Poor WiFi
Kjmeehan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a s5 same as my wife we both have the same problem WiFi constantly changing data overages phone ether has to be on just WiFi or just mobile data with both on phone just locks up and we are on two separate plans and always going over our data plan anyone else having the same problems? ???? [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Poor WiFi
evol073
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm sorry but I don't fully understand your question but I am going to try and help because maybe I do.

I'm not sure if you mean your wifi is intermittent and is cutting out or disconnecting or if you mean its using both data and wifi to do everything

First I check in your drop down menu to see if download booster is on. The galaxy S5 was the first device they released with the feature of being able to download on both data and wifi at the same time to improve download speeds but at the expense of battery life and data charges (carriers probably helped influence this becoming a thing) Less common known fact is that it was very common for that feature to actually be turned on by default.

If your wifi is intermittent there is a couple of possibilities.

1. You need to update some component of your home network. Do you use it on other wifi networks and have any issues or does it seem to stay connected to the other networks? One of your network devices may be failing or may just need reset usually a small button on it or else you can just unplug it for like 30 seconds itll take about a minute to get back on but usually helps.

2. If the device doesn't stay connected to other networks either then there may be an issue with device itself. There is three possibilities

1. There's something wrong with the software on the device. Solution would be to factory reset the device

2. The wifi amplifying antenna has gone bad. Consult a local repair center about possible replacement.

3. The wifi chip has gone bad. There seems to be a large amount of phones released around the same era as the galaxy s5 that seem to have wifi card failure (LG, Apple, Samsung, ect.) usually that results in you not being able to turn on the wifi but may result in intermittent until they do fail.

2 and 3 could also be from having your phone repaired. Have you had a repair center repair anything in your phone? They may have damaged something. Or else have you filed an insurance claim on the device and they sent you a "New" phone? That phone is not actually new it is a refurbished phone and was probably done by a lazy tech being pushed to make a quota. They just tell you its new as a sales gimmick. Sorry guys gotta love the fine print.

I hope I was able to help with your issue. Feel free to pick my brain with other questions.

View solution in original post

bearone21
Legend

your wi-fi is weaker than the network, check the modem, router & router firmware up to date.

the verizon share plan is pretty slick, more gig's for the money & the price stays about the same.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Using WiFi is a great way to limit data usage so I'm glad to hear you are interested in doing that.  It does look like you were given some excellent information on how to check your wifi settings to assist you. 

MatthewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
evol073
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm sorry but I don't fully understand your question but I am going to try and help because maybe I do.

I'm not sure if you mean your wifi is intermittent and is cutting out or disconnecting or if you mean its using both data and wifi to do everything

First I check in your drop down menu to see if download booster is on. The galaxy S5 was the first device they released with the feature of being able to download on both data and wifi at the same time to improve download speeds but at the expense of battery life and data charges (carriers probably helped influence this becoming a thing) Less common known fact is that it was very common for that feature to actually be turned on by default.

If your wifi is intermittent there is a couple of possibilities.

1. You need to update some component of your home network. Do you use it on other wifi networks and have any issues or does it seem to stay connected to the other networks? One of your network devices may be failing or may just need reset usually a small button on it or else you can just unplug it for like 30 seconds itll take about a minute to get back on but usually helps.

2. If the device doesn't stay connected to other networks either then there may be an issue with device itself. There is three possibilities

1. There's something wrong with the software on the device. Solution would be to factory reset the device

2. The wifi amplifying antenna has gone bad. Consult a local repair center about possible replacement.

3. The wifi chip has gone bad. There seems to be a large amount of phones released around the same era as the galaxy s5 that seem to have wifi card failure (LG, Apple, Samsung, ect.) usually that results in you not being able to turn on the wifi but may result in intermittent until they do fail.

2 and 3 could also be from having your phone repaired. Have you had a repair center repair anything in your phone? They may have damaged something. Or else have you filed an insurance claim on the device and they sent you a "New" phone? That phone is not actually new it is a refurbished phone and was probably done by a lazy tech being pushed to make a quota. They just tell you its new as a sales gimmick. Sorry guys gotta love the fine print.

I hope I was able to help with your issue. Feel free to pick my brain with other questions.

evol073
Enthusiast - Level 3

I apologize that information about the download booster settings is wrong if you have updated to lollipop in order to turn that off you actually need to go to settings>more networks and should be right on top sorry about that

0 Likes