Problems Switching from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy S4
IHT

I switched from an iPhone to a Samsung. Why do people with iPhones continue to have problems texting me. They tried deleting my iMessage streams and re-entered my phone as a mobile. They still get error messages. It's been a week since I got the Samsung.

By the way, I have deactivated my iphone number on the Apple ID website.

ITH

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problems Switching from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy S4
JChris29
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well hopefully people with this issue will read to the very end. Here is step by step what I did and thanks to "devondeal" before me:

1. Went to Verizon Wireless to get new phone

2. Turned off iMessage on the old iPhone

3. Disassociated my old iPhone from my account online at this link: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do

4. Removed my iPhone from the iTunes Store. (Go to iTunes-->iTunes store--->Account (left hand side)--->Manage Devices--->Remove the phone)

5. Called Apple (1-800-694-7466) and had them remove/disassociate my phone number from the old iPhone. They told me it would take up to 24 hours.

6. ON THE NEW PHONE, texted "Stop" to 48369 and received a message that I was unsubscribed and would no longer receive messages.

7. Texted my girlfriend to send me a test message and VOILA, it worked within minutes of talking with Apple.

I know its alot but I hope this helps everyone. Thanks again devondeal

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JackP3

I'm having the same issues. I'm seriously considering switching to a different carrier and changing my number. This is getting so ridiculous. All I want is to get text messages. I shouldn't have to contact everyone I might know with an iphone and tell them to turn off iMessage....seriously frustrating

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello IHT, let's get to the bottom of this together! Are you able to receive SMS messages from other non-iPhone users? Was this the link you used to unregister your iPhone? https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do This will take a few hours before it updates. You can also text the word Stop to this shortcode: 48369 to unregister. Keep us posted!

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

wingnutks

My wife has done all of these steps, including calling apple and having them remove her number from iMessage.... she did all this a week ago, she is still no receiving some txts from some iPhone users.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JackP3,

I hear you and we don't want to lose you! We want to get those messages flowing ASAP! All you have to do is access your old iPhone and turn off iMessages. If you don't have access to the old phone, simply follow the steps provided by WiltonA_VZW and you will be all set.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JPSchulte

Unfortunately I have turned off iMessage from my iPhone and have called in to deregister. It's been almost 24 hours and it's still not working correctly. The HUGE issue is that I've basically been told "it will eventually start working". Well, I didnt pay you have the money and tell you I'd send the rest when it started working. You are a huge company dealing with another huge company. I PAID THE MONEY AND YOU TOOK IT BUT THE PHONE IS NOT WORKING THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO. If you cant make a device work, you should not be selling them with the assumption that you can use it when you pay right then. There are so many forums and threads about this problem but yet nobody mentioned it at the verizon store. I will not be a customer by this evening is this doesn't resolve. This is piss poor business and terrible communication about switching devices. The largest network is doing a great job of pushing me back to AT&T. Rediculous!!

0 Likes
notsaeh
Enthusiast - Level 2

To IHT and all others,

This is not a Verizon issue.  All carriers are experiencing this.  I switched from iPhone to Moto X and I have had to ask my iPhone friends to switch off iMessage.(as well as me switching it off in my old iPhone)  Works fine.  Some of them tell me that their texting is now faster!!  I also went to Apple customer service and had them de-register my number for my iPhone.  It is an Apple-specific issue.

I will not go into a tirade about Apple and the fact that iMessage is their default messaging protocol (and how it seems deliberate that they have a protocol which cannot communicate across different platforms) but I'll let somebody else do that.  🙂

axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

When you say you asked your iPhone friends to turn off their iMessaging, do you mean disable the service completely so that they can't even use iMessage with other iPhone users? I hope not because that sounds very extreme just to be able to communicate with someone that has an Android phone.

0 Likes
notsaeh
Enthusiast - Level 2

No. By turning off iMessages, their phone simply defaults to standard SMS protocol, which we all use.  They can still message other iPhone users without issue.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

Oh, ok, so by turning if off, it effectively uses SMS as the default send method UNLESS the intended recipient has an iPhone, in which case it will use iMessage, is that correct?

0 Likes