Re: Problems with 4.3 update, lied to by Verizon tech support
wiseoldunicorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Either you're a Verizon employee, or you're a sad individual with nothing better to do with their time than stick up for companies who are treating their customers like crap on an Internet forum. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you were a Verizon employee, but the other option is equally viable, I suppose.

And yes, I was specifically told that VERIZON did not know about these issues. If he had told me that he personally didn't know about the issues, I would have told him to connect me to someone who did. He specifically said that Verizon did not know anything about the issues and that they had heard nothing from Samsung about them either. I really wish I'd thought to record the call, but unfortunately I didn't.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Basically it depends on the person you speak to at customer service. You can ask if they are aware of any problems with that brand of device in this case Samsung. The company policy may be to deny there is an issue. Why open yourself up as a company to further problems.

Samsung made the device, Samsung must make the update to the OS. It is really that simple. So you were lied to, get over it.

The support people are more than likely told to lie to you to put you off. Makes no difference if verizon tech one is aware of the issue or not, or verizon tech two knows of it, and so on down the line. Deniability must be the stance to avoid legal issues. It is done all the time.

What are you expecting? An apology? A service credit? A canned message about how valuable you are and how important your business is? Hold on a moment I think one or more of those mean nothing replies will be given by the real paid verizon support people that respond here. You will know them by their avitars that show verizon wireless.

And if there was a verizon wireless employee posting here without consent of the company, they would be fired.

So rest easy that its a customer helping customers forum.

Good Luck

Not applicable

Unlike the fridge and TV analogy which is only for a limited time. If either is dead out of the box and or it dies after Best Buys and Home Depots fifteen day return policy, you will be dealing with the makers of both. You call their customer service and if within a year they repair or replace at their option. Some companies have longer warranty or you can buy an extended warranty.

Now Verizon sells a device which can be any manufacturer be it Samsung, LG, Motorola you get 14 days to return it.

After that you get one year of manufacturers warranty on materials and workmanship. If you need loss, theft, water damage you buy an extended warranty. That is the way it is.

Since it not materials or workmanship issues there is not really much verizon can do about a bad operating system update.

You do realize each maker has their own tech support services? In this case Samsung should get the heat not Verizon wireless. I have read via Google that Samsung is aware of the issue and will do something about it.

But until Samsung pushes out a corrected OS, what should Verizon do? As of right now they are just taking complaints.

I firmly advocate that all cellular providers should be like Apple Inc. In that all updates come from the makers of the devices and verizon and others should not touch it. These makers of the devices are sitting there taking your money, pushing out bad updates and watching the cellular companies take the brunt of the complaints.

Good Luck

Tidbits
Legend

^^this...

0 Likes
wiseoldunicorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand Samsung has to fix the update. As I said, I was only calling Verizon so they would send me a new phone. As for what I expected...I didn't realize good customer service was such a mystery to so many people, but since you asked, this is what I expected:

"Yes, a lot of people have been having problems with the 4.3 update on the Galaxy S3. We are aware of the issue, and Samsung is working on a fix. Unfortunately we don't know when the fix will be available, but rest assured we'll get it out to you ASAP. In the meantime, we'll be glad to send you a replacement phone, as not every S3 has been having problems. Hopefully your new phone will work just fine, but if it doesn't, let us know and we'll see what we can do. I am very sorry you're having problems and we do apologize for the inconvenience, and we will try to get either a fix or a 4.4 update out to you as soon as we can."

There. Was that so hard? Look, a Verizon rep even said basically the same thing right here: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1041652#1041652 So no, it's not "company policy." If it was "company policy," Verizon reps wouldn't be able to make posts like the one I just linked.

I guess good customer service has gotten so rare that you guys have legitimately never experienced it and have no idea what it would be like. That's very sad.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Again it is not feasible for verizon to say oh golly gee your device brand has an operating system problem, but because you want the situation fixed immediately let's give you and every other owner a replacement device.

Samsung should send a replacement device since it is their screw up not verizon. Same would apply to any other make of device having the same issues. Now verizon could have said we are aware of the problem, we have no idea when Samsung will give us a corrected update but until then you will have to put up with the bad OS.

Can you imagine what the customers would say or do? Yet it would be getting the heat for something beyond their control.

That post is actually meaningless considering it is one employee who probably got a repremand for saying something out of the printed computer script. It could have been their understand of the Samsung issue. Again more than likely not sanctioned by his emp!oyer.

And yep service has gone downhill since just last week I was on hold waiting to speak to a service rep in the corporate discount department over 45 minutes. But the issue was taken care of. Something's can be to your advantage other times not. It is the way of big business.

Good Luck

0 Likes
rudeguyy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Samsung is most likely at fault for the update since it has occurred on many different carriers. But I still have to hold Verizon somewhat responsible. After this new update I now have Verizon Cloud on my phone..and when I turn on my phone a brand new Verizon logo appears on my screen. So I am sure those had something to do with Verizon..as well as all the added useless bloatware that is put on it. I have tried contacting both Verizon and Samsung and they have both been essentially useless. Perhaps this is only impacting 10% of customers..but that is a very large number of people when you think of how many users have these devices. Needless to say I am unhappy with both and will have no problem switching to a different carrier and different brand. Luckily my phone still works..just has the worst battery life known to mankind so I have to leave it on the charger anytime I am not using it.

Not applicable

Not that my reply will be of comfort to you but yes I have read about the device branding in the carriers. They all do it except not allowed on iphones. Apple has that clout.

On the device its self, a friend of mine was so ticked off with his Samsung Galaxy that he went into the store and paid his termination fee to end his contract. He then had not only a argument with the store people about getting a new iPhone 5s he had someone on the phone as well. He pointed out he had unlimited data which I did not think he had. He said he would buy the iPhone at full price and that he wanted the plan to stay exactly the way it was before he paid out his contract.

I only know he is one mean person. The manager came over and started to speak to him, he said he would throw him through the wall. I was apologizing to the girls who were taking his order. And the lady on the phone.

Needless to say he received what he demanded, I told him his actions were not called for. He said you do things your way and he does things his way. He said he is fully aware of how verizon tries to cheat you. He has been with them for awhile.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

Elector wrote:

Unlike the fridge and TV analogy which is only for a limited time. If either is dead out of the box and or it dies after Best Buys and Home Depots fifteen day return policy, you will be dealing with the makers of both. You call their customer service and if within a year they repair or replace at their option. Some companies have longer warranty or you can buy an extended warranty.

Now Verizon sells a device which can be any manufacturer be it Samsung, LG, Motorola you get 14 days to return it.

After that you get one year of manufacturers warranty on materials and workmanship. If you need loss, theft, water damage you buy an extended warranty. That is the way it is.

Since it not materials or workmanship issues there is not really much verizon can do about a bad operating system update.

You do realize each maker has their own tech support services? In this case Samsung should get the heat not Verizon wireless. I have read via Google that Samsung is aware of the issue and will do something about it.

But until Samsung pushes out a corrected OS, what should Verizon do? As of right now they are just taking complaints.

I firmly advocate that all cellular providers should be like Apple Inc. In that all updates come from the makers of the devices and verizon and others should not touch it. These makers of the devices are sitting there taking your money, pushing out bad updates and watching the cellular companies take the brunt of the complaints.

Good Luck

This case is much different than a product you buy and own forever.  I'll give you that after a certain time in the TV or fridge case you would have to go to the warranty or manufacturer.  In this case, with Verizon there is a contract between Verizon and the consumer, and we are paying Verizon each month for the service.  Also as shown by my own experience and others, the manufacturer won't do anything except send you to Verizon.  I think you are forgetting there is a contract.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Your contract my friend is for service. Not on the device.

You and I pay for connectivity to the Verizon Wireless cellular, data network.

The device no matter where you purchase it is not guaranteed to operate on the carrier if it has a material defect. This could include any system updates. The thing to remember was your device and others had phones that worked prior to the Samsung update. It then falls on Samsung.

If your device was dead out of the box, or the screen touch does not work, or if it keeps rebooting verizon will replace it under the manufacturers one year warranty. However if you really think about it, would not Samsung actually have to repair or replace the device. Verizon does not make the devices, they act as middleman for warranty claim services.

I know its a bummer but it really is the maker of the device that should be compelled to fix the issue

Good Luck