Problem when installing new system update VRU2APB5 on Galaxy S7 Edge
Coamex

Today I noticed there was a new system update on my wife's S7 ending in VRU2APB5. I proceeded to install it on her phone and it did it perfectly. No issues. I got my S7 Edge and downloaded the update and when it asked me to either Install Now or Later, I selected Now. At that moment the screen froze uncharacteristically and essentially the phone crashed (screen went dark / shut down) and then restarted. However, I noticed that the normal update process did not happen. The Android logo did not come up, no completion percentage, nothing. So, I proceeded to access my phone's settings and tried to access "System Updates." When I selected it, the system would not allow me to enter the section, but rather display the pop-up message "Software update is in progress." Which it has been displaying for the last 2 hours, meaning that it is obviously not true since my wife's S7 did the whole update in like 10 minutes.

Obviously, when I selected INSTALL NOW, something went wrong that caused the phone to crash and now I fear that the update process was "hung" with the phone thinking it is updating when it is not the case. I tried everything: Turning it off, restarting it, stopping System Apps related to system updates or app updates and trying again...and NOTHING. Still the same message. I contacted Samsung's Support and the chat rep was baffled, did not know how to fix it and gave me a ticket to call their phone support. Sigh.

ANY HELP from Verizon here?? After all, it is your update, correct? I am really upset that this happen to my brand new phone. Hopefully I can get help quick to fix this issue without having to do like a factory reset or anything crazy like that, because if that is the case I will NEVER feel comfortable installing any other system updates again. Please HELP!

0 Likes
Re: Problem when installing new system update VRU2APB5 on Galaxy S7 Edge
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try the Software Upgrade Assistant? Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Software Update | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The Samsung Galaxy S7s' are awesome devices,Coamex. I am sorry to hear that your update did not go as planned. We do have a software upgrade assistant for when this type of issue happens. Here is how to access it. http://vz.to/1cZq2xX

0 Likes
Coamex

Hi. Thank you. I installed the software upgrade assistant, but it did not help, as it is not indicating there is a new system update VRU2APB5 available. It just tells me that my phone is up to date with the PB4. Hence, I am still experiencing the issue described above. Either the update is fairly new to the point that your own Upgrade tool does not recognize, yet, that there is an update available for my phone, or something is wrong. But the truth is that there is a new Verizon update out for S7s and S7 Edges out (PB5) and I had to be the one whose phone crashed through it, of course. I need help. Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Coamex,

Thanks for the update. At this point it may be best to reset the device completely and they allow the update to install. You can see how to Erase All Content & Settings here http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s7/. Before resetting the device let's make sure everything is backed up. See how to back up here http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-78396/.

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
xusnflyer96
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I have the Samsung Galaxy S7 and got a notice that a system update was available (to build number G930VVRU2APB5) and went ahead to update.  Once I updated, the phone worked like normal except when I went to make a call and then all it would do is switch to the contact and I'd tap on call and it looked like it would try to make the call but it never got placed and even tried Verizon's test call number (#832) and it couldn't call that either.  I tried shutting down and cold booting and did a restart, nothing worked.  Both wifi and 4G signal were full strength and went through the VZW troubleshooter and restarted in "safe mode" and I could make a call then (normal and test call) and then restarted to normal mode and the test call worked.

Just my opinion, I would not upgrade from B4 to B5 for a little while unless you're having issues as it was only to improve wireless connectivity and something else.  As I spent 5 hours trying everything Verizon suggests online, so I won't update my phone until the update has been released for a while as this update prevented me from calling my 7 year old son to wish him a Happy Easter.

I just hope I have got it working correctly now........

0 Likes