Problems after Update
robshark19
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Samsung Galaxy S5 has been having numerous issues since installing the most recent software update (4.4.4) .  A week ago, my battery would last more than a full day, now it goes from 100% to dead in less than 6 hours. At times it is unresponsive.  I have also had problems with missed and undelivered SMS over both wifi and cell.  How do I revert back to before the update until these issues are resolved?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problems after Update
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

The next move is a full factory default restore. A warning however, while this will take your phone back to the pre-update period...you will have a complete loss of all your apps, accounts, messages, setting and so on. Also the update will start nagging you to download  as soon as your VZW data comes on. You do not need to download the problem update but you will be ask to do so. If you go this route first be sure to backup everything to Google or VZW cloud, this would make it somewhat easier to restore what you need. It 's a very hard call for you to make. Hope all goes well for you and perhaps Verizon will offer some help, but I would not hold my breath on that one. Phone Guy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

First before wiping your phone clean try this. Go to settings then backup and reset, tap Reset settings and tap reset settings at the bottom of the screen. This will not cause a loss of your accounts or any apps, you will affect some of your personal preferences however. You can set then as before after the restart. Note this will not remove that update and I know that is your question. It will however clean out most bad files in your system and a very good bet that it will restore your phone to a more normal operation. Your next step would be to do a full factory reset and that would clear everything. We don't want to go that path unless we must! Give this a try...first.

Lea_1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since the update, my s5 is overheating, battery is draining, and the phone is freezing up all the time.  I feel like this phone has crapped out since the last update which we can not undo.  Before this update, my phone was wonderful and the best ever.  Now, I want to throw it out the window.  I've reset it, restarted, done battery pulls, everything.  I wish they would please fix this and soon!

DarwinDee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have been having this problem for several weeks since stupidly allowing my phone to do the 4.4.4 update. I contacted Verizon's customer service immediately was assured that a fix would be available soon. Evidently they have a different definition of "soon" than I do, as it has been three weeks since they screwed up my phone and still no sign of a fix or even an acknowledgement that there is indeed a problem. Not to mention the annoying visual voice mail app that can't be permanently disabled and keeps popping up notifications every time someone sends me a standard text message.

So what's the deal Verizon Wireless? Are you people incapable or just incompetent? I seriously loved my S5 - until your software update made it such a pain in the ass to use...

robshark19
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried the settings back up and reset.  Did not fix the problem...

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

The next move is a full factory default restore. A warning however, while this will take your phone back to the pre-update period...you will have a complete loss of all your apps, accounts, messages, setting and so on. Also the update will start nagging you to download  as soon as your VZW data comes on. You do not need to download the problem update but you will be ask to do so. If you go this route first be sure to backup everything to Google or VZW cloud, this would make it somewhat easier to restore what you need. It 's a very hard call for you to make. Hope all goes well for you and perhaps Verizon will offer some help, but I would not hold my breath on that one. Phone Guy

0 Likes
robshark19
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did a full factory reset last night (after backing up my data).  So far, it seems to have worked.  Battery life seems better.  Battery is no longer functioning as a space heater.  Just have to give it a couple of days to make sure.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Happy to hear the good news robshark19, another job well done by a Verizon customer ...almost never by Verizon's own tech service. Even a Li-ion battery will need some reforming to increase it useful work/life cycle, so watch that battery and do not change any settings. A good idea is to do a recharge now at around 40% for 2 1/2 to 3 hours with the stock charger and slowly get back to normal. Glad your phone's OK!

DarwinDee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I may have found a partial solution to the battery problem that doesn't require a full factory reset. After reading a few threads on some generic Android boards, I found several mentions of the Samsung Push Service app causing a severe battery drain. On a hunch I disabled this service from the Applications menu and I appear to be back to getting the battery life I've come to expect from my S5. I want to watch it a few days to be sure, but so far so good...

Now if I could only get rid of this annoying Visual Voice Mail app, I'd be a happy camper again.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

On my push app it really has not been hurting the battery, but I know there are some people having a possible battery use problem their. Good to post so people know.

Now if some-one can solve the nag visual voice mail app I think a Very Large number of us would be happy.  I don't think Verizon has a clue...  what problem ???