Problems receiving sound notifications on phone when connected to a bluetooth device.
Tracci
Enthusiast - Level 3

Every since I installed the latest update to my galaxy S9 plus (Pie), I've been having issues. If I receive a text message while my bluetooth device is connected, the sound is only coming through my bluetooth device and not my phone, so I basically have to walk around with my bluetooth in my ear to hear my notifications using verizon's message+. It used to be where you would hear sound on both the device and through your bluetooth, but now you can only hear through your bluetooth when a bluetooth is connected. I don't walk around with my bluetooth in my ear all day; however, I do keep it connected all day, so this is a bad feature to take away from us. It's bad enough that we no longer get text message alerts through Message+ when we're on a call. You basically have to keep looking at your phone to see if you got any missed messages. If the issue was that some people don't like hearing notifications while on a call, they already had the option to turn that feature off. Now the users who preferred that option is inconvenienced. These updates are taking away features that we need and prefer instead of creating an option to toggle the feature on/off. I am really bothered that I can no longer get sound notifications on my phone while my bluetooth is connected. I haven't tested all notifications, but I definitely do not hear sound when I get a text message using Verizon's Message+. I hope this is a glitch that can be tested by samsung/verizon and fixed. 

Verizon-Please look into this. It's really frustrating when we're forced to give up features that should remain optional. I have the galaxy S9 Plus and I use the Verizon Message+ Text Messaging App.

Labels (1)
Re: Problems receiving sound notifications on phone when connected to a bluetooth device.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tracci, I get your level of inconvenience regarding the issues with your sound notifications for Message+ when connected to Bluetooth and will be glad to help troubleshoot this problem for you. At this time, do you notice that you miss all types of notifications on your Samsung Galaxy S9+ or it's only an issue with the Message+ app?

Please keep in mind it's never our intention to take away any convenience when it comes to the Message+ app and Verizon Wireless does not develop the software versions/enhancements that are released to Android users. Let's start with resetting the Message+ app on your phone at the link attached. You don't lose your personal text messages but this does reset any changes or customizations you made to the Message+ app. This will help clear out any glitches or functionality issues with the application if any exist. Keep me posted on any changes. Khttps://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-216820/

AlanS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Problems receiving sound notifications on phone when connected to a bluetooth device.
EGRVB6559
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue is not just with the Message + app. You cannot hear any Notification Sounds through the phones speaker when connected to a bluetooth device. The only sound that comes through the phones speaker is when you receive a call, while the bluetooth device is connected. This seems to be an issue with the Android Pie update. Before I upgraded the software, I was able to hear the sound for calls and all other Notification sounds through the phones speaker while connected to bluetooth device. I hope this is addressed in a future software update for Android Pie.

Tracci
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good morning,

No I don't get sound notification from any of the apps on my phone when my bluetooth device is connected (Ring doorbell, Offer Up, Messenger, Facebook, etc.) I only get the sound notification through my earpiece and not both, like I was able to do prior to installing the new software.

Tracci
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm glad that someone else is experiencing this problem. When I called Verizon, they wanted me to do a factory update, which would have reset my phone back to default...and I still would have experienced the same issue. I would have been very upset and frustrated. I hope this is a glitch in the software and not another feature they took away from us. I was so upset when they took away the option to receive message notifications using Message+ when on a call. No LED indicator, no sound, no vibration. You have to just keep checking your phone to see if you received any texts if you're on a call. Verizon said the reason why was because some people complained about hearing notifications while on a call, but we already have an option to turn off notifications during a call, so I'm still not sure why everyone had to be forced to not receive their notifications. I like knowing when I receive a text when I am on a call. I really hope they reconsider this and fix both issues. I've missed so many sound notifications since this software has been installed, and I work in a professional environment where I cannot walk around with a bluetooth device stuck in my ear all day.

I have faith that Verizon will look into and fix this issue.

EGRVB6559
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue is an issue with Android Pie. Samsung Galaxy 9, 9+ and Note 9 devices with other carriers are experiencing the same problem. Verizon and the other carriers need to work with Samsung to resolve this issue. A co-worker upgraded his Note 9 the other day and he is on T Mobile. After he upgraded to Android Pie, his device lost the ability to hear any notifications through the phones speaker while connected to his bluetooth headphones. The only sound that would come through the devices speaker is when he got a phone call. Before the upgrade, he could hear all the notification sounds as well as pone calls through his devices speaker while connected to his bluetooth headphones.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

EGRVB6559, 

A lot of us rely on being able to hear notifications out loud when a Bluetooth device is connected, so we certainly understand why this option is important. There are times when features are omitted from an update by design. However, since we have not received confirmation that this has been the case with Pie, the option we have would be to wipe the cache partition to see if there's something lingering around that's causing an adverse effect. Please use this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-216579/ and follow the steps except on step 4, choose Wipe cache partition. Wiping the cache partition does not erase your personal content but it will help to remove corrupted data that can cause these types of issues. Let us know how things go for you.

ShawnteJ_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tracci, that information is very helpful. We want to make sure that we do everything possible to help as we understand that being able to hear your device notifications is essential. To be sure, are all of your applications up to date in the Play Store app? Have you been able to test another Bluetooth device? If so, does it yield the same results?

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes
EGRVB6559
Enthusiast - Level 2

The suggestion of wiping the cache partition did not work. The issue of not hearing sound for notifications coming from the devices speaker while connected to bluetooth still exists. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for keeping us updated. Try to remove the connection and re-connect it to see if this resolves the issue.  Here is a link with the steps: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-201242/

BrittanyK_VZW

0 Likes