Not receiving some text messages on S5. Never owned an iPhone.
jmcqueenb

Discovered I've been missing text messages - from iphone users, from android users, individual messages, group messages/conversations - I'm just not receiving the texts. Seems random with no pattern. I can send texts fine.

I have done a hard reboot (took battery out). Don't know what else to even try.

I sure hope someone can help.

I use my phone HEAVILY for work.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not receiving some text messages on S5. Never owned an iPhone.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a strange one, jmcqueenb! Please have your friend check his phone in the message settings, and be sure that Send as SMS is turned in, in addition to iMessage. Sometimes this can cause issues texting those with non iPhone numbers.

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jmcqueenb!

Messages are so important, and I know you want to know when others are replying to your messages, and what they are saying! When did this begin? If you send a message to your own number, what happens? Any error messages received?

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
jmcqueenb

It appears to have started about 3 or 4 days ago. Although I just figured out today that I was truly missing a number of texts from a number of people.

I can send a text message to myself fine.

I just now had one iphone user and one android user "test" text me and I received both texts.

But earlier this evening, there were two iphone users who replied to a group message I sent and I didn't receive their replies.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hmm, let's keep digging jmcqueenb. Were any new applications downloaded to your phone before this started? Are you using the default message application? Can you please check if there are updates available for both the message application through the Play Store and for your device. For your device, please go to Settings>Software Update>Check for new.

AndreaS_VZW

0 Likes
jmcqueenb

4 apps installed fairly recently, but none coinciding directly with this problem of receiving text messages. I'm willing to uninstall them (tell me how so they're really *gone*) and see if that makes a difference.

I'm using native Samsung S5 messaging app "Messages".  It's definitely set as my default app. It shows Google Hangouts as the other choice.

Don't know where to check for 'updates' for Messages app, I think it just updates when the System updates.  Did check for any system updates and it says I'm currently up to date.

Really appreciate your help -

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I think you're right, jmcqueenb!

Can I ask, does it seem to be group messages specifically that you're not receiving? What about picture messages? Can you send and receive those? If you're not sure, please try and update us with the results.

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes
jmcqueenb

I deleted 4 most recent apps installed. Also followed instructions from verizon/galaxy S5/troubleshooter information online to clear cache, etc.

I have it narrowed it down to this;  I can receive texts, including texts sent in reply to a Group message, UNLESS the Group message contains one specific person/recipient.  If his number is included, then I don't receive any replies to the Group message at all, regardless of who they're from.

If we leave his number off the Group message, I get any text replies fine.

Very odd. This person just got a new iPhone 6+ about a month ago, but...... ?  How could anything to do with their new phone be 'jamming' my ability to receive replies in Group messaging?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a strange one, jmcqueenb! Please have your friend check his phone in the message settings, and be sure that Send as SMS is turned in, in addition to iMessage. Sometimes this can cause issues texting those with non iPhone numbers.

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes