Re: Poor overall signal strength
john51
Contributor - Level 1

tk63, that's too bad. My reception is so bad where I am at home I had to buy a network extender. In my office the S4 is good as far as reception goes. Verizon will not work with you?  To me they should swap it out for a different model.

Good Luck!!

0 Likes
john51
Contributor - Level 1

Couple of other thoughts, try going to a Verizon store and getting a new sim card, shouldn't matter but might be worth a try. Also are you using any kind of case? Last thought is to do a battery pull and pull the sim card at home so it registers. I heard that is the same as doing an update on a 3G phone. None might make a difference but worth a try.

0 Likes
Jason_Kirk
Enthusiast - Level 1

I enjoy my S4.. But I have to agree my Thunderbolt and Rezound seemed like they always got better signal...

Good Luck!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi tk63!

I'm sorry to see that your new phone does not get the same signal reception level as your previous phone. Many factors may cause such variation and while structural interference may impact some devices more than others, structural interference is an issue that is totally outside of our control. How is your service outside the house? I recommend removing the SIM card for one minute http://vz.to/11uvxaj to reprogram your phone and test. If issue continues please stop by a Verizon Wireless store http://bit.ly/3SdsA and get a SIM card replacement as this may also improve signal reception. If you are still within 14 day of purchase http://bit.ly/IeiJI you may want to consider exchanging the phone for a different model and see if that makes a difference. Ultimately, the best way to tackle structural interference is with a Network Extender http://vz.to/IHRT6h as this one time investment has resolved indoor service issues for most customer experiencing indoor service issues.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
tk63
Enthusiast - Level 2

AntonioC_VZW,

Thanks for your reply.  However, respectfully I believe that you have missed the point that I am making.   First, the rep replaced the SIM card in the original phone, but this had no impact / improvement on the signal strength.  Then, the original phone was replaced with a new S4 again this had no impact / improvement on the signal strength.

As my previous posts have detailed, I have never had indoor service issues regarding signal strength with any of my previous cell phones, including my other smartphone the HTC Thunderbolt, until I purchased the Samsung S4.  I purchased the Thunderbolt 3 years ago in early 2011, and enjoyed consistent and excellent signal strength from that time without exception.  I NEVER had a single dropped or missed call within my home.  However, this brand new Samsung S4 has extremely poor signal strength from this very same location within my home.  Therefore, the signal strength issue that I am having has nothing to do with the strength of our local network service, nor with the materials that my home was built with.  It is clearly, a fundamental issue in the design and/or manufacturing quality of the phone itself, the Samsung S4, wouldn't you agree?

Verizon is responsible for providing a level of service matching the cost that it charges its customers.  It should certainly not be the responsibility of the customer to pay additional costs required to compensate for a deficient product, such as adding a network extender as you suggest.  There was no need for such an extender with my previous phone the Thunderbolt.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tk63,

I completely understand the issue you are having with the S4. This is not a reported issue Samsung or Verizon is experiencing with the vast majority of these phones, so it is surprising to hear that even after both the SIM card and the actual phone was replaced you were still experiencing the same thing. Are you still within your 14 day Worry Free timeframe?

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rodneywc

I had an iPhone 4 on the at&t network with Straight Talk and had no issues with reception. Now I have the Samsung s4 on Verizon and reception is terrible in the same areas where my previous phone worked great. Customer service has not been any help other than suggesting I buy an extender.  Paying more money and getting junk reception!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We depend on our phones more and more everyday, so I completely understand the need of a reliable device! Lets see what is going on rodneywc! How does the service work outside of your home? Is anyone else having issues? Did we file a resolution ticket? Additionally, what is your zip code?

I am looking forward to hearing back from you!

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
donr1961
Enthusiast - Level 2

My sister has Sprint and her signal was low to and sprint sent her out a network extenders for free. Now she has really good signal in her home. I think Verizon should do the same!

fdschaeffer

I am having the exact same problems with the Galaxy S4 in multiple areas/cities, and have never had issues with other phones. Moreover, the Moto X on my account has no issues at all. I have been through 3 S4s and 4 SIMs, and Verizon has been completely unable/unwilling to fix the problem. A repeater is not an option because at home, signal is decent. It is when I'm out and about that I have the majority of my issues.

At this point, if Verizon isn't going to give me some options to fix the phone they sold me, the solution looks like moving to a different carrier.

0 Likes