard of it before.  Before we started any troubleshooting, I told him I would text him and show him the issues.  I had rebooted at work and had not sent any texts until I got to the store.

I sent the guy a text, it went through.

He replied.

I typed a reply, failed.

Rebooted.

Repeated first 3 steps.  His face was like

We went straight to a replacement SIM.  Phone went through activation and all that jazz.

Uninstalled Handcent SMS to eliminate a 3rd party app being the problem. 

Problem remained with stock Messaging.

Was asked if I was rooted, I am and on a non-OEM ROM, but the issue had never come up before. He didn't have an issue with it, he was pretty knowledgeable about ROMs too.

Was asked if I used Google Voice for calls/texts, said no as I only use it for voice mail.  Verified GV is set to not do any calls.

Was asked to try Google Hangouts for SMS, I've never used it for that, so we enabled SMS.  Problem remained.

Rebooted a couple of times, a couple of times was stuck on 3G but eureka!  SMS went through.

Eventually the phone locked in to 4GLTE

So it *seems* that it was the SIM all along.  So far so good, let's see how it goes over the next few days.  Try going to a store and getting a new SIM.

0 Likes
njlowe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had exactly the same issue all week. It's absolutely infuriating. I've tried 3-4 different ROMs, uninstalled any apps that had been updated since around the time this started happening, I've tried several different messaging apps, and tried countless other methods to try and get this to work. I called Verizon Customer Support and and they said that my text messages weren't even getting to the network after the one that worked. I find it funny that this has happened to several people this week. I wonder what's going on.

I guess I'll give the new SIM a try.

0 Likes
xyrcncp
Enthusiast - Level 2

FARK! Guess I spoke too soon Smiley Sad

It's happening again.  Was able to send 2 text messages earlier this morning (one at 7:39am and one at 10:04am) but now that I just tried sending one out, failed.

WTeeF.  Seriously, this is ridiculous.  If it's not the SIM, then it has to be something in the network.

As I've seen in MANY posts in this board, what's the point of this board if no one from Support is here to help?  Is it just for customers to vent and share their stories?

If it wasn't for the fact that Verizon is the only network that works in my company's building (they're our corporate carrier too) I would go back to T-Mobile or AT&T.  I guess these kinds of things are the reason why Verizon's ads now only say they're the "Largest" 4GLTE network and no longer include "Most reliable"?

0 Likes
kmccarron

Exact same issue here, it has been happening to me for almost two weeks now, and i have looked far and wide on the inter-webs for some kind of fix, and have found none. I *HIGHLY* doubt this is an issue with OS so much as an issue with the Verizon network, yet every forum seems to have the same generic outsourced "tech support" replies with not a single thread solved. This is 100% going to impact my decision of if i will re-roll my contract in another month or so. Your move Verizon Wireless.

0 Likes
njlowe
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well that's....very unfortunate. I was really hoping that might fix the issue. Does anyone know how to escalate an issue on these forums?

0 Likes