Re: Poor overall signal strength
brian8574
Enthusiast - Level 2

I couldn’t agree more

Attachments removed as they contained private information not permitted by Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
brian8574
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is one reason we dropped Verizon on our other plan

Attachments removed as they contained private information not permitted by Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there brian8574!

The Galaxy S4 is a fantastic device and I definitely want you to be able to use it whenever you need it. I'm regretful to learn you're also experiencing concerns. I want to ensure I clarify, are you having concerns with calls/text/data? Does this happen indoor, outdoor, multiple locations? What zip code are you located in?

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
brian8574
Enthusiast - Level 2

MOSTLY DATA BUT LATELY MORE AND MORE CALLS AND TEXT. DOESN’T MATTER IN DOORS OR OUT DOORS. I AM AT 1X WITH ONE OR MAYBE 2 BARS. WORST ZIP IS 61310 BUT ALSO IN AREAS SURROUNDING THAT ZIP

>> Personal information removed to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for the information, brian8574.
For everyone, there are some additional things we can check. As we know, different phones may have different types of performance  even when in the same area.
We first ask that you remove an cases or attached accessories to make sure the antenna is not obstructed.

Also, remove & reinsert the SIM. If you have another SIM in the household (even from a family member's phone) you can insert that to ensure there isn't anything wrong with your SIM.

Please check the network mode for LTE/CDMA http://vz.to/1ebehCT.
Power it off/on and test the data again.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jth2013

Reception issues out of the box  with my first S4.  First, I LOVE the phone.  The menu  structure and camera are the great.

Good signal strength in a rural area is the most import thing for me.

Verizon  has replaced my Galaxy S4 three times in the last 4 months to try and get a phone with good reception.  I have sat side by side  with other Verizon customers using their phones(motorolas) for  calls & data, yet I had NO signal.  I could not do anything.  This has become a constant problem with  the S4's I have tried.  It has been the exact same on all three S4 phones.

I  am trying very hard not to knock the phone.  I absolutely love the menu  structure.  The menu structure and the camera is why I chose the S4.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to use  them and I will have to settle for less.

The  last straw.  I also have a Verizon MiFi hotspot.  I was sitting with  Verizon friends who were making calls, texting and surfing the internet  (they each had 2 bars of signal strength showing).  I had ZERO bars of  anything.  I turned on the MiFi and it had 4 bars of signal.  I  connected my S4 to the MiFi via wireless and made my calls using Skype  & Magic Jack!!  Since then I have noticed that my MiFi will have 4-5  bars when the S4 has 1 or none??

I  tried real hard to stay with the S4, but its lack of reception  forced  me to a different manufacturer.  Now on my 4th phone in 5  months. Traded in my S4 for the Motorola Maxx.  Now, I  have signal in areas that I had none on the S4.   The menu, camera and  just plain basic functionality on the Maxx is no where as nice as on the  S4, but I can make calls where I could not with the S4.  Besides being  able to use the phone, the battery is the only thing the Maxx has the S4  beat at.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JTH2013

Glad to hear that you got a working phone.  Both phones are awesome! What issues are you having with the interface on the new phone?  We have awesome wireless workshops to help you with your new phone.  http://bit.ly/oc2kd5

Thank you,
RobinD_VZW
Tweet us @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tk63
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just "upgraded" on March 5, 2014 by buying the Galaxy 4S to replace my 2011 HTC Thunderbolt.  As some other posts have noted, everything about the 4S is great EXCEPT FOR THE SIGNAL STRENGTH.

First of all, this phone was intended to replace a 3 year old HTC phone which consistently registered 4 of 5 bars at my house, and in my upstairs level all 5 bars.  My brand new 4S never gets better than 2 bars anywhere in my house, and sometimes shows 1 or none as a direct comparison.  I just did a head to head comparison with both phones just now.  I have also experienced many missed calls (going straight to voicemail, never registering on my recent calls log) and drops as a result

I went back to Costco and mentioned the unacceptable signal strength, and the rep suggested to replace the SIM card noting that sometimes the cards are corrupted, which he did.  The new SIM card had absolutely no affect on the signal strength of the phone.  I again went back to Costco today, and they replaced the original 4S with a brand new 4S.  And, I just now got back home and there is NO CHANGE again in the signal strength of the 4S.

Therefore, it is obvious based on the information that I shared above that this has absolutely nothing to do with the signal strength in my area (again, my 3 year old HTC Thunderbolt is still getting 4 or 5 bars consistently RIGHT NOW .... this is a 3 year old phone!).

Verizon, this is absolutely unacceptable.

I have not had a land line at home for 10 years and have successfully relied on wireless service making calls inside my house.

john51
Contributor - Level 1

I am connected to a network extender and see the exact same issue. My question is, how is the call quality? Do you have dropped calls? Are the calls clear? It might be am issue with Samsung and how it shows the signal there. I had this mentioned to me by a Verizon tech.

0 Likes
tk63
Enthusiast - Level 2

john51,

Yes, I have experienced poor service with missed calls (that go directly to voicemail and never display in my recent calls log) as well as clarity issues during calls and drops.

I did a Google search to learn about signal strength and learned that all android phones track the current signal strength to the phone.  This can be found by going to Settings/More networks/Mobile networks.  The strength is measured in dBm, which is an industry standard.  The range is from a low of -120 dBm (0/1 bar) to a high of -60 dBm (5 bars).  Commentary online suggest that at the -110 dBm level this is extremely poor signal strength and the point where dropped and missed calls are the rule.

Next, I compared my new Samsung 4S to my 3-year old HTC Thunderbolt at the same time.  I pulled up the Signal strength display for both phones sitting side by side in my living room.  The 4S showed a signal strength of -111 dBm while the Thunderbolt showed a signal strength of -71 dBm.  I then did a Google search to try to see if this was a common problem with the 4S and found many other blogs/threads complaining of the very same signal strength issue with the 4S (I have friends that have complained about the same issue with the 3S).

Based on this objective information, the only conclusion to arrive at is that this is a specific defect with the Samsung Galaxy 4S. The signal strength comparison above confirms that there is no issue in my local area with network quality/strength, my proximity to the nearest tower, or certain materials that were used to build my home.  It is an issue with the phone.  Unfortunately, I like absolutely everything else about the phone (the camera, the display, the speed, etc).  However, since I purchased this product primarily as a PHONE, and since it is not reliable as a phone I am forced to look at other options.

I just wish that Verizon and/or its retail partners would have passed this information along to me before I purchased this phone.  As a result, I have had to spend my own valuable time learning of the deficiencies of this product.  This is very poor customer service at the very least – and for the cost of the service I would suggest more than just that.

0 Likes