Re: On my 3rd replacement phone--does VW ever replace a "lemon" with a new one?
attila1

Yes, same old line which translates to "we have zero interest in helping you unless you'd like to spend MORE money."

0 Likes
joonhyuk
Contributor - Level 1

The issue is that you cannot receive a new device even from Samsung. They only have an agreement to distribute refurbished phones. That's the issue. New devices are going to be purchased separately or through an upgrade.

It frustrates me to see that this is where we are now in a oligopoly where service is determined by only a few carriers and the consumer is stuck with the same horrible service.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Doesn't seem they are really being certified, nor conditioned to "like new" condition.

That's a warranty that's no warranty.

0 Likes
shaggydog82
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm done with Verizon! ! Just spent another 2 hrs on phone with tech support and pretty much tech guy said it was my fault the phone is overheating!  This is my 4th s4 in the past few months and they all overheat! I like to stream shows from my phone to my TV with the Verizon/samsung MHL adapter.  Any time I use the adapter the phone overheats because the adapter uses the USB charger. I've always streamed shows and this overheating issue didn't start until the kit kat update. The Verizon rep really angered me by telling me I'm using the phone for stuff its not meant to do. That's bull!!! The s4 is made to stream shows and various things !  How come this issue only started after the kit kat update! The Verizon rep couldn't answer that! So Verizon's philosophy is if they can't figure out the problem,  they blame the customer!  Poor customer service! ! I'm sooo DONE WITH VERIZON!  THANK GOD I'm no LONGER AM ON CONTRACT!   There r plenty of other carriers that offer unlimited data for 1/2 the price of Verizon!  I've been with Verizon for over 5yrs and tired of the tech support people not listening to my problems with the phone and frankly insulted that Verizon has the nerve to tell me it's my fault the phone is malfunctioning! !! I WILL TAKE MY MONEY ELSEWHERE!  I AM DISGUSTED WITH VERIZON!  I have screen shot after screen shot of the phone overheating and u don't even have an email address or nothing! Bye bye Verizon - u lost this customer!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Look at your owners manual. It states warranty is from the device maker and to contact them. All of them have toll free numbers for support services and web sites.

Verizon as a courtesy swaps devices for their customers. They do not warrant any devices.

You can complain about Verizon not doing this or that but as a retailer just like Walmart or Best Buy if you buy from them Walmart or Best Buy does not warrant your device past 15 days. After that you deal with the device makers.

Verizon did not make your device. Verizon does not have to fix it, update it or warrantee it.

You are supposed to use the one year manufacturer warranty from the manufacturer not Verizon.

Good Luck

shaggydog82
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did contact samsung- several times.  I also took the phones to the samsung store several times and had the samsung rep try fixing 3 different phones.  I'm upset with Verizon because almost every time I call tech support,  they do not listen to me. I'm trying to tell the rep what's going on with the phone when it overheats, but they're not listening.   This phone was made for streaming but i cant do that.  The phone should not overheat when using a samsung MHL adapter but it repeatedly does.  Any time I have it on the charger and my screen is on it overheats.  I don't think a phone is supposed to overheat only charging like 20 minutes.  Tech support isn't listening to me. They ask me to use the phone as I normally would when it over heats to run a diagnostic,  so I hook up my phone to my Samsung MHL adapter and the rep tell me to take it off of the adapter.   I'm trying to use the phone as I usually would but Verizon says " well of course it's going to overheat if u have it on the charger". I've never had a phone overheat when charging. And that's how the samsung/Verizon MHL adapter is set up!  U have to have the USB attached to the adapter!  This product was bought from Verizon!   That's the frustrating part! And I pay for extended warranty and insurance every month through Verizon so yeah- I'm upset with them because they decide what phone model to send.  Every time u call it's always a different rep and a different answers.   I payed alot of money for this phone and for my verizon services each month. I should be able to use my phone without it overheating.   THINK B4 U SPEAK NEXT TIME! Everyone's situation and experiences are different & unique!  When u have spent as much time and money as I have with this issue you'd be upset too!!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Its a fact that batteries are made to stop charging before they get to that hot to handle state. So yes there is a problem.

However do not use Verizon use Samsung since you state you went to them and evidently they did not honor their own warranty conditions.

You have choices, you can take Samsung to small claims court for failure to provide the warranty. You can seek help from your state attorney generals office (consumer frauds & protections bureau)

You can also file a complaint with the BBB http://www.BBB.org

Against Samsung and Verizon if you wish. However Verizon sells you a service to the cellular and data network nothing more.

When you say you purchased from Verizon that is Verizon as a retailer just like I told you before like Walmart or Best Buy or Target. After 15 days you must deal with the device maker not Verizon wireless. They did not make the device.

And how much you paid for it means nothing. There are many devices ranging in value from $500-$800 which most customers pay $199 or less and then say how much they spent.

If you pay full price that is a load of money.

Additionally you did not buy insurance from Verizon you purchased insurance from Asurian who Verizon wireless collects the premiums for. Verizon does not own or run any insurance company.

Good Luck

B33
Legend

Try charging the phone in the off position or make sure all your apps are cleared off from the phone to do that tap the double square box next to your home button then swipe the screen to the right or Left till all the apps are cleared off..

And try this app  System Panel App it is Free or you can pay $2.99 one time fee and minuses the Adds and adds a few more functions to the app.. Try the above you might try a battery pull as well..

Give these I mentioned a Try and post back.. b33

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I find little use for that application anymore. Android OS has evolved enough that I can get the pertinent information about why the phone is misbehaving from the OS itself and not a third party app.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
stgmngr210
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon should not be placing devices that are potential burn hazards into the hands of their customers. Use the word "liability" at every opportunity.

"Chat" with tech support (so that you have a written record, and, I have found that tech support is FAR more helpful than customer service), and ask them point blank if there is a Verizon policy about devices that overheat.

If they tell you no...they are misinformed. Yes, Samsung makes the device.  But, Verizon is putting it into the hands of their customers.  If it repeatedly overheats, and you inform them...it is a liability issue. 

I was put in a position two weeks ago where my S4 overheated (24 hours after activation), and wouldn't read the sim card.  Took it to a verizon store to find out the sim card reader fried.  Leaving me with no phone at all.  No network=no service at all.  Not even 911.  Unfortunately, 48 hours into having a phone that could not make calls, I NEEDED to call for help when I was followed late at night on my way home from work.

Again: "chat" with tech support. Ask them specifically about a policy relating to products that get dangerously hot.

Samsung will not help you. They are the absolutely worst customer service I have ever, ever, ever dealt with.

0 Likes