Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,523 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Not getting emergency alerts on my Galaxy S7??
Kali284
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently realized that I am no longer getting emergency alerts on my Galaxy S7.  I have reviewed both Verizon and Androids pages on what the settings should be, and my phone has notifications for alerts turned on.  However, I haven't gotten an alert in a couple of years.  No Amber Alerts, to weather warnings etc. 

It really hit home for me last night when I was at my daughter's voice lesson and a bad storm was approaching.  I was the only parent in the waiting room who did not get an alert about the severe weather.  I don't know the carriers of all of the other parents, but I would hope that those authorized to send such alerts are not sending them to only specific carriers.

This is so annoying.  I read on another forum that this seems to be an ongoing issue with Verizon (as late as Dec. 2017) - anyone have an update or know what might fix this?

Tags (1)
Re: Not getting emergency alerts on my Galaxy S7??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ensuring you get the alerts is essential, Kali284. We always want to make sure all your services are working as intended. Have you ever received the emergency alerts on this phone? Are other notifications and alerts working? Were other data services working with your phone during the last alert, that you can recall?

NicoleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I also have the S7 Edge and I have seen a lot of owners of this phone having the same problem.

At this point I think there is something wrong with the factory settings on the phone. Not all S7's have this problem. I just think that the ones that are having this problem are the phone that were made on Friday's as they say in the business. I live in tornado alley and have never received a tornado warning  since I owned this phone in over a year and a half. Of course in that amount of time there have been a lot of warnings in my area.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your emergency alert concerns. We understand just how important that heads up can be. Let's ensure we resolve this. Please make sure that the settings are turned on. Here's how: 

1. Launch the Settings app from your Home screen or from the app drawer.
  2. Tap Privacy and emergency.
  3. Tap Emergency alerts.

4. Tap Settings in the top right corner of the screen.
  5. Tap Alert types.
  6. Tap the toggle next to each alert type to turn it on or off.

Please let us know if all of your alerts are toggled on. 

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Like I said I have had this problem since I owned this phone and have been on here asking about this for over a year and a half. I have gone thru ever setting on this phone and they all set to where they are supposed to be. I have read all about FEMA sending out these warnings and that it is not Verizon doing it. I just think that something is wrong inside this phone as regard to it receiving these messages. I have a S5 that is not activated and it receives the alerts when I have it turned on. Granddaughter and son have Iphones and when they are here their phones gets the alerts and they are on the same account with us. It is the phones it self and I wish Samsung or Verizon can find out what it is. Whether it is hardware or software it needs to be fixed as soon as possible 

JONPHI76
Enthusiast - Level 1

There were 3 alerts sent out in my area today by a State agency. I didn't get any of them. The iPhone of the person I was with did. My husband's old Samsung Note did but his S7 work phone did not. I went to chat in the My Verizon app on my phone. They made me check all of the same settings as all the other forums I have been reading. Then told me if I reset my network settings and restarted my phone everything would work fine. Not true. About 30 minutes later the 3rd alert was received on the iPhone next to me and I got nothing. So I am on chat again. Going through all the same settings checks. Again. They told me I had to call technical support. They had me check the same settings. Then she said she was going to sync the network with my line on her end and that will fix it. But, I won't know until another alert is issued. Hopefully it won't be an imminent threat.

gddeals
Enthusiast - Level 3

same thing happening to me, everyone around me got an amber alert, i got nothing.

Kali284
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just realized there was a response to this - I didn't get an email notification.  To answer VZ's customer support - yes, all other data functions were working.  In fact, I was surfing Facebook at the time.  All of my settings are correct per the instructions above - I am set to receive ALL emergency alerts.

It happened again two nights ago.  A severe storm with flooding was coming. My daughter's Pixel was on the dining room table, less than 12" from mine.  Her phone is on my plan.  Her phone started sounding the alert, but my phone was silent.

I used to get alerts when I first purchased my phone, I think, but it's been so long since I have gotten an alert, that I cannot say with any certainty.

I have a LOT of things turned off for notifications under the notifications heading in my settings, and I can't help but wonder if there is a secondary way to turn this off that isn't obvious.

It is disappointing that on the numerous threads I have read on this topic, the answer is always check your settings and then "I don't know" or radio silence from support.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If there is some alternative app available that provides the same functionality of the stock app, I would suggest giving it a whirl.

I have not received any notifications via the stock app on my S7E, but, the state that I live in has its own notification app for Android and iOS devices. It works quite well.

I only wish that the creator would make a version of the app for Windows devices.

Tannaa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem here.  All settings correct.   Verizon had known about this issue for a year (other posts same issues) and still no solution.   Verizon tries to blame everybody but accept that they eroded and find a solution.  Very frustrating especially since they overcharge all of us for services they won't fix